How picky/selective are you?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by AnAutobot1985, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Cynnik

Cynnik Member

I used to be the "buy everything and everything" kinda guy but the last year or so I've had to re-evaluate my priorities and have gotten rid of 80% of my collection. I realized that I would spend a ton of money on figures I had no interest in (movie figures) just to be complete but now only just keeping MP's and the figures I absolutely really want. Running out of space/missed bill payments to buy figures/getting dumped was pretty much the breaking point lol.

2. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Look at this man. He's got the right idea.

Yeah, I mostly buy what I think is really cool, and occasionally make silly impulse buys. Don't have many regrets though, I guess I can lower my standards sometimes.

3. Xzbit

Xzbit Well-Known Member

With all the new Mp and 3rd party toys coming out i have recently started being very selective.Ive gotton really pick with prime line and just decided to skip it and now with the gdo deluxes hitting here im skiping them as well except for maybe wheelie.

4. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This. And characters I really like.

5. TheMrmaster21

TheMrmaster21 I will swallow your soul.

I used to buy a transformers character just for the sake of having the character, not caring what it looked like or anything. But I then decided that I should only buy figures that are good quality, nice transformation, nice mold, and mostly good overall. It's a bit hard to find that sometimes, but it saves money and gives you a figure that is very desirable. It also saves money for other figures that may be desirable to you.

6. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    Yeah I'm pretty picky over how I spend my money. Since completing my TF collection, I'm not one of those guys who buys something just for the hell of it. I recently won an auction for an MC-08 Battle Bike to go with my MC-09 Jet Heli - & he went MIB for only $174! Bargain! That should give you a bit of an idea of how I spend my money these days.

7. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Terrorcon King

I'm much pickier than I used to be. Now, I only buy either characters that I really like, or designs that really intrigue me. Even then, I'm not a completionist; I did not buy Airachnid, despite liking her character, because the toy is ass. I will buy the Kreon, though. And any Cyberverse one they may release.

Money rarely comes into play, due to my pickiness.

8. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    That's basically my method.

My Tfs all have to fit in the basic G1 theme also. They don't have to be G1 or classics but they can be displayed with them. The cost increase has made me even more selective. Plus I think there has been a decrease in quality to go along with the price hike.

9. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I just buy what I think is cool too, and I rarely get things for reasons involving completing a set or whatever. Granted, I've kinda gone a little crazy with the Prime line & have most of the characters (multiples actually when it comes to Vehicon, Arcee & Cliffjumper), but that's because the FE ones are different, and yeah. My collection is pretty lean when compared to what it could be, and I rarely pay full price for shit unless I need to.

Like for me, I can say in confidence that I wouldn't wanna sell anything I have for its market value or what I paid, so in my mind that makes em good purchases.

10. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

I need to be more selective, as I am running out of room to display any of my collection properly. I buy one of nearly everything, two if its really cool, and three if its a seeker.

Help me?

11. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The current price hikes on deluxes have caused me to be overly selective now. For whatever reason hasbro and these stores has deemed there to be less then a $5 margin between deluxe and voyager now, which is pretty laughable to me. So I'm very selective about what I pick up now.

I kinda stopped buying prime deluxes, unless I can get new figures at meijer (local chain that still carries/prices them at 12.99). GDO I didn't mind paying $15 a pop for though, I think they're a bit more solid and well done figures. They were worth that to me.

But yeah, with very limited shelf space (feels like my figures are fighting for it these days), and rising prices, I've been very selective about my purchases. I'd still impulse buy if the deluxes were $13 or under, but above that it has to be a damn good figure or it can shelfwarm for all I care.

12. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

I want anything G1 related (old or new) I can get for a good price. Anything non-G1 related, I just buy my favorite 10-15 or so figures from each line.

13. maku098

maku098 indeed a wise choice

News Credits:
    This.

14. Drako fang

Drako fang Vehicon

I just got bot shots skywarp

15. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    It all depends on how bad I want an item. With the exception of limited exclusives, Deluxes < $12, Voyagers < $20, otherwise I wait till there's a sale. Also I stop at Ross/TJX/etc occasionally.

16. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    I'm a pretty diligent "all or nothing" collector, so after several past lines like Alternators, WW Titaniums, Robot Heroes, etc. were unexpectedly cut short and thus felt incomplete, I no longer start a new line until they're several figures in and/or it's clear that there will be some longevity and/or how good the line/figures look. Animated was the only non-G1 related line in recent years that I dove into, and currently the only ones I pay attention to are Encores, Masterpieces & Classics/Generations. And the only time I buy one-offs of anything are if there's a Prime *and* Megatron... ala Mighty Mugs, Revoltech, etc.

17. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If I like it, I get it.

18. Black Omega

Black Omega Commander Panda Prime

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I collect strictly G1 and Classics. I am a child of the 80's without question and a Geewunner as some people in the fandom has put it. But my entire G1 collection are all reissues so they aren't real G1 toys. :lol 

19. CobramusPrime

CobramusPrime energon on the rocks

I just started getting into collecting TFs I mean I was aware and had some when I was younger but,collecting wasn't what I had in mind. Now that I do collect its what I like, like the MPs and some classics/universe/generation and third parties which I think make some amazing (though expensive) figures. The figure that I was hoping to be something special was the FOC Shockwave the mold was too hollow and too small I feel for a deluxe.

Note: The recently release MP TC is my first MP figure but not the last hopefully I get my hands on Hasbro's MP OP and I'm for sure will be getting MP Soundwave.

20. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    When I had more spare cash available for figures I was not so much picky about what I bought as which order I bought stuff in, as I'd usually buy it all eventually anyway. Now I suppose I could be less picky as there's less coming out and even less getting release here in the UK. When you have a choice of very little in front of you there's less need to be picky because there's less to be picky with. I think apart from redecos I'll end up owning everything from TFP that comes out over here anyway. So I'm back again to being picky about what order I buy these things in.