How often does Hasbro restock TF toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Arkitect76, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Arkitect76

Arkitect76 Fanaticon

News Credits:
    Im new to this so I dont know if this has been discussed...but to anyone that might now this...when Hasbro ships out waves of TF toys to stores, how many shipments do they usually send? Do they just send out one large shipment to X or Y store and thats it? or do they restock stores every couple of months and if they do restock, for how long do they usually do this before the stores are eventually dry of stock and dont get anymore from Hasbro again?...only asking because Ive noticed, for example, Leader Class IronHide just came out recently and no one seems to have it (only secondary market with high prices). To those with TF toy experience....do they eventually restock the stores after a few weeks? months? any input would be helpful...thanks guys in advance....

2. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Good question. I'd go with weekly shipments and stores restocking at times that we don't know.

3. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    This a rather complex situation you're asking about, there is no "one set answer" because there are a HUGE number of factors that factor into the situation.
    These factors include:
    store volume (how much the store sells and how fast)
    existing inventory on shelf (if a store has 20 leader Bumblebees, the system thinks they have "20 leader Transformers" and won't get more until they sell)
    Inventory in distribution (is stuff on the way, or does the warehouse even have any?)
    Sales in region (some stuff just sells better in some areas than others)
    Time of year (outside of the initial push at a movie launch, retailers don't stock much in the spring or summer preferring to sell of existing inventory in preparation for receiving a TON of new product in the fall for Christmas)
    X factors (these include unanticipated success like Transformers in 2007, or a toy or character is new and/or popular)

Hasbro is (all things considered) very good about keeping a solid flow of product to the retail channel, but their shipments are limited by what retailers order. If Walmart thinks they have enough product in inventory (be it on store or in warehouse) they won't place orders for new product (which may include "new products"). Hasbro has no control over the toys once they are received by the individual retailer distribution centers.

As far as the leader Ironhide situation: he is (comparatively) a new figure, so you not only have fans seeking him, but because he is not on every single shelf in the country, you have speculators and scalpers buying him as well because he is new and therefore "hot". Plus parents and kids are buying up the line as well.
    Restocking will depend on how many figures the store has on shelf (again, if a store has 20 leader Bumblebees, they likely don't see a need to get more cases of leader Transformers in).

But remember, we are coming up to the Christmas buying season where retailers stock up heavily on toys. Jetfire was hard to find in the summer of 2009, but was easily available by fall (if nothing else, online stores will start building up an inventory as interest fades), in same places he even became a shelfwarmer.

Ironhide will be much more plentiful this fall as stores gear up for Christmas, if you can be patient for a couple months, you should have no issue getting him this fall.

4. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Hasbro doesn't stock individual stores, they only send product to the warehouses (if we're talking about big name shops like Target, Walmart). Hasbro has absolutely nothing to do with store-by-store distribution.

5. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Some common issues here...

First, Hasbro doesn't restock the store. The store does. So Walmart is the one responsible for stock levels at Walmarts. Hasbro may occasionally have retail agents come in and set up special things like standees or displays.

Second, stores order stock by some internal logic. Many stores have an automated ordering system so that when, say deluxes, hit a certain number left in the store the system will order a case or two from their warehouse. Again though, this is going to be the store's warehouse, not Hasbro.

Thirdly, Hasbro produces most of the toys 2-3 months before they end up on shelves, and will produce them in case assortments. So if Target orders 1000 cases of wave 1 and don't manage to sell enough to justify ordering another shipment for 4 months, they may end up skipping wave 2 and end up on wave 3.

Things like Leaders tend to sell slower and so get restocked slower. So if your store has 5 Leader Bumblebees in stock odds are that you won't get Ironhides any time soon.

6. Arkitect76

Arkitect76 Fanaticon

News Credits:
    and what about in the case of older toys like the ones from RotF....is it safe to assume these dont get restocked since they are from the previous movie? For example, should I get my hopes and wait to see if the stores restock on RotF HA Barricade or HA Jazz?

7. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Brony

News Credits:
    They aren't stocked because they aren't produced anymore in the factories. If you want those, you'll have to luck out in liquidators like Ross/TJ Maxx/Marshalls for HA Jazz, or secondary market for HA Barricade.

8. tfike110

tfike110 G1ToyCollector

Ebay:
    So leader Ironhide is difficult to find now? I just saw 3 of them at my local Kmart 2 weeks ago.

9. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Your local experience, however, does not necessarily reflect nationwide conditions.

10. Arkitect76

Arkitect76 Fanaticon

News Credits:
    :banghead: 

ok so it would be safe to say that eventually all currently out of stock DotM toys will eventually be restocked (for holiday season, etc.) but RotF, I'm SOL, unless I can find them in liquidators, etc..?

Thanks guys for helping me out to understand this and what to expect....

11. Arkitect76

Arkitect76 Fanaticon

News Credits:
    yup leader IH is gone everywhere where I am...and has been like that for a month more or less, at least thats when I was looking for it...and still havent seen them restocked.

12. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    Not sure but last time I was at TRU (couple weeks ago), they still had HFTD and ROTF toys.

13. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The difference though is that TRU is a toy store, so there is less need to push old stock out. Target, Walmart, Kmart, and the like only have so much space for toys, where TRU has space until they have a full store. The flipside to that though is that the older toys you see there will often just be the peg warmers at full price.