How should Hasbro go about rereleasing the First Edition toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by UnicronFTW, Feb 29, 2012.

1. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    I did a search for a thread like this, but with all the mentions of "First Edition" and "FE", it's hard to track down a specific thread like this one.

So, Hasbro said they were looking into options on how to re-release FE molds. What options do you think they have?

They certainly aren't going to make another subline for it, that would be suicide. But, Hasbro is not above redecoing and retooling.

We already have seen a re-release for good ole R2-B2 and Screamer... but it's an Asian market exclusive... (Canada to? I forget.) So, they're still open for debate.

Voyager Optimus Prime:
    I think Voyager Optimus Prime with a Decepticon tampograph and an unmasked face is perfectly feasable. However, there may be an Orion Pax retooling already planned for PRID Prime. Another option of course would be something along the lines of "Fireburst" or maybe "Nova" Prime, where it would be a mostly unchanged FE Prime, but with fire tampographs on the hood and doors.

Voyager Bulkhead:
    This one is a toughie. He's a character who has neither done much in the show, nor is he a yellow-kid-appeal-character, nor does he have any obvious re-decos. Bulkhead is totally up in the air, and this poster can't think of any good redecos of him that wouldn't be a different character entirely.

Cliffjumper:
    Deluxe Cliffjumper could easily be released stateside in his Terrorcon Deco.

Arcee:
    I think, like most of us, Hasbro will be of the mindset PRID Arcee dominates FE Arcee in terms of molding. Plus, as far as I can see, the only reason people like the FE Arcee more is her deco... thus, it would be kind of wasteful to give FE Arcee a redeco/retooling.

Bumblebee:
    Do any of you honestly believe Hasbro won't take the oppurtunity to overuse whatever R2-B2 mold they have available? Target exclusive BB from DOTM used the 07 concept camaro mold. That's both sad, and hopeful. This is one case where Hasbros Bumblebee spam will be welcome and appreciated.

Starscream:
    Our boy Screamer here is a character famous for having dozens of redecos/retools. Skywarp, Thundercracker, Acid Storm, the Coneheads... but the fandom pretty much unanimously agrees that this design and this mold is just to inherently Starscream to warrant being redecoed into a different character.
    For that matter, the character hasn't had any real life (or color) changing events... he's tried his hand at Dark Energon more then once, but the Asian market exclusive E.P(Entertainment Pack) already has the purple-accent thing covered. What to do...

Deluxe Megatron:
    First of all, it's fricking Megatron. Next to Bumblebee and Optimus, one of the most acknowledged characters in all the franchise. But, on that end, he already has the voyager class released in PRID, so, wouldn't releasing him be redundant? This is another figure that's up in the air.

Deluxe Optimus:
    First of all, it's fricking Optimus. Next to Bumblebee and Megatron, one of the most acknowledged characters in all the franchise. But, on that end, he already has the voyager class released in PRID, so, wouldn't releasing him be redundant? This is another figure that's up in the air. (Shameless cut and paste for the win!)

Miko, Jack, and Rafael E.P. molds:
    The Entertainment Pack people are having really bad luck. Silas and Mech Agent are Asian Market exclusives, and the Opti/Mega entertainment pack didn't see a widespread release. I can see another entertainment pack released, (something along the lines of the Screen Battles sets from the first movie) Maybe have FE Bumblebee or FE Arcee packed in with the kids and Silas/Mech agent, throwing off the vibe that he/she's defending them or something. Having all five humans in the pack, plus one of the FE molds (Bumblebee or Arcee, the most popular characters in the show?)... that thing would sell like hotcakes.

Throw your ideas at me, forum! And once again, I did a search, and came up with nothing. But if there's a thread like this then be sure to bring it to my attention and/or report it to the mods so it can merged with that pre-existing thread. :p 

2. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    Realistically?
    Hasbro's current MO is "just different enough" in the redecos, key characters (like almost everyone who got an FE mold) aren't going to see a huge change in deco.

Personally, I'm half expecting a "Stealth Strike" subline to crop up next year, where the gimmick is hidden weapons, which ties PERFECTLY with the First Edition designs.

But I'm not see a need for this kind of thread simply on the basis of: Hasbro has invested in the molds, and right now, Prime is still expected to run for a while yet, which means there is ample time to rerelease First Edition at retail. As of right now, it isn't like Prime is overflowing with characters who need their own mold.

3. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    No, there isn't any kind of rush. It's just innocent spectulation based off of what Hasbro said. It isn't about "WHEN ARE THEY GONNA RELEASE FE WHEN WHEN WHEN", it's "How will they do it when the time comes?"

