How on earth do you get HFTD leader starscream to stand?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Xonic, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Xonic

Xonic Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    So, after many weeks,I have my new leader starscream, this time, his sounds actually all work properly. Only thing now is, how on earth do you get him to stand? the knee joints seem to be really weak on mine. They do ratchet, but he's just so top heavy. the only way i've managed it so far, is for him to have his knee bentt fully like he's crouching and the bottom half of his leg bent forward, so his leg becomes a zigzag. He doesn't seem to be able to support himself when his legs are fully extended. Is this the right or best way and do people have another? also, do you point his toes out when he's standing or leave them tucked in?

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Well, his legs aren't supposed to be fully extended, for one. Yours might also have loose ratchet joints.

3. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    You've just gotta play the weight of the figure to its advantage, and use a little "chicken leg" to help out. For example...

[​IMG]

4. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    As opposed to how in space he might stand?

5. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    hahaha yeah.

Gundam stands would totally take a dump on any sort of ground based pose I come up with, I know it.

6. Xonic

Xonic Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I seem to have a nack for choosing the worst ones out there. My first one, his transforming sound was broken and his missiles never stayed in the holes on his wings. So now, to be clear, I have his knee fully bent and the lower leg fully bent. Is this right or do you find moving the hip helps as well? i find he just topples over if he's not stood like this.

7. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

I'm not fully understanding your situation. Is he failing to stand because the joints are too loose and collapse under the weight or is it that he falls over? Your comment on being too top heavy implies the latter.

If he's merely falling over (as opposed to the joints giving out), then you're doing something wrong. Simply look at Truenomadskies's picture. You should be able to have him stand digitigrade (i.e., like a chicken or the back legs of a dog) pretty easy, in a number of various poses.

If the joints are giving out, then obviously that's a different problem.

8. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He's supposed to stand digitigrade (chicken-legged). If you don't do that, then the balance over his feet may indeed be slightly off, making him prone to toppling over.

9. Xonic

Xonic Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yeah, problem on mine is the joints. far far too loose, so the only way he stood like that was with his knees fully crouched and the lower part of his leg fully bent to the front, in other words, his legs fuly curled under him like he was about to spring up. The ratchet joint on one of the legs just stopped clicking on mine as well, have seen this happen before. so, I've now tightened up the screws on the inside of his knees. They don't ratchet any more, but they're rock solid and his legs are a little more extended. apologies re picture, I'm actually totally blind so cannot see graphics. hopefuly I have him right now though :) 

10. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Just in case, you didn't forget to fold out the black heels right?

It's weird, Leader SS is a pretty stable figure, he can do a lot of poses. You must have gotten a bad one.

11. Flyby33

Flyby33 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    [​IMG]

12. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

...Then how the heck are you able to even post here? Or even know whether you're trying to stand Starscream on his head instead of his feet?

And how are you even able to read these responses?:sly2: 

I don't mean any offense, but I find your claim of being totally blind to be confusing.

13. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

There are several reading technologies for the blind (just google "computer interfaces for the blind"). As to standing on his head, are you telling me that even someone like you or me who has sight can't tell Starscream's head from his feet with our eyes closed? OP is blind, but I assume he otherwise has full use of his other senses and can enjoy TFs that way.

I suspect I could transform many of my figures with my eyes closed, and that's without the dexterity and skill that a blind person would surely develop.

14. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Yeah, I have friends who're legally blind (one of which who literally can't see shit), and she probably uses more internet stuff than I do. I'd hate to be transforming all of my movie figures without looking, though haha.

Also to Xonic, I'm sorry my pic didn't help you, but I'll try & explain how mine stands. Basically, I take the first joint down from his hip & move it back a couple of clicks like a normal knee. Next, I take the next one down that's his lower leg & point it forward a little bit so that its mostly vertical. After that, I play with it a little, and even though the joints & things are loose, I can get it just fine.

15. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    And hey, he doesn't have to worry about repaints.

I'm sorry your Leader Scream got a bum rap. I have the same problem with HFTD Banzaitron, an amazing figure whose hips are extremely loose.

16. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    Dayum!

17. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

...Well now I seem to be coming off even more of a jerk than I feared...:redface2: 

The right knee on mine is a bit wobbly, but he stands fine even with his legs bend just a bit.

18. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Can I just say, if you all thought you were cool for being able to transform the figures without instructions, you ain't got nothing on the OP. You sir, just won for being able to transform these figures blind. Just amazing. :thumb 

19. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    Damn straight!

20. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yea, much props to the OP. I can barely transform movie stuff with sight (and watching Youtube videos of the transformations, lol). The fact that you do it with what I'd consider to be your eyes closed is amazing.

But from what I've read, it just seems like you got a bad one. It's really weird because HFTD Starscream is a really sturdy figure.