Customs: how screwed am I?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Megatron31, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    well i got in a hurry and eoverly excited casting my first part and forgot to put anykind of mold release on it before i poured the mold material on it?

my work time has more htan expired but cure time is 3-4 hours

what did i do to my prototype part?

will i be able to get it out wihtout destroying it?

its an alumilite kit by the way

2. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    if only one part you might be ok if using silicone, silicone will only stick to silicone from what I gathered. Can't speak from experience though since i have yet to attempt mouding myself.

Hope it turns out ok.

3. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

You should be able to get the part out okay, but your'e going to have to cut out the part. And i'd just go with the assumption that your going to have to redo the mold.
    using a good x-acto, make a small incision along one surface. then spread the cut line apart and slowly nick away at the silicone with the knife. it'll cut and spread apart as long as you are spreading the two halves apart.

And you shouldn't have to mold release the part itself, like storm said, silicone only sticks to itself. is that what you are worried about? did you just make a one piece mold to begin with?

Randy!

4. Megatron31

Ebay:
    its a two part mold so there is clay on the very bottom then the part pressed into the clay and the silocone was poured on top of that.

so once it sets i still need to make the other part of the mold.

if the silicone will only stick to itself i should be good i will just have to remember to do it right when i make my second half
    thanks randy i was worried that my part was gonna be encased in a brick of silicone and clay that i couldnt seperate

5. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You should be fine mate :)  just spray the mould release before you pour the next lot over.

6. Megatron31

Ebay:
    awesome thanks guys

7. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It'll be ok but I suggest vasoline as a seperater for the mold halves. I have had no luck with mold release but vasoline and a q-tip work like a charm.

8. Bigbot3030

yeah, your okay. And try to spray the whole silicone block (before you put it back in your mold box) instead of just the surface your pouring onto. What can happen is it will creep into that very tiny airgap between your block and box, and give the illusion that it's a solid chunk. but if that ever does happen, you can cut through the thin film on the sides locking everything together. This literally just happened to me. it's not a big deal, it's just something to be aware of in case it does happen.

Anouther note, did you use the "Klean Clay"? you need to use a non-sulfur clay for mold work like this. Some sulfur based clay can inhibit the silicone from curing, and leave things goopy. also, don't get in a rush to demold it. let the silicone cure completly to the instructions.
    A good portion of molding is knowing your set-up, and then alot of patience. :thumb 
    good luck!

Randy!

9. Bigbot3030

I've heard that you really have to use the mold release that the manufacturer suggests. Vasoline will work, but you have to spread it really thin right? I've never had a problem with the spray, so I've never used vasoline.

Randy!

10. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:

The spray is essentially a liquid form of petroleum jelly. I have had no issues with vasoline being used as a way to make a two piece mold. I use regular mold release to condition the mold when making casts though.

11. Megatron31

Ebay:
    thanks for all of the tips guys i will definantly try them ( i had the tub of vasoline on the table as i was making this and just forgot to do it

randy the kit ame with a clay to use as a barrier to keep it from leaking so im assuming it was safe to use for what i did with it.

should be setup here shortly and i will get to see what i have

12. Bigbot3030

yeah, i just didn't know if the "thick and goopy" vasoline was harder to make a nice coat on it. wiht spray it's easier.

Megatron31, thats cool that it came with the clay. yeah, it'll be fine.

Randy!

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Definitely keep us posted on how this mishap turns out!

Bring me a pizza, too!

14. Megatron31

Ebay:
    first half made and i should be pouring my second part today sometime
    i have to do a little trimming some of the mold encased parts of waht i am trying to cast

with any luck i will be casting a certain weapon i made for a certain character. and if it goes well im gonna start making a few other guns for some figs and if people want them they will be availible and i wont spend so much of my freetime scratchbuilding the same thing over and over

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Awesome update, bud :) 

16. Megatron31

Ebay:
    [​IMG]

booyah im pretty happy for my first ever cast but i am still working out how to get the bubbles out and all that jazz but for the first thing i ever did i am extremelyhappy

Attached Files:

17. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I think they turned out pretty well for a first-time casting. I've been itching to do some myself, just haven't picked up any materials for it or anything (and not sure when I actually will).

18. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

That's a heck of a first attempt! :thumb 
    I need to get some casting practice in myself, but I could probably do with getting hold of some more resin or something.

I've just had a thought on the gun design, though - with that slanted handle, how well do figs hold it?

19. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    Try this for keeping the air bubbles out, it's a trick that myself and numerous other prop builders use.

Put baby powder in your mold and then blow it out, it will leave a light enough layer in it, you should get better casts then. You will have to do that each time as well.

It won't eliminate all air bubbles, but it will do away with some, if it's just surface bubbles, then you are mixing your resin too fast.

20. Megatron31

Ebay:
    It's all trapped air from the way the mold has set up the one. In the middle was the first and had trapped air issues the second one would have been perfect if it wasn't for the fact I didn't use enough resin so it didn't push the air into the reliefs I made.

The pour ins are on the clip, handle, mid barrel and tip as those seem to be the bad spots

But thanks for the tips I will have to try the powder

Ram rider he holds it quite well since he has the open hand design. But for a closed fist I don't thin it would hold