And I agree with you completely about there not being a need for any outrageous changes in deco.

4. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly, I think Hasbro will use Generations to get them out. It sounds like, starting in the fall, there's going to be a big Generations push that will go into next year. I think they might squeeze them in between the FOC stuff and the, what, 40 other new figures?

5. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

First of all, I wouldn't expect anything until 2013. And as far as the Voyager molds go, I'm not sure if there is really any need to do repaints, since they were unreleased in the US.

6. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Botcon repaints.

7. Reaper Cloud

Reaper Cloud Dark Wrecker

News Credits:
    Call it a conspiracy theory, or the truth...but I honestly feel that the FE line was a mistake made by Hasbro.

It was meant to be a "Collector's Only" type of figure line. The paint/plastic used for the FE (the one's that I own) feel/look better compared to the Prime RID line. With the exception of Wheeljack...who does not have a FE figure.

My guess is that Takara will continue to make better figures, but from what I've read/heard online...even they are taking cost cutting measures. So their new FE (are they even called that anymore?) figures would seem cheaper in comparison to the original FE toys.

If Hasbro wanted to do things right, they would just continue to release the FE line, just adjust the prices accordingly to cover the plastic/paint differences. Say for a few months, just to allow U.S. stores to actually place a few orders.

This won't happen though.

8. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The simplest thing to do would just be to release them in the RID packaging.

9. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    That be the way to do it for sure, I just don't think Hasbro would be smart to do it though.

10. LogicalLuke

LogicalLuke Banned

Agree and there is no need since you pointed out, they were never released here in the U.S. Saving money since there wouldn't be a need for extra apps or retools. Just a flat out re-release of the exact same figures, easy money and probably a good profit on them this run. Hopefully soon though, not next year but a definite yes would be great. I like my Takara Bulk but need the Hasbro version.

No, no friggin Botcon repaint bs. I wouldn't waste my time or money with that mess if that would be the case and others wouldn't either. A retail re-release or even through HTS if they had to. It's not like they wouldn't sell, we all know better with our 50-70$ Primes. ;) 

11. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I doubt we will be seeing anything on these molds coming out as I'm sure the time frame for the Prime toy line just shrank down for movie 4

12. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    The best way to go would be entertainment packs. Cliffjumper and the Vehicon would go well together. They could try Optimus and Bulkhead together or they could each be with a random decepticon deluxe repaint.

Also, why would they HAVE to be redecos to be released? The reason they generally do that is to get around selling the same toy twice, but they didn't get released in the first place in most areas, so nothing to get around there.

13. Argentenoboy

Argentenoboy But what was even more like a drug was the drugs

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I could see them being in Multi-packs for RID. Like Arcee, Cliffjumper, and Starscream in one, Vehicon, Bulkhead and Optimus prime in another, and Deluxe Megatron, Deluxe Prime (as Orion pax) and...RID Soundwave in another.

14. transfan681

transfan681 Retired TF Collector

News Credits:
  15. TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Any way they can.

16. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I do think Botcon/the collector's club if it survives this latest fiasco is our best bet. Sadly, I feel the "we are looking at options" is just Hasbro marketing speak for it's not going to happen. Hasbro doesn't have a motivation for using FE's.

1) Any exclusives or redecos Hasbro does will probably be in the RID molds as they are smaller and cheaper to make then the FE.

2) The "they already have the mold" argument is a fallacy. They already have the FE and RID molds. They're sunk cost. At this point the don't have to use the FE molds, they'll use whichever one will make them more money.

3) The "we'll pay a higher price" for the FE's isn't going to swing either. Fans like to talk a good game but at the end of the day there's not enough of us to support a collector's line because the added costs would be double not a few extra dollars. For various reasons, Hasbro's attempt at collectors haven't gone very well. I would love it if Takara would take a stab at this but they're doing their own cost cutting.

Botcon! Botcon! Botcon! Takara! Takara! Takara! Bakara! Bakara! Bakara!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  17. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm sure they will get released the same way Hydro Dive Bumblebee, Wingblade Optimus Prime, and Blackout all did in Animated, wait a second................

18. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The OP was looking for ideas on how we could get FE molds. Can you move the un-constructive negativity to the threads designed to bitch and moan about the situation. Thanks.

19. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    They should release them under Generations the way they originally planned.

They may already be planning them as part of the "40" coming in 2012.

20. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    The difference is that those TFA toys were done for the tail end of a dying line. Hasbro's just getting started with Prime; ergo, there's still a chance we'll see the return of FE.