How often do you mix and match Molds?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by UltimusPrime, Oct 30, 2011.

1. UltimusPrime

UltimusPrime Banned

News Credits:
    I was playing with Ultra Class Cybertron Defense Red Alert and TRU Universe Countdown and swapping out guns and missiles and ended up making a pretty cool mixture of both.

Does anyone else mix and match parts on molds to create a new color scheme or maybe a weapon goes better with another figure? (I have done this several times giving mechtech weapons to classics figures.)

Just curious your experience with SWAPPING parts.

2. Warpshard

Warpshard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well I swapped Parts (Mainly arms & legs) between Movie Gears,Movie bludgeon(The repaint of wreakage) & generations drift.I made a car carrier with gears's legs,Drifts body,& bludgeons legs. (Gears's legs are the hands.),A buff guy with gears's arms,Bludgeons body,& drifts legs.I don't know what happened to gears,but I don't want to find out.

3. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Well I've got a half done kitbash from cyb Hotshot and cyb Excellion, basically taking the orange parts from Excellion and the blue from Hotshot and making Nightbeat but I've got to paint the head and chest up to match. The left over will probably be put together to make back ground TF No 1186.

4. twiztidRodimus

twiztidRodimus Shattered Glass Autobot

News Credits:
    I'm wondering can you put the cannon's from 2007 voyager Transformers Ironhide, on dotm voyager Ironhide? I don't like the mechtech weapon he has now, and want the double cannons from the 2007 movie

5. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    The only time I do something like this is when it creates a new character. I swapped Universe Sideswipe and Sunstreaker's heads to make Tigertrack and Turbo. I also added a Sunstreaker head to an extra Red Alert to make Checkpoint once I get the police deco done. Also a rather involved parts swap between Tracks and Wheeljack so I could make Slice and whatever the hell I can turn white Tracks into.

Past that, all my Classic Bumblebee molds are holding pistols from Blurr.

6. mjcrow

mjcrow Well-Known Member

My son took the guns from mp Skywarp and uses them for his 25th anniversary Prime and Roller.

7. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

I took the head, forearms, arm cannons, and hips from Recon Ironhide and put them on TF07 Ironhide.
    [​IMG]

8. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I swapped parts from ROTD Sideways and his HFTD repaint to make a better one that doesn't have very much red. I'm also planning to get an extra DOTM Deluxe Soundwave and his black repaint, and combine the parts to make a figure that will be grey/silver in vehicle mode and will have black robot mode parts. I also swap weapons fairly often. I've got RTS Bumblebee holding Class 2-pack Deluxe Megatron's gun, and I might give DOTM Cyberfire Bumblebee's gun to Classics Cliffjumper. I'm also probably going to get DOTM Armor Topspin and gives his guns to other figures.

9. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Medic

News Credits:
    I might get the white repaint of Dotm Ratchet and swap some parts with my regular one.

10. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Known Member?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Classics Perceptor has Generations Blurr's sniper rifle and Cliffjumper has United Blurr's pistols (though he doesn't hold them very well). I was thinking of giving Generations Drift's smaller blades to one of the FP Insecticons once I ship them. That's as much as I've done, but that has more to do with having extras of a certain toy than part swapping, I guess.

11. twiztidRodimus

twiztidRodimus Shattered Glass Autobot

News Credits:
    Drift:
    I gave him the three Mandarin Spawn swords I had

Sidearm Sideswipe:
    Two Wheeljack guns from Generations

Perceptor:
    Kups Sniper Rifle

Kup:
    the two laserbeak dotm guns

12. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I plan on getting the chromed bits off the Henkei Ramjet and putting them onto the Official Classics Ramjet. IMO it's one of the infrequent cases where I think a Hasbro paint job is better. Sure it's not cartoon accurate... but the Henkei one looks a bit plain outside his chromed bits.

13. Mighty.Maximal

Mighty.Maximal Banned

I do that quite often. Keep an eye on the Cool stuff picture thread in the next few days and I'll show off what I've done.

Quite often the one time it didn't work out was with Breakaway I thought that swapping bits between the repaints would look better instead it looked horrible and half-wrecked the bits when I swapped them back.

14. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I switched missile launchers on Classics Prowl and Smokescreen, and plan on switching the thighs too, now that I have a pin puncher. I gave Botcon Thrust's missiles to Generations Dirge. Also, classics Cliffjumper now has WFC Cliffjumper's head. (I don't care that it's a slightly darker red)

Edit: Classics Perceptor is holding Blurr's sniper rifle.

15. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    off the top of my head, I've:

Traded WFC and Classics Cliffjumper's heads.
    Given the combiner-mode head of PCC Smolder to Botcon Bugbite.
    Created a hybrid of Botcon and Generations Thrust.
    Put Classics Grimlock's robot head on Energon Grimlock's body (more a mod than a simple swap though)

...and other stuff.

16. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

Back in the G2 days, I swapped the blue parts of Hooligan with the red parts of Cyberjet Jetfire to make a more G1-type color scheme for Jetfire. I called the leftover orange/blue guy Sunkist.

17. fawnheart2000

fawnheart2000 Autobot

I've done this quite often as well.
    Traded forearms off a Darkmount and Skullgrin, head, cannon, and claw shield from a 2-pack Megatron, to make a new Megatron.
    Swapped Terradive's head with PCC Leadfoot's, traded Terradive's tail fins with dyed Space Case's tail fins, to make a new character.
    The Space Case that got the Terradive tail fins was changed into a Slipstream with Fakebusker's Shapeways head.
    Traded lots of parts from Classics Sideswipe, 2 Red Alerts(one became a new character), and a KO DIY kit.
    WFC Soundwave received an Action Master Blaster head.
    Basically, if I can get the color I want by swapping parts instead of painting or dyeing I try to do it. That way I don't have to worry about paint chipping.

18. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    I've taken the 3 Cyberverse Prime releases and swapped the figures & accessories around to my taste... The Preview Optimus is now paired up with the trailer (proper flame deco on the semi for an accurate alt mode). The one who originally came w/ the trailer now has the swords & guns (for a 'fight scene' Prime)... And the Blue Steel Prime has the jetpack because I have nothing else to swap with him...

Otherwise, I have a G2 Megatron who needed some TLC... I picked up a BW2 Megastorm & gave G2 Megs his rifle, missiles, & light. I also took them both apart & swapped out the panels their heads sit on; as the flap from the G2 Megs had a worrisome stressmark... Now I've got a happy-go-lucky G2 Megatron, & an unloved BW2 Megastorm to use for a possible custom... :) 

19. Nope

Nope yscohb

News Credits:
    Generations Dirge has the G1 cannons.

20. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

I've got a BWII Thrust with G2 Megaplex's right forearm. I love the asymmetry. The Megaplex was pretty much destroyed, so I swapped the forearms just to see how it looks and wound up liking it. I eventually lost Thrust's own forearm but... I don't mind it.

Also, I've got a silver Street Sharks missile with a groove that fits the ridge of the forearm. It matches the Metroplex arm quite well.