How "open" are you in regards to your TF collection/obsession?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Div, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Div

Div Cardboard Boximus

I've been a fan since I was 4 or 5 when my dad got me the dinobots back in '85. I bought, played & often broke them as a kid. Now that I am older & much less rougher, I've taken back to buying them again & I appreciate the nostalgia & joy that comes with owning & playing with the masterpieces I've owned.

I have a shelf in my office where I've have them standing/sitting/transforming or what have you. I've never really discussed my hobby outside of my home with friends/coworkers. I have discussed when I have people over & some give me that shock/disbelief that one would spend money on a "toy" that has no outside practical uses/enjoyment. I'm always left telling them it's better spent than on drugs/alcohol/gambling (not that I do any of those things). I'm a simple person who doesn't have a lavish lifestyle or splurge on big ticket things.

I'm sure there are other people like me, amirite?

• Like Like x 11
  2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I'm completely open about it. I have toys on my desk at work. I wear Transformers apparel when I'm not working (occasionally, not like every single weekend). I post about Transformers on my Facebook and Instagram. There are shelves full on display in my apartment. Anybody who knows me is aware of it, and generally the reaction from my peers is positive. When it's not...
    ...this usually works pretty well to put things in perspective. I'll also mention that it's less expensive and time consuming than taking up golf, regularly attending sporting events, hunting, fishing, restoring a car, or numerous other "normal" hobbies I could take up.

• Like Like x 7
  3. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    When I was working in Ohio...Fortress Maximus used to hang out on my work station all the time...so I think I'm pretty open...but...there are folks from before I got back into it that may not have a clue...

4. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    I guess I'm more open about my interests then before. When I was younger I kind of hid who I was behind a facade if you will but as I've gotten older (and more cynical) I've cared a lot less about what others thought. My family knows I love Transformers and collect them though I do have a few members who I occasionally get the feeling they don't fully agree with my decisions. And the very rare friend or co-worker knows I like Transformers (and even fewer know I'm a collector). So I'm 'open' just to a degree, hell is it kind of more obvious when I'm walking around in a Decepticon shirt?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Div

Div Cardboard Boximus

id like to put some on my desk at work too lol, there was that transforming optimus prime pen i was eyeing that i thought would be a cool desk item

thats also something i point out too, i dont spend money on other hobbies like clubbing that some of my friends love to do. at least my wife understands me & loves that it keeps me spend thrifty & at home ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mr JackatooTM

Mr JackatooTM I'm a Colossal boi

News Credits:
    If someone asks me, I tell them. I'm not really "open" but I don't really have a problem telling people.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    yeah, i'm open. if someone doesn't like it then oh well. i've got a lot bigger issues than what someone thinks about me

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jochimus

Jochimus Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!

I've got pretty much all of Combiner Wars and Titans Return standing around my computer at work, and nobody's complained yet. It's about the only color there is in our office.

• Like Like x 3
  9. grimlock78

grimlock78 Well-Known Member

Im not that open to it at all. Some of my family dosent even know. Only people who are really cloe to me and know me well and for a long time. I only have one nerd buddy my best friend. When I was single...and single again.Woman whom I have dated didnt know unitl they happen to sleep over. by that time they thought it kinda cute that I have a kids heart. I do belive if you collect and display..keep nice looking and classy. But honestly it is to whatever is to your hearts content.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jumbosaber

jumbosaber Walking Talking Jumbo Jet

Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    I talked about Transformers for 1 second and my irl friends told me to shut the fuck up

• Like Like x 3
  11. geekatron prime

geekatron prime The Grammar Police must be on strike.

News Credits:
    More or less open about my collecting Transformers or whatever else i'm into. My mom thinks its ok, tho i have way to many according to her :D . Other family members thinks its cool and interesting. Only a select few know about it at work, there closet collectors and dont want alot of people knowing. Me, don't care either way who knows it, but don't go out of my way to advertise it either. If someone shows some genuine interest i will show my collection to them.
    My girlfriend finds them cool and lets me ramble on sometimes. Doesn't know what i'm talking about, but she gets why i like them! :) 

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I'm so open, when a guy/not-guy asks me if we should use toys, I ask which size class.

• Like Like x 20
  13. TF rocks

TF rocks Try and stop me! Studio Trigger for Transformers!

I'm quite open with it now, but when I was younger, like grade school and middle school age, I hid it, even from my own parents. I would watch the show, but pretend I missed the name every time I did, which worked every time. :lol  But when I was 13, I came out as a TF fan, and my parents have been accepting of it, even getting me TF apparel every now and then, and if I want a new TF toy, they let me get it. :D  And in high school, when the 2007 movie came out, I revealed it to my peers, and many were accepting of it as well. I was a closet TF fan you could say. :lol :p 

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dropkick

Dropkick Doktor

I have been a fan and collector ever since I recieved my first Universe Red Alert for Christmas. That was a long time ago. (2008 ish.)

Transformers have come and gone, sold or lost to time itself.
    I still don't know where I put my Armada Cyclonus and Crumplezone, or my Movie 2007 Deluxe Jazz, or MP Thundercracker for that matter.
    (HOW COULD YOU LOSE THAT YOU IDIOT!!! "Said every transformers collector to me ever")

With that said though, I am pretty open and my friends even mildly joke with me about my obsession.
    So yeah. I'm pretty open.
    (Just don't mention my lost MP Thundercracker to anyone)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  15. geekatron prime

geekatron prime The Grammar Police must be on strike.

News Credits:
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: 

:lolol 

• Like Like x 2
  16. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

I'm not very open with people in general. I'm just too shy to really talk to people, and thus I don't really discuss my hobbies with them.

• Like Like x 1
  17. herugrim

herugrim N/A

Ebay:
    I hid it when I first started collecting it as an adult mainly because my parents still had a habit of throwing out my stuff and giving it away. Eventually it became too big to hide but nobody messes with it now that I'm the one paying the bills.

I don't bring them to work, though. I dont have my own office space to decorate and I don't trust my coworkers either. If it comes up I will mention it as a fan but I haven't met anybody who was into them enough irl to have a conversation with.

18. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    I'm not very open about it, but i dont really see the point in being so since most people wouldnt care either way.
    My family and friends know, but just like my collectiin of Techno 12" its not like they have any real interest in the subject.
    I collect stuff, it doesnt hurt anyone, thats all.
    Well there is the nostalgia factor for a few palls, but thats about it.

19. Pho'ptimus Prime

Pho'ptimus Prime Mancave Spelunker

I'm very open about it. My family and friends generally know about my collection. My wife is fine with it as long as they don't overrun all the rooms/counters/shelf and table space at home. When I bring a new figure home, it's usually before she gets home. I open and fool around when she goes to sleep. Gradually they end up everywhere in the house but she doesn't recognize a new from and older figures... "As they look all the same" :cry  to her...

20. TLK Barricade

TLK Barricade Keep calm and Hail Megatron.

Same here. My family knows about my hobbies, but only them.

• Like Like x 1