how should animated handle the combiner teams?

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by GENOZAUR, Jul 9, 2008.

1. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

how should animated handle the combiner teams throughout season 3 or 4?

i actually think it would be interesting if they borrowed a note or 2 from the cybertron series in the sense that as the autobots went searching throughout the universe for the lost allspark shards they would discover along the way a number of worlds in which each world started out as a cybertronian outpost that had originally existed as a viable wolrd albut one that could not originally support
    actual life though with said world having been terraformed over time into being a world that could support cybertronian life.

a world in which each worlds inhabitants eventually discovered a way to both recreate the presumably long lost combiner technology that was by the end of the great war in the offficial sense shelved classified and otherwise its continued existance in the present day being that the the main cybertronian society would for all intents and purposes believe it to be entirely nonexistant all together

but with the combiner technology having been downsized enhanced and othewise modified off world so that the 5 or six member combiner team as the team would exist on any ofthe colony worlds would be made up of a group of transformers in which each member of the team would be at shortest bumblebees size and at tallest between optimus's and prowl's size

the basic idea being that each member ofthe team would be in a certain manner of speaking a protoformed cybertonian that in spite of their smaller sizewould be asa group of indiviudals more powerful then optimus prime or asa super warrior combiner would be able to go toe to toe with megatron and and actually survive slugging it out with him.

basicly it would be a thorough optimal fusion of of both g1 technology and beast wars protoform technology

thats the line of thought i'm going with here

2. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I still think they shouldn't do combiners at all, way to lose focus on the characters to make a completely boring big dude with lack-luster combiner and bot modes.

HOWEVEEEEEEER, a homage to the original combiners wouldn't be bad, something like NEW DECEPTICON THAT TURNS INTO A GIANT CONSTRUCTION DESTRUCTION VEHICLE called DEVASTATOR.

3. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They don't really need to do the combiners.

4. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Combiners are a disaster at retail. Expensive boxed sets are disaster and short-packed limbs like energon was a disaster.

5. knook

knook Let the Virus Consume You

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    they should be done like: 4 Deluxes + 1 Voyager

6. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    I seriously doubt 4 Deluxes + 1 Voyager would sell any better than 5 small toys.

7. nkelsch

That is 60$

At least energon was 4 scouts and a deluxe which maxxed out around 32$ish which means they could worse comes to worse pile it into a 30$ boxed set or even a leader pricepoint.

I question the ability of them to bae a quality combiner with the animated atheistic. Energon combiners were a perfect example of how they failed to make a robot-looking combiner.

8. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    Oh yeah talking about toys, and nkelsch, when you gonna start Animated icons?

9. UltraDevmodious

UltraDevmodious Well-Known Member

if they had a combiner....i know i'd buy all 4 deluxes and that voyager...

10. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    Collectors probably would, but we all know Hasbro isn't caring about collector with Animated, they made Universe for collectors.

BTW, didn't Hasbro say that collectors are like... 15% or less of the sales?

11. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes. Numerous times in fact... not that anyone listens... and than you've got the guys whom swear that Hasbro is lying and just don't' want to make something for collectors... so... yeah... no one listens.

Frankly, I'd personally prefer they stay away from doing combiner teams. You loose focus on the individual characters and the combined forms are generally simplistic and single minded to a fault. This would get really boring really quickly.

Best to do what they are doing now... introduce a couple characters from a team (ala Mixmaster, Scrapper & Swindle) and actually focus on that character's personality. I know I'd love to see an Animated Silverbolt (an aerial warrior who's actually afraid of heights, but tries to focus on his responsabilities to keep his mind off it). There's so much personality to work with there that I think hardly ever got a chance to shine in the original series, because (after their introduction episode) almost every time they showed up again it was to quickly combine into Superion to beat the snot out of another Decepticon combiner (usually Bruticus). So, really, I'd rather loose the combiners so that we can get character's with personality and back stories that actually get explored instead of mentioned once and than forgotten about.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  12. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Blasted webiste... makes it look like your post didn't go through... and than when you go back and repost... you find your frickin' post up above it!

13. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    Now, seriously, if it wasn't for the whole combining thing, characters like Onslaught or Hook would've been way cooler in the G1 cartoon, not just DEVASTATOR/BRUTICUS FODDER.

14. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

I just dont believe it would lose focus espcially when you consider a combiner could use the hive mind concept where they may all be linked into the same thought when seperate but combine to one voice when combined.

This way it could be handled like a single character across 5

15. nkelsch

August? Don't hold me to that! I wanted to sprite up full compass direction sprites for the main cast before I released them...

16. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    In other words it would be the same thing as G1.

No one would care about the characters, only their combined form.

The only way I see that working would be if it was only one/two molds and if you want to combine you'd have to buy the same guy 5 times or 4+ the leader, that way they wouldn't waste molds with such boring characters AAAAND they could do it Dinobot styles only focusing on the leader and making the other bots drones.

Actualy, that would rock, completely new way of making combiners for TF and no character mold-waste-age.

17. jtuarus

jtuarus Prowls circutsu master TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    after seeing what the writers can do with this show o think that they could handle combiners fine i wouldnt go with the 5 or 6 bot teams but thats me id go with the 3-4 bot teams that way you could have a even medium between the bots personalities and backstorys along with bieng a combiner. you could also make it so it takes a huge toll on the individual bots too putting to much stress on them and energy guzzling problems. i mean look at some of the japanese tf shows like victory they hardly ever combine together but when they did it was cause you really needed that power house. if it was handled well enough and i do think animateds writers could handle it then it would be awsome.

18. nkelsch

*IF* we got combiners, I personally think that the beast war designs were some of the best modern combiners we have seen.

MAGNABOSS could easily work in all 3 modes and have clear animated designs.

I agree that it would be better to have the combined form be the personality and the 3 parts be fragments of the whole. I think they could pull off a 3-bot combiner that wasn't something like 'pants/shirt/head' or 'torso/arm/arm/leg/leg'

Frankly, I would have rather have seen a universal combination system like energon used and added to Onslaught and Silverbolt in classics and then down the line eventually released limbs as unrelated 'just happen to combine' designs. Not that the current figs are not awesome but Silverbolt and onslaught are going to be easily kitbashed into combiners, how hard would it have been to screw on some minor connectors and engineered a simple 'torso' mode?

19. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    Wasn't there some dude that was three parts that combined into his vehicle mode AND then transformed into his bigass bot mode? That could work too.

Like 3 jets that combine into some kind of GOD-JET and then into Superion/Jetommy/Whateverthename.

20. sixshot2K

sixshot2K Soundwave is #1!

Not screw it up like the frigging construckticons in animated!