Customs: How should I paint my figures (Low Budget)?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by TfAnimatedfan, Aug 20, 2009.

1. TfAnimatedfan

TfAnimatedfan Five. Dollar. Headband.

News Credits:
    So now, after having completed my first custom(ROTF Wheelie, he didn't turn out so good :lol ), I wanted to take a shot at painting Jolt. I want to get as close to Frenzy_Rumble's AWESOME Jolt as possible. How can I achieve that level of awesome, without having to spend the money on an airbrush ?(I mainly want to know how to achieve that exact blue look)

Note: I painted my Wheelie by hand, it just didn't look the same.

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    me thinks you should venture into the tutorial section ;) 

3. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

As immoral as it is, you can actually hand paint Jolt in that metallic blue and still get that effect, mainly because it's much easier to hide paint strokes when using metallic colours. Your eyes are drawn to the fact it 'sparkles', hence you don't notice brush strokes as much. Still, paint in thin coats, and the usual guidelines still apply.

The shade of blue was custom mixed afaik, so only FR can tell you what to use for that.

Not to say that you'll replicate it perfectly, but just something to be aware of.

Tbh, i haven't kept apace with your Wheelie. Maybe some pics could reveal where improvements could be made...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2009
  4. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    its mostly about layering different shades of the same color. we have a nice tutorial on the technique amongst many other painting tutorials.

5. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I used Jin's tutorial and then dry brush the hell out of my customs.