How should Unicron fit in with idw Universe?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by gregles, May 30, 2013.

1. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Kind of like the Cybertron Unicron.

2. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    All else being equal, with no knowledge of upcoming plotlines, my preferred role for Unicron in this timeline would be one-shot villain of an annual or miniseries. Then after that societal consequences could reverberate and he could be worshipped as a god by certain Transformers.

3. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    I would like the see Unicron written in a fashion similar to a Lovecraftian Elder God., ancient, unspeakable evil that to simply look upon him is to invite madness into your mind and darkness into your heart. take about a year or so to set up his appearance, using his Heralds and worshippers. leave Galvtaron, Scourge, and Cyclonus out of it, I kinda dig what idw has done with them already. maybe use some lesser utilized obscure g1 dudes like Mindwipe, Octopunch and Deathsaurus.

and most importantly, make the Final battle with Unicron himself EPIC

and afterwards let Unicron's coming have major repercussions afterwards

4. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Before the latest issue I was betting that Luna-1 was in fact Unicron (created after Mortilus' defeat, possibly), with the whole 'seething moon' and 'wandering moon' titles it has, but now I'm not so sure.

I would prefer it if he was treated similarly as Primus though. Leave it unclear just what he is, aside from a really bad thing.

5. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I have no interest in seeing Unicron in the comics.

I like reasonablely-scaled epic. I don't think the whole cybertronian race team up against a planetary evil works very well in comics.

6. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    I kind of hope he doesn't really, 'cause if he does, the air of mystery surrounding Cybertronian theism in IDW gets thrown out the window.

I mean, if Primus' opposite is right there eating that moon, chances are Primus definitely existed too, and that's boring.

If Unicron did show up, I'd hope that we'd get an interesting new interpretation, like what Transformers Prime did, and not a straight-up big hungry robot guy, and also that there'd be ambiguity as to whether it is actually a Cybertronian god, or just some kind of common or garden eldritch horror that perhaps inspired the Cybertronian legend. Basically I'd want him not to show up and be all "I AM UNICRON!"

7. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    I would mind Unicron being treated as some kind of Lovecraftian horror or something that doesn't actaully show up in the story.

You can still have like Cult of Unicron and maybe the leader of that Cult looks like G1 Unicron and stuff like that but I don't want to see Unicron himself being a big-ass planet. After Unicron trilogy and the DW comics I'm so tired of that concept.

8. gregles

gregles quintesson

Unless I haven't noticed it or unless it appeared in autocry/monstrosity as I haven't seen them, I don't think primus's other has been confirmed as unicron. So even if a big nasty creature/character showed up calling himself unicron that wouldn't definitely conform the existence of primus

9. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator

News Credits:
    I fully support your idea. I don't want another planet bot noming on everything.

10. mirage4lifeyo

mirage4lifeyo Well-Known Member

I guess that's probably what differentiates me from a lot of posters - I have read a bit of DW here and there but never followed it closely, and never followed the Unicron trilogy closely either. So for me, a fresh, interesting take on Unicron is fine even if he is more old school in terms of physical appearance. If he even appears at all. Doesn't really matter to me how he's handled. But like I say, if you want it to be a fun and interesting new take and not just a cliched plot device, then you'd better root for Unicron to handled in MTMTE somehow rather than in RID or the Autocracy/Monstrosity run, because with the latter, you pretty much know what to expect. You *know* he'd be just a plot device in RID because, well, pretty much every character there is a plot device. If its MTMTE, all bets are off and my guess is the interpretation/presentation would be fun and inspiring.

11. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    After considering the question, I'd like there to be a Herald of Unicron, someone who worships him, spreading the word of Chaos, gathering followers, but the big guy himself never actually putting in an appearance, except maybe in a shadowy, barely seen except in thoughts way. I want the lid kept firmly on that bottle for a while.

12. gregles

gregles quintesson

I love this idea, I could see this agent of chaos as similar to health ledgers joker in that he doesn't want the usual megatron type goals of conquest or Nova Prime's pax cybertron, instead he would rather watch everything burn and push everyone emotionally beyond their limits to madness. I could see him using rather than brute force techniques similar to the joker like putting the characters in no-win situations where characters are forced to choose between their friends which of course he would mix truth with his lies to make it extra hard. I would love to see him confront really self-righteous, idealistic and insecure characters to see how they break down under pressure.

13. Girl Pants

Girl Pants Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd totally be fine with Unicron as a legendary religious figure with worshipers. Not really interested in seeing him in a "real" way, though.

Seems in the IDW-verse we've already got our "original evil" as an offshoot of Primus, so there doesn't really need to be an adversary to Primus.

14. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Agree with most here; Unicron should be relegated to legends and myths just like Primus. Having cults that follow him fine, but he should have no direct interactions with current events.

15. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Actually with the way things are, I'm pretty happy with all the other stuff Roberts is putting into play, that we don't really need to see Unicron. Somehow, I'm afraid it'll just devolve into the tired and worn out storyline of having a Matrix Bearer use the Matrix to destroy him over and over again. Based on Roberts' writing in Eugenesis, he doesn't seem to like the whole mystical Gods angle of the mythology either. In any case, he does seem to be a fan of the religion angle of it all, and the idea of having heralds or prophets of Unicron sowing Chaos would be a nice storyline to explore.

16. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    If Unicron does show up in person, instead of the Matrix Bearer taking him out. Brainstorm opens his briefcase.

Rodimus: "Unicron is attacking, oh noes."
    Brainstorm: " I suppose I can part with one Doomsday device and still be feared"

• Like Like x 1
  17. Baron Prime

Baron Prime Well-Known Member

The IDW crew has shown great restraint in not bringing Unicron in. I do remember reading something somewhere several years back where they stated that if he was to be brought in, it would have to something new or special.

18. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    That's true, the last few TF series really killed off whatever mystique Unicron had - I mean seriously, it got really ridiculous the way he came back in the Unicron Trilogy. It didn't help that he had a silly portrayal in Prime either. It was much nicer when he was portrayed as the end all be all evil in the first Marvel Comics run, and the series ended with his defeat.

19. Reflector Prime

Reflector Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dark Cybertron is reeeeeeeeeeally pointing towards Unicron. We're finally going to see the dead universe.

Nova Prime and Galvatron
    are back some-fuckin-how

"things will never be the same!" Looking forward to what happens, unicorn or no.

20. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    I like the idea someone posted earlier of a Joker-esque cult leader spreading the word of Unicron, it fits more with the universe that IDW have built up over the last few years.

Another angle on the Chaos Bringer I would like to see is making him a bit like Lucifer from genesis, a master of lies, deceit and manipulation but on a universal scale who may or may not be a supernatural being. Bring back Unicron but make him this innocuous bot who says a certain thing here, a little thing there, maybe puts an object down just so, and then he's gone in the blink of an eye. Sowing the seeds of chaos for a bigger picture that only he can see.