How OCD are you about your Transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TFTheoretician, Jun 25, 2014.

1. cartertime

cartertime Well-Known Member

Every one of my TF's must be right handed. Eg: All of them hold their weapons in their right hand.

2. Movie PRIME

Movie PRIME Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As much as I'm really afraid to do this, I think I should for other people on here who also suffer from OCD.

I have actually suffered with extreme OCD for most of my life. My OCD includes not only normal things, but also Tourette like movement tics as well. I have learned to control it to a level where I can blend in most of the time, even ignore it altogether from time to time, but it was at its worse, and most uncontrollable when I was a teenager. Of course that was the mid-90s when crazy with cool, so my eccentric behavior wound up just helping to make me one of the coolest kids in my school. Unfortunately, all the girls from the other privileges of teenage fame did little to stop the pain in my head.

For those who don't know the difference between an annoying habit and true OCD an annoying habit will bother you maybe even bother you a lot, but with OCD a great anxiety comes over you if you don't perform your compulsion. When my OCD was at its height in my teenage years, I used to tell my psychiatrist that messing up an attempt to complete a compulsion left me with the feeling like I had died and was seeing myself fall to hell. You’re not there yet you don't feel the flames you are not being poked with pitchforks, but you know it's coming. When things that affect your obsessions or your compulsions come up you feel like something terribly wrong is going to happen if you don't do something about it. You don't know what it is that's going to happen you just have an overwhelming feeling like something very wrong is going to happen.

As far as my post earlier, the swords are very much an OCD thing for me. Right now I have a YotH Optimus that I really want to take out of the box, but I don't have a sword for him yet so I haven't because somehow doing that would be wrong. I don't know why it would be wrong, but it just feels like it would be wrong.

The question of whether or not I find this thread to be insulting. The answer is no. I learned a long time ago to laugh about this stuff, and to laugh at people with annoyances, who think they have OCD. ;) 

3. deltagod

deltagod Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    More OCD than anyone else.

4. TFTheoretician

TFTheoretician Well-Known Member

Movie PRIME, thank you very much for sharing your story! Hopefully it can comfort and inspire other members who struggle with OCD right now. According to statistics, there should be a bunch...

Please feel free to share, to the degree that you are comfortable with it.

That goes for other members, too. Anything from silly quirks to real problems can be discussed!

5. Canbot

Canbot Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback. I wonder if any of you remember a time before you realized you had OCD, or was it always kind of there? Would anyone become more prone to OCD if they 'gave in' to their more extreme 'pickiness' regarding their collections? I guess what I mean to say is, is OCD something that can be developed through gradual process, or is it just BOOM, you're OCD?

Speaking of tics, I had some friends in high school who had tics, although I didn't know what it was, nor was anybody asking because we felt it was rude. I have a buddy now who gets quite ticky when he drinks (which is a lot) but he's also sleep deprived most times. He's described his tics to me (which he'll do when he's drunk, if I ask in a non-threatening way) as "trying to make a certain, particular kind of sound...a 'perfect' sound". He'd make a humming sound, with some clicks, the kind you think aren't that audible but I've noticed them, much more when he's drinking. Would that kind of behaviour fall under OCD type behaviour? He's said that those bouts of clicking and other noises would sometimes take hours, something he's prone to do when he has the time. I guess since it's not impacting his work, he feels it's ok, but I find it affects his social life, which to me would be a definite sign.

6. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wash my hands before touching my figures.

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I do this simply to stay clean as well as keep oils from my fingers and such away from my figures. A small amount of dust doesn't really bother me a lot, but an excessive amount does. I'm in the process of changing some things about my collection to make things a bit more dust free.

8. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    OC about paint apps, although not as much as before, otherwise I won't be able to buy anything, LOL!

9. kaiserlisk

kaiserlisk Squid Kid

News Credits:
    Not really OCD, but if some characters are grouped as a trio in-fiction then it becomes annoying when I have two Hasbro-official figures, but not the third.

10. TFTheoretician

TFTheoretician Well-Known Member

Sounds textbook to me. As for OCD, it usually starts off in an innocent way, and gradually worsens, and the sufferer tends to adapt to and get used to his or her gradual limitations of freedom, up til a point where it is impossible, that is. In other words, you might be a better judge about your friend´s problem than himself, because there is a lot of shame and denial in having OCD, even towards oneself. Take it from someone who´s been there...

11. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    I wipe the package well with tissue paper before opening. I also wash my hands before opening each package.

12. Rattlehead1320

Rattlehead1320 Well-Known Member

I tend to line up my figures (or anything) in symmetrical way. So I certainly hate it when someone would move my figures even by half inch.

When I'm buying a new figures I also pick the one with the best box condition. I would scan every corner of it and pick the best one.

I also buy 2 of the same figures sometimes, not every figures but I have at least 10 double figures.

13. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 GATTAI Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    This is one of my quirks. My collection is also super OCD. Unless a shelf is a "WIP" such as my Dinobot shelf, everything has to be even on both sides. That includes approximate number of figures and size classes. If I travel and decide to take a few figures with me, I try to have an even number of Autobots and Decepticons and again, size classes come into account as well.

14. Rattlehead1320

Rattlehead1320 Well-Known Member

What if you got a defect one :ev: 

15. Canbot

Canbot Well-Known Member

This was well over ten years ago, and to be honest I'm not around as much as I was back then...although again, when he's drunk, it's almost like mini bouts of seizures. I'll float the question to him if I see the behaviour again, but he's an adult and I think he's probably talked to a doc by now. In the beginning, it just weirds you out, but it's actually a sad thing.