HOW should a Final Fantasy 7 Remake be made?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by strscrm, Dec 26, 2008.

1. strscrm

strscrm GAME BOY ETERNITY

Whenever we talk about Final Fantasy VII and the inevitable remake (crossing fingers), we always talk about what system it should be on or what level of graphics it should have, but we don't talk about just HOW it should be made?

[​IMG]
    FF7 Tech Demo for PS3: Big tease or a taste of what's to come?

How should the battle system be done? Should the story stay 100% true to the original or should it be reworked to include elements from Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, and Advent Children? Should aspects of the original Final Fantasy 7 be dropped altogether? Should this merely be a prettier HD version of FF7 or should this be the best version of FF7 possible?

How should Final Fantasy VII be made?

2. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

It shouldn't. It was a great game 10 years ago. But its time to move on.

3. strscrm

How should Chocobo's be presented?

[​IMG]
    Chocobo in PS1 Final Fantasy VII

[​IMG]
    Chocobo in PS2 Final Fantasy XII

Should Chocobo's remain cutesy or be far more realistic (like some prehistoric dinosaur-bird thing)?

4. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    I wouldn't cry if FF7 wasn't remade but if it is the battle system should go real time and be as close to Advent Children as possible. That's what I would want and Tetsuya Nomura never seems to shut up about trying to make his games close to that standard anyway.

5. panzerjedi

panzerjedi Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    QFT.

6. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

It shouldn't.

Plus this really didn't need a new thread.

Of course Strscrm won't actually read any replies. *sigh*

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    IF it were remade, I personally say keep it close to the original, like the DS Final Fantasy remakes. Just add some new content, like adding in the stuff left out toward the end of the game (allegedly). Go back to the original developer notes and finish it off as though time was no object, clarifying some of the points left ambiguous, tying up / developing character plots.

And you know what? Throw in a super-tough optional dungeon where the end result is a resurrected Aerith just so people can finally stop complaining about her death. But do it Valkyrie Profile 2 style where getting her there has 0% impact in the story.

8. ginrai

ginrai lost with no way home.

I rather like the idea of simply updating the Models to the Battle Models instead of the stumpy little N64 people..

Music is fine.. backgrounds are fine.. Battle System and Materia is fine.. Go ahead and update the text bubbles as there are a few errors.. I don't really want anything incorporated from the other games as to be honest.. I'm not going to buy those other games and don't want it to be needed.. that I do. The Original should be the canonical bit anyway.. the spin offs are the changeable ones.

I like the idea of an Extra super hard dungeon at the end.. I think releasing it on the DS would be best. but that could be because I have a DS and wouldn't pay 500$ for a PS3 just to play a remake of a game I already have 3 copies of. The only way I would get it on a PS3 is if it was part of a collection like they started doing on the PS1 with FF1,2,4-6.. Except this time just do a PS3 disc with 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12... So that it would actually be possible to own the first 13 Final Fantasy games on one console. I suggest a private server be included for 11.. so you can play it without having to pay for an ancient MMO that no one plays any more.. but thats just me. but personally I think they missed the boat for a remake.. it should have been scheduled to come out at the same time as Advent Children.

9. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

they should make a DS version....that's what i want.

10. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

It shouldn't. The original game was great as is and it should stay that way. It can even still be played on most current consoles. What they should do is release it for download via PSN for the PS3 and PSP. Because SE sure does love it some PSP

First off, FFXI is one of the top ranked MMOs currently out with the last projected numbers putting it at 500k players. And this was before many of the recent updates that brought in a lot of newer people(hell, one server is actually overcrowded and they may start forcibly moving people off of it). Secondly, the way the game was created and designed, it'd be almost impossible to create a private server. People are trying though, but it drains a lot of resources, moreso then other MMO private servers, due to how the game was originally engineered.

But regardless, if they made a single collection of all FF games, with some parts updated and such, I'd probably buy it. FFV, VI, VII and IX alone would be worth it imo.

11. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    thought it would look cool, it shouldnt as it was a classic and I would like to remember it how it was.

12. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

A port to PSP with some slight improvements, or PSN. Honestly I think it would just be a waist of money/resources. The game can still be played on all of Sony's hardware including remote play on a PSP.

13. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

It shouldn't.

In all honesty the game wasn't even good when it did came out. It's simply Nostalgia and the fact it was many peoples first RPG.

The problem is the game is incomplete, and I'm not talking about stuff cut like in usual games.. It was bloody incomplete. Several items that couldn't be completed or had no purpose -what- so ever.

Then the characters where horrible. Cloud is a schizo who can't decide if he wants to save the word or go emo.
    Tifa can't decide if she wants to be the damsel in distress or if she wants to be Xena.
    Aris, Arith whatever... Um.. she had -no- personality.
    Barret is Mister T
    You never go into many of the others characters personalities *such as they are*

If someone played many RPGs previous to FF7 or After it, and then go and play FF7 they would probably say the same thing.

14. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

Agreed. Well, good game, not great, but still.

However, on the hypothetical, let's go with this:

No Cloud, No Sephiroth, No Aeris, No Stereotypes, No Fuzzy Animal Idiots.

That leaves Tifa. So, Tifa vs Shinra, the Turks, and later, the WEAPONS.

That's a game I can get behind. Awww yeah.

15. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Completely in sprites but with an orchestral soundtrack. Like HD sprites. That'd be sweet.

16. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

If they heavily upgraded the look...how would the world map perspective work?

17. strscrm

Well, I only only read the pleasant replies. ;) 

But seriously, I would love to see a return to the gameplay style of Final Fantasy VI, originally experienced as Final Fantasy III here stateside. Every character actually played a bit differently. Setzer had a slot machine that randomly chose an attack, Sabin had Street Fighter-like button inputs for wrestling moves, and Mog danced. It was unique and rewarding.

18. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When they released the demo for the PS3, I was as excited as any fanboy about the prospect of a remake. Now though...

It's a good game, but they should put more effort into making the next FF game the best as opposed to going over the FF7 universe again; we've had a movie, and we've had a game sequel with Vincent bloody Valentine as the star... Why go back and potentially mess it up?

I miss it when each FF game was it's own continuity. God damn FFX-2...

19. Kando

Kando Well-Known Member

FF8 remake plz

*runs away*

20. grimlockams prime

grimlockams prime Check you feet

Why run?
    It would be nice to see VIII get remade.