How "rare" is Masterpiece Rodimus?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by UNI Prof, Aug 16, 2011.

1. UNI Prof

UNI Prof Well-Known Member

I just came from Toys R Us and they had around 10 of them on the shelf. I didn't buy one because, honestly, it didn't look that cool to me. Now, if anyone wanted to swap for a MP Grimlock...

2. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wouldn't say it's rare. There were a lot of impatient people running around a few weeks ago when the figure first started popping up in TRU though. Now that some time has passed, pretty much all TRU's have gotten their shipments of the figure and, scalping aside, it's relatively easy to find.

3. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He's going to be fairly easy to get if you call them every now and agian through christmas, after that he'll be as rare as Grimlock is now, in a year or so.

4. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Yeah, even on ebay it's down to retail pricing. I figured this was going to happen. I remember passing up MP Grimlock 3 or 4 times after his big splash down.

5. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hope this is the case, as he's still hard to get here in NC.

I'm going to lay low for a couple weeks though and see how things shake out. Considering what the trucks seem to be getting in, I think he should be in good supply in about a month.

6. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's not rare at all. The first wave was simply bought up by collectors and resellers. It will be back in droves, don't fret.

7. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I would love to know what the sales are like on this guy. If he doesn't shelf warm, it is a good thing. It will mean we won't see any shortness of MP stuff in the US. Maybe they will take a chance on Thundercracker. (Even though that will shelf warm)

8. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    It's not rare at all. In fact, it can be yours for the low low price of.....

YOUR SOUL.
    :lolol 

I'm actually waiting, since I'm in the same boat as Ex_dtw. I ran over to TRU once last week, and I'm not doing it again.

9. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Haha, and we're both in NC, lol.

I think we're getting fewer than other palces it seems but hopefully our time will come.

10. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Rarity itself isn't the issue, it's unpredictable distribution. Any one collector might have tons, or none, and many of us don't have time to look.

Nice to hear EBay is coming down though.

11. ahro23

ahro23 Omnibot

It was probably just harder to see him around last week because that Toys R Us 20% off coupon was expiring :lol 

12. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    he's gonna be rare as hell for me to get seeing as TRU is so damn far away

still want to thank all you folks for waiting for clearance for mp skywarp, its thanks to you i don't have mp grimlock right now and now probably won't get hasbro masterpiece rodimus

13. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ I don't think that has anything to do with anything. Different retailer and vastly different situation regarding popularity.

Grimlock proved an excellent model for Rodimus by all accounts: in demand new molds. Hasbro and TRU certainly had predictive information regarding the Rodimus rollout. I don't think Grimlock was clearanced in any meaningful quantity. Smart move would have been to order more Rods than Grims, all else being equal. Whether this was done we simply don't know.

14. guard convoy

News Credits:
    up until grimlock wal-mart took all the masterpiece exclusives, think, if skywarp would of done well, well, maybe wal-mart would of gotten grimlock and i could of gotten him. but nope, american fans are too cheap to buy it for full price

15. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I have no seen Grimlock clearanced at all.

As for Skywarp, its been covered:
    - Skywarp is lesser known character
    - WalMart order way to many of it and also has a habit of discounting as well

16. guard convoy

News Credits:
    reason wal-mart ordered more was cause starscream was a hit, but was underordered thanks to poor sales of dvd prime

17. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ah, I see what you mean.

I'm sorry for not buying Skywarp for full price, but I ultimately did not buy him at all (and saw him only the one time at retail). It would take brain surgery to get me to care about Skywarp. Don't blame the fans, blame whoever marketing guys decided that he would move like Starscream.

18. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Um...no? There's not a BIN auction lower than 79.99 USD on the guy. Most are at 90-100 USD BIN.

It's not made of gold people...

19. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Yeah, but all of what you say goes to blaming Wal-Mart purchasers and not the fans.

I don't really think that many fans waited for clearance. I think that is a bit of a cop out.

I was talking to a fellow board member today about how ugly the new Alpha Trion is. He was like, if he is less then $30, will you not use him as a filler in your collection? I said I probably would.

If he was like $70, HELL NO! Not spending that money on that guy.

Same thing with Skywarp. If I wasn't a collector and I had a minimum knowledge of Transformers, I would not buy him at $70. If I saw him at $25, I would say, hey he looks pretty cool and big.

Most regular people who saw TFs as a kid remember Megatron, Starscream, Optimus, Grimlock and maybe Soundwave. Beyond that, they don't recall. So ordering 10x the amount of something that is not remembered does not make sense. Also, seeing this board alone, it does not seem like many people wait on a figure.

20. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pretty rare. They only made one MP Hot Rod for every MP SKywarp they made so about 20,000 of them? =P