How powerful?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by PolythenePrime, Oct 7, 2012.

1. PolythenePrime

PolythenePrime Well-Known Member

How powerful is Starscream compared to Megatron? Different continuities are welcome.

2. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Not very. From a G1 perspective at least.

I like to think Starscream is a top-notch Decepticon warrior, and a real threat to just about anyone... he's fast, sneaky, clever, with decent weapons and no real physical weaknesses.

However, I think Optimus and Megatron are kind of on a different level. They are sort of superheroes of the Transformers world. Starscream wouldn't stand a chance against Megatron one-on-one. Shockwave might though...

zmog

3. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Shockwave did, I thought.

4. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    screamer is superior in all versions. nough said

5. PolythenePrime

Screamer always seemed like the next best thing, underneath the level of Optimus and megaton. Screamer, Shockwave, Ironhide, etc.. Are bots that are probably right under Megatron and Prime in terms of power/skill.

6. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I don't think they're quite powerful enough to bring down a leader-type, one-on-one. Starscream only finally got rid of Megatron (briefly) because Prime had beaten him down. All of Starscream's other attempts failed miserably.

7. PolythenePrime

No not one on one. I mean that they are TFs that are like second tier to the leaders. The next best thing.

8. SMOG

He defeated Megatron in the comics once, but that was because Megatron was still injured, and Shockwave exploited his weakness to gain the upper hand. During the fight, Shockwave acknowledged that at full power, he wouldn't be a match for Megatron.

However, in Marvel both of them were capable of taking on all 5 Dinobots at once (and probably winning), so I'd say that Megs and Shockwave are definitely at the top of the heap in terms of power.

I know what you mean, but I wouldn't quite put those guys all on the same level. Shockwave, absolutely. He's ALMOST at Megatron's level. Also, Grimlock, and maybe Ultra Magnus. Motormaster too, though only in terms of physical power... not skill or intellect.

Starscream doesn't have a lot of raw power, but his combination of speed, skill, intelligence and daring makes him very dangerous.(remember, he may back down to stay alive, but it takes guts to stand up to Megatron!) I would put guys like Prowl and Jazz at around that 3rd tier level too... not so much powerful as just very damn good at their jobs. Blaster also might fall into that category... especially Marvel's version.

Ironhide isn't actually that powerful. His main advantage is his heavy armour, that makes him extremely hard to hurt. But physically, he's not any stronger than Prowl or Huffer or Wheeljack. Experience counts for something, but remember that in his G1 bio, it's stated that some of the Autobots don't even think he's still useful. In other words, he's past his prime.

zmog

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    In sheer offensive power, I can't think of a version of Starscream that has been able to go toe to toe with it's associated Megatron, with the exception of Matrix-juiced G2 comic Starscream. But in some continuities, Starscream is effectively unkillable, which could make a battle to the "death" difficult for Megatron to win.

10. PolythenePrime

I always considered Ironhide primes' second in command, maybe that's why I thought he was stronger than he really is. As a combination of all his skills, screamer is very deadly and I would certainly put him high in a list of powerful TFs. I agree with Prowl and Jazz. I personally feel Jazz to be one of the most skilled combatants there are in the autobot ranks.

11. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    Cybertron Starscream came extremely close to killing Galvatron, and in the end Starscream still survived the battle

12. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    In Animated, not all all.

Starscream on his best day isn't even in the same zip code as Megatron on his worst.

13. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

You forget that at his worst, Megatron was a talking head who had to trick Sumdac into thinking he was an Autobot to survive.

14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I would've been interested in seeing a fight between Megatron and Starscream in his Pretender shell. He seemed pretty unstoppable in the comics when he was a blank slate, and then his personality kicked in and he wimped out and surrendered.

But in the end I think Starscream wins most of his battles with skill and air superiority rather than physical strength.

15. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    G1 Megatron > Starscream
    G2 Megatron > Starscream
    CHUG Megatron > Starscream (if there is any fiction really ... )
    Armada Megatron ~ Starscream (various moments suggest power struggle)
    Energon Megatron > Starscream
    Cybertron Megatron ~ Starscream (various moments suggest power struggle)
    Prime Megatron >> Starscream
    Animated Megatron > Starscream
    Movie Megatron ~ Starscream (megs didnt seem so overwhelming here)

16. SMOG

Yeah, by the old Rank scores, the chain of command would technically be something like this:
    Prime - 10
    Prowl - 9
    Jazz/Wheeljack - 8
    Ironhide/Trailbreaker/Bumblebee/Ratchet/Mirage - 7

Some of those may seem weird, but it makes sense. Your chief medical officer and chief engineer would all hold a certain rank (think, Scotty was #3 on Star Trek). Trailbreaker is a strategist, so he's an officer of some sort. Bumblebee and Mirage are both intelligence guys, so they're officers too.

Ironhide is chief of security (at least till Red Alert comes around, also Rank 7), but also he's Prime's personal bodyguard. I think Ironhide's status probably doesn't come from his actual rank, but more due to his being Optimus Prime's old buddy, and generally having more experience than everyone else. It's an informal deference. And in terms of Strength, he's a bit strong, but mostly he's just indestructible, which is pretty handy too. :) 

As for guys like Prowl and Jazz... I agree, though they don't usually get the credit for it. If you read their G1 bios, you realize these dudes are supposed to be skill-gods, more than a match for just about anyone who isn't an unstoppable leader type. Starscream should fit in there too.

zmog

17. PolythenePrime

Good reasoning and I always found it strange for Prowl to be ranked as second in command. I'm not sure why I just never felt his character fit that position I guess. Ironhide's status as a friend and bodyguard does influence my views on his rank I must admit, but he is shown several time throughout different continuities giving orders. Personally I always felt that if it Ironhide wasn't the next guy in the chain, it would have to be Jazz or Prowl. I lean more towards Jazz as being the one to take the reigns if something happened to his superiors, but I digress.

18. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    with an organization as big as the autobots it would stand to reason that 1 rank would hold several officers. and keeps things from going 1 way. sorta like a think tank.

but back to topic.

Starscream is usually megatrons right hand man. thats a given. but i think this usually comes from the fact most decepticons arent very bright so who knows how starscream "worked" for it.

19. PolythenePrime

Well, with the exception of Soundwave and Shockwave, Starscream is undoubtedly one of the more intelligent Decepticons. He may be arrogant as hell and makes stupid choices, but he is still a very intelligent and clever member of Megatron's inner circle. He usually knows how to work into Megatron's favor, by completing an assigned task or coming up with a good plan. There are reasons why Starscream is where he is, and it's not only because he is smart but it's also because Megatron knows Starscream can be bad news if not kept on a leash.

20. Dinobot Scythe

Dinobot Scythe Well-Known Member

Decepticons that could rival Megatron:
    Shockwave
    Scorponok
    Straxus
    Bludgeon
    Jhiaxus
    Nemesis Prime
    Skyquake
    Sunstorm
    Thunderwing