how powerful are the dinobots?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SideSwipe82, Apr 19, 2007.

1. SideSwipe82

SideSwipe82 Well-Known Member

hey transfans, just wanted to know if the dinobots were all that powerful.. or perhaps weak. In g1 season 1, those guys are unstoppable in dino mode(even a transfomers said that(?), almost nothing can penatrate their skin(robot modes, that's a different story), but as the series continues, they've become very weak, even in dino mode. Why is that?

2. gnodprime1

gnodprime1 Made of sterner stuff

Ebay:
    They stopped mass-shifting. Notice how they appear much larger in Season 1, and gradually shrink as the series continued.

3. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    They were reduced to Comedy relief in season 3. If you're referring to why they got their asses kicked so easily in the movie...well they never did beat Devastator in season 1 or 2 so thats continuity that actually makes sense.

4. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Different continuities portrayed them differently. In season 1, Grimlock could take on Megatron by himself. In the comics, all of the Dinobots combined couldnt take Shockwave, and Megatron could take Predaking himself.

5. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

SS82:

A quick look at "The Ultimate Doom" reveals that they are "more powerful than the pounding surf", just like the 1940s cartoon Superman after the narrator upgraded him from locomotive-level.

Well, at least they can build breakwaters that are that powerful.

6. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    See, it depends on the needs of the story. If the story needs weak comedy relief, you get Season 3 Dinos. Tough badasses? Season 1-2 dinos. They're pretty flexible that way.

7. Grimlock_13

News Credits:
    In other words they're better actors than Nicolas Cage.

8. Keiichitron

Keiichitron Not a physicist, dammit

Ebay:
    better than Keanu Reeves even....

9. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    They were more or less indestructible in Dinosaur modes, In robot mode they could be taken down just like any other bot.

See 'Desertation of the Dinobots' where Megatrons strategy actually works, and the Dinobots get their collected asses kicked!

Basically, 1-on-1 The Dinobots would win, most of the time.
    But weight of numbers can be enough to defeat them, as was shown when they were captured by Shockwaves guard unit on Cybertron.

Also, 1-on-1 some can beat them using their own tactic of brute force against them. See Predacons.

Also, due to budget cutbacks following the movie, all Dinobots were fired excluding Grimlock

10. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    The G1 Dinos would be an emense force to recon with if they hade a bit higher IQ. The autobots should have sent them to training camp or something to sync them togheter , even the dumbest of creatures can this way be learned to. A Syncronised battle team of all 5 Dinos would be unstoppable. But lucke├Âly for the Decepticons they arent ..thats why for example Devastator can take them down ..they attack one at a time.

11. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

I always figured the Dinobots where that special forces team the Autobots used when they needed heavy hitters.

12. SideSwipe82

SideSwipe82 Well-Known Member

weren't all dinobots trained in 1 or 2 episodes?

does grimlock really obey prime's orders?

13. Grimlock_13

News Credits:
    1. They were sent to Dinobot Island for training, but really all those two episodes were good for was introducing most of the new Season 2 characters

2. When he feels like it.

14. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The Dinobots were as powerful as the writers needed them to be, to make for an interesting/fun cartoon. It's as simple as that. You can't really analyse it too much because it's just a cartoon, and I'm pretty sure nobody at the start thought "How powerful shall we make the Dinobots, bearing in mind we have to stick to this during the entire duration of the cartoon's run?"

15. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

You know, I could be imagining this, or misremembering some sort of fanon, but isn't there some evidence that the Dinobots actually beat Devastator in the movie? Maybe I'm just thinking that way because they were seen running away later. Dunno.

16. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Unfortunately, the Dinobots never flip out, scream a lot, and go to Vegas.

17. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think the dinos just got tired of cleaning up everyone else's crap, and decided to just hang back and be class clowns.

18. PrimeTime

PrimeTime Well-Known Member

Yeah, the last we ever see of Devastator in that battle is when Slag knocks him on his ass against the wall. Then Swoop comes in for the kill, but gets knocked down by falling debris. You know why the Dinos got defeated so easily in that scene? So that when the Autobots' greatest hero, Optimus Prime, made his move, it was all that more impressive! "He single-handedly turned back the tide" as Kup says...

19. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

The Dinobots... ah...

A last resort used by Optimus Prime in seasons 1 and 2, because he wasn't dumb enough to let them chill and destroy stuff. Optimus Prime recognized their abilities and saw them as an advantage in combat.

Whereas Rodimus Prime knew Grimlock saved his ass once and decided to make up for it with letting them hang out in the base. They knew Rodimus was a dumbass, so they were just like, "Yeah... screw him" and got into all sorts of ridiculous situations.

20. Mr_K

Mr_K Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I guess going back and looking at the episodes now you can see these guys did have some weaknesses, but i remember that as a child the Dinobots were my favourite because not only were they Dinosaurs but when they came on screen you knew the bad dudes were gona get kicked good. I always looked at them as indestructible, sure they didn't win every fight but they never got wrecked or needed repair as far as i know.