How should I know?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SilverSoldier, Jun 7, 2007.

1. SilverSoldier

SilverSoldier Member

How can I be sure I got what I paid for? I picked up a G1 soundwave at a yard sale. It seems like the real thing and has no rub sign as well. I also paid a pretty penny for it.

I want to open it and make sure the markings are on it, but it is sealed and I know if I do it, I am going to ruin it if it is real.

Any ideas what I should look for?

I am going to get pics on here as soon as I can. Tomorrow most likely.

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    there's no quality soundwave bootleg, and if it's a sealed G1 box, that kind of removes all doubt.

3. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

A pretty penny at a yard sale, eh? Sounds like a lame yard sale. Things should only be sold for old, ugly pennies. lol

4. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There IS a good quality knock off Soundwave box though.

5. SilverSoldier

SilverSoldier Member

Well to me anything at a yard sale over $20 is a pretty penny.......I guess I should of told you guys that.

As for the thing on the bootleg box, that is what I am concerned about. I am going to a DR.'s appointment and when I get back I will post the pics.

6. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    This might help:

http://www.geocities.com/futuristgroup/vdecep.html#sound

It covers Cassette Man, Soundblaster and the US releases of Soundwave. Hopefully there's enough you can see in the box to accurately identify the differences.

Edit: There is a pre-rub version of Soundwave with a simple Decepticon logo on the cassette door instead of the rubsign.

7. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

lol Okay, that's better. *phew* To me, a "pretty penny" is $60+. Somewhere around $20 for a G1 bot with a box is a steal, KO or ot, IMHO. Can't wait to see pics!

8. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    0.o You Lucky Bastard,I soo want Soundwave.

9. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

:useless 

10. SilverSoldier

SilverSoldier Member

I am taking them now.

11. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

:thumb 

12. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

hurry hurry

13. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I would't be so sure of that...

[​IMG]

14. SilverSoldier

SilverSoldier Member

Ok here is a link for the pics. I hosted them at the game site I admin. Let me know what you folks think. I took them at 5 mega pixels, so save them and zoom in at your desire.

http://maps3.fkmod.com/Soundwave/

15. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

looks like a european box from the front, but a north american box from the back. I've never seen a north american box with the grey cover over the styrofoam, only on euro editions. and the buzzsaw is usually the other side out on euro boxes.

i'm stumped.

hmm.... i

16. Mumble-bee

Mumble-bee inveterate lurker

I can't believe that someone has kept that for almost 25 years without it having dust on it, not getting dinged up at all, and the cellophane window not having yellowed even a little bit.

17. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Looks authentic to me. And that Decepticon logo on front that isn't a rubsign clearly signifies it as a pre-rub. The Buzzsaw does normally come with the other side up though, which is odd but a more understandable manufacturing flaw if unopened

So, there's no signs that the tape was ever removed, replaced or re-applied? And do my eyes deceive or is there no flap bend?

If you haven't already, check against some pictures online for any authenticating markings, etc. eBay seems to be a good source of pictures IMO:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1984-TRANSFORMERS-U-S-BOXED-SOUNDWAVE-BUZZSAW-AFA-80_W0QQitemZ250121931643QQihZ015QQcategoryZ4696QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/MIB-Soundwave-Generation1-Transformer-WOW_W0QQitemZ230133994107QQihZ013QQcategoryZ4696QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Transformers-Original-Generation-1-Soundwave-Frenzy_W0QQitemZ260123091087QQihZ016QQcategoryZ4696QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Get an acrylic case for it or maybe AFA it if it's unopened. That's one gorgeous Soundwave

18. SilverSoldier

SilverSoldier Member

Well, I am going to give it to AFA and see what they have to say. As for the grey cover, I thought all of them had the cover regardless of the region. From the links that macabremouse had posted it seems that they all have it. Like I said I don't really know, what to look for. I collect them and don't know all of the specifics. That is why I asked the PROs :) , but when I saw this, I had to get it.

Oh there is dings on it, probably just can't see it. I am going to pack this up nice and neat and send it to AFA.

Anyone else have any insight before I ship this thing off and waste my $100. Please let me know.
    Thanks again for all the pointers. Now that I am posting things maybe I will show you folks some of my other things.

Thanks again for all the help,
    Silver

19. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

the grey cover instead of clear plastic may have been a running change, but all the ones i've seen previous to this had the styro showing through, and euro boxes had the filled in grey. i can be wrong though, it's been known to happen. all i know for sure, 100% is that my 1984 soundwave did not have a grey fill, only styro and clear celephane plastic

20. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Sticker on the top just shows that it's a chinese release. it's still official, just released really late.