How much will the new Camaro cost?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pikatron, May 27, 2008.

1. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

Does anyone here have any guesses as to how much the new Camaro will go for? You know, TF: Movie BB's CC alt mode. :) 

The Mustang looks nice, but if I can get a low end Camaro for around the same price ($20k) I'd opt for that instead.

2. gil

gil Godmaster

If history dictates prices, then the Camaro would follow the Mustang prices. The Base V6 cars would be a little over $20k, the Z28 about 30k, and the SS would be Cobra/Shelby 500 prices.

But there's no real solid info about the Camaro's motors yet. There's a rumor that the base V6 would push 300 hp (Mustang GT power), so selling that car for 20k to 25k is a killer bargain. But If it really is 300 hp, then 30k is more a reality.

BTW, I'm either going to get a Camaro or a Mustang in 2010 or so. I like the look of the 2010 Mustang, but, again as history would dictate, the Camaro is going to kill the Mustang in performance in every level. At least I got two years to figure it out.

3. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    I'd guess around $30k base, maybe a little lower. In the past, the Camaro was a cheaper sports car, but I think Chevy's working against that image this time around (and with much of the competition gone). They've got the cobalt for cheap thrills, and the vette for the pseudo high rollers. I'd say the camaro has a ton of nostalgia appeal, even though the brand's only been out of production for a few years. I guess I'm thinking it'll be a hover around or above the Firebird pricing scale.

Also, is it confirmed that there'll be a Z28? I figured they'd leave that variant dead and keep it simple with a stock and SS model, at least to start.

Which reminds me...I really need a new Firebird to come out of the Camaro chassis, like now.

4. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I wish I still had my '79. I got it for two grand.

5. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I wonder how much will it cost in Europe...

6. gil

gil Godmaster

I know the Firebird and Camaro were twins, but did the Firebird cost more then the Camaro? If not, then that last line sounds wierd. Sounds like your saying the Camaro's price will hover around or above the Camaro pricing scale.

Like I said, no real info is out on the motors the Camaro will use. So, I'm just guessing the prices of the three Camaro lines that will happen. When they will happen, I don't know. My guess is they'll start with a V6 and Z28 model, then they'll give us an SS model.

I honestly thought the GTO would have made more money. And when the Camaro came out, we'll have Camaro/GTO twins, with the GTO replacing the Firebird. But the GTO is gone. And the Camaro is alone. I'm guessing a number of reason's why the Firebird is not coming out. First, is the poor performance of the GTO. Second, the Firebird will steal sales from the Camaro. Third, they're probably waiting for the right time. When they get all the Camaro variations out and sales start slowing, then the Firebird might make it's return.

7. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

Hopefully by the time the new Camaro comes out gas will be 5 dollars.

8. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    From what I remember, Firebirds were priced a tad higher than the Camaro because of various small performance and stylistic improvements/changes. So, I'm saying I think the Camaro's going to cost more now (relatively speaking) than its last iteration, about what a Firebird would cost.

The GTO came too soon, before the rebirth of the American Muscle/Pony car, but it also lacked the style, and wasn't truly an american car, it was essentially a re-badge of the Holden Monaro, an Aussie car. That's irrelevant, but what is important, is that it really lacked the spirit, look, and feel of its namesake, save for the GTO badge and powerful engine. I could see it mking a comeback again in a truer form, but it's doubtful.

I wouldn't call the GTO a competitor for the Camaro/Mustang/Charger class, as they're more along the lines of "Pony" cars than the beast that was the GTO. I've read recently that GM came out and flatly denied that they'll be reviving the Firebird brand, which like you said would cannibalize the sales of their much-hyped Camaro. I like the new Camaro very much, don't get me wrong, but the Firebird has always held a special spot in my heart...and driveway.

9. gil

gil Godmaster

Okay, so I'm reading Road & Track and it has an article about the new Camaro and it's different trim levels. All they said about prices is that base is in the 20-30K with the SS in the mid to upper 30K range. What's interesting is the engines in the trim levels:

LS (base) - 3.5 V6 with about 220 HP
    LT - 3.6 V6 with about 300 HP
    SS - 6.2 V8 with about 400 HP

They also mentioned a Z28 model to com out later with a supercharged V8 making something like 500 HP.

