How should I go about this? Xbox account and possible debit card troubles..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jdre_124, Nov 6, 2011.

1. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    Okay so here's the deal, a few weeks ago I signed onto XBL as usual only to find that I didn't sign on automatically into my normal xbl account. I look and see my account ISN'T THERE. I do the xbl recovery thing and it works and I get my account back and notice FIFA 2012 has been played on it...umh I don't own FIFA12. At first I though it was my girlfriend's brother as he is privy to that info, had boughten FIFA12 that day, and he's sort of a cheap ass and I wouldn't put it past him to sign into my account just to play on XBL gold. Turns out it wasn't him. Boom, passwords changed on all my online crap. I get nervous realizing someone got into my account but I stupidly brush it off as I have my account intact (and that's all that matters right?) Wrong....

Fast forward to this week, I've been going through my bank statements and just noticed today that around the same time in late October I got my account broken into the same asshole who presumably got into my account bought a 4000 point microsoft bundle on XBL. Now as for what he did with this I have no clue. The points are not on my account, it's sitting at zero (he also took the 200 or so odd points I had left before he bought the bundle) and when I look at my download history there is nothing out of the blue or purchased with the points.

I really don't know where those points went or if I should be worried if he now has my debit card information. I've been monitoring my bank account and there hasn't been anything out of the blue since that day. I don't know if that whole XBL licensing transfer thing ties into points and to be honest I don't really know how to even read that stupid page. Right now I'm living the starving college student thing so I don't really have much more than $200 at a time in my account but there are occasions that I do have a sizeable amount and I'd hate to see that he's just waiting there for a opportunity but I'd also hate to have to go through the hassle of closing that bank account and opening another.

Any recommendations on what I should do? I intend on finally calling XBL support to report the account being broken into tomorrow but I doubt they can do much on the point bundle/refund front. I don't want the points but I sure as hell would like the $54 back. I also intend on deleting my card from my xbl account. I knew it was stupid to add it when I did a few months ago, I've gone years using prepaid cards and I get a lazy binge and use my debid card instead of going out and buying a new prepaid one and this happens a few months later. Sigh. Identity theft isn't fun kids. Hide yo kids, hide yo wife. Change yo passwords, add a passcode onto your XBL account, delete yo cards if your paranoid like me.

2. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    Oooops if this could be transferred to videogames and tech. Sorry guys!

3. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

For the 4000 points being bought, contact your bank and dispute making that purchase. They should be able to do an investigation and refund the money.

4. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    contact your bank asap ( which should have been a no brainer ) and put a stop to it don't wait for this idiot to hit you again! thats what fraud prevention is for!

5. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Xbox live support should help you out as well. I know I've seen a few people with this problem get things fixed. There have been quite a few people that have had their accounts hijacked with Fifa showing up as a played game.

6. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Absolutely go to your bank and report it. They will cancel your card, issue you a new one and have you fill out paperwork to have the money refunded. This will not require a new bank account just a new card with a new number. If you haven't already change any passwords associated with your live account.

It wasn't through live but my debit card was hit for almost $2000 earlier this year and I had my money back within a couple of days.

7. Computron34

Computron34 Butt + Hurt = TF Fans

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Same EXACT thing happened to me earlier this week. Luckily I did have a CC on file, so they only spent what Microsoft Points I had. I contacted Customer SUpport and they are looking into it. Evidently it's a pretty widespread thing. Search FIFA 12 hack and you'll see. Sucks, but hopegully it get resolved.

8. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

Oh dear :(  I do the same thing I remove all payment options as soon as I buy anything on Xbox Live. I don't mind refilling out all the information if it keeps me from losing money from some asshole hacking into my account. Yeah call Customer support ASAP and get this resolved quick. Hope it works out well for ya dude.

Now I'm starting to get paranoid myself *Goes and checks bank account*

9. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    So I called my bank and canceled the card and there going to refund the money. I've changed passwords on all my stuff and I'm gonna put a passcode on my 360 now and delete the card (which is dead anyway) tomorrow.

What worries me is contacting microsoft on the issue...apparently if I do so they'll lock my account for as long as it takes for them to investigate the issue and I've been reading horror stories of them taking a month.. I'm not saying my problem is exactly solved but I dont know how much more they'll be able to do, the money is being refunded and I got my account back and locked down and not to be petty but I really don't wanna be locked out till freaking December from my account...