I think it's weird that they're changing the trim levels from the past with the SS being the high performance car while the Z28 is the base v8 car. Now the SS is the base V8 car, while the Z28 is the high performance car.

Also, They have a V6 in the LT car that does 300HP, so this is the car that's basically battling the Mustang GT. with the SS in between the GT and Shelby Mustangs.

10. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

"One Million Dollars!"
    [​IMG]

11. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Price wise GM has said it will be "premium" compared to the Mustang so price is probably going to be higher, however no concrete pricing has been released yet.

The reasoning behind the SS switch is in 2002 when the last camaro was made There weren't to many SS's, Now the SS badges is on almost all their cars, the cobalt, the impala, the monte carlo, heck even the trailblazer has an SS. They want the ID Badge for the top Camaro to be unique to just the camaro, hence the z28 badge taking that honor this time around. I think it makes more sense this way mayself.

On the firebird. Pontiac said they do not want the car. They are trying to focus the brand on more of an upscale customer, like BMW, and the firebird/trans am "to them" doesn't fit that mold. Personally, I liked the firebird and the camaro, however if one were to return I'm glad it's the one I own :) 

12. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

Rumors fly from a turbo 4 from the solstice GXP to a supercharged LS9 variant in the Z28. Expect V6 prices on par with the Mustang, 300hp v6 just under the GT, LS3 motor just 1-2k over the GT, and the Z28 in the high 30's-mid 40's. I for one was tired of waiting, so I am finishing building a 650hp LS7 for my SS now. I will get the supercharged Z28 one day, but I am going to take my time. My wife wants a 50K+ car now, so I am going to be waiting a while for my new ride.

13. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Don't know how much the new Camaro would be. However, I'd rather go with a black Mustang. Can't help it... my love for Barricade's still going strong.

14. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I'm curious that with all the complaint about high oil and thus petrol prices have gotten in the US, that you even give a shit about the cost of such an impractical car.

15. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Impractical? Maybe.

Cool car better than some BMW or Mercedes crap? Damm right.

For a European, I have a strong disdain for most of European cars. Heck I rather have a classic muscle car (Mustang, Camaro, whatever) over a Ferrari or a Lambo.

I was sooo born in the wrong continent.....

16. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    The comment wasn't meant as some sort of Euro>US powerful cars thing, whenever I see a new V12 Merc or BMW I palm my face and wonder why the fuck they bother.

I mean my preference leans towards older American Muscle (such as the 76 Stingray and the 66 Mustang, things of beauty) and newer European Muscle-like cares (Aston Martin DB9, Lambos and Ferraris and of course the Veyron) and the Holdon Monaro.

So the car themselves as all things are vastly personal things. I just can't fathom, why with petrol getting more expensive you'd consider a Camaro or Audi R8 as a car over a more standard sedan.

17. Max-prime

Max-prime Supreme-Commander

News Credits:
    I would consider it a weekend/fun car not something I would drive daily ..... my super pratical honda civic would get that duty.

18. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Well see thats the thing, if performance you must have, surely there are some nice hybrids?

Now I don't mean Hybrid like the Civic or Prius but rather something like this:

4.0L I6, 320hp/330lb-ft Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo [​IMG]
    Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo (also available in a non turbo 6 and 8 cylinder)
    or

LS3 6.2 litre Generation 4 V8 producing upto 317kW @ 6000rpm with torque climbing to 550Nm @ 4600rpm. [​IMG]
    Holden Commodore SS

Granted, still big engined cards, but at least they have passenger and boot capacity. For even cheaper options (depending on where you are) there are cars like the Subaru Impreza range and perhaps the planned Ralliart Lancer to fill the gap between the VR-X and Evo X too.

19. RKillian

RKillian https://rktoys.myshopify.com

Talk about epic fail, I'll eat my socks if they produce even a single sub-30K model of the Camaro.

20. Max-prime

Max-prime Supreme-Commander

News Credits:

I can see it range going from about 25k (base) to about 35k (SS) of course thats after the hype and dealer mark-up dies down. The last SS was about 30k and that was only a couple of years back this is ess. the same motor tweeked a bit and a revamp int./exter. they could make it 40k but then your getting into corvette territory and 50k is a low mile used ZO6. So yeah if you going to introduce a brandnew gas guzzler in todays market it better be resonably priced or under-priced. Nostalga dosen't count for much these days.