How much sense does this make?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by deceptihunter, May 12, 2010.

1. deceptihunter

deceptihunter sssssmmmmokin!

Today, I went to walmart today and the Nest Scout two pack was on clearance. Here's where it gets odd. The one with beachcomber and deadlift were priced at $5 while the other one with slapdash and trenchmouth was priced at $16. I can't understand it but the only thing I can think of is...it's Walmart.

2. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Did they maybe have a lot more of the beachcomber/deadlift sets left over, relative to the amount of Slapdash/Trenchmouth sets? They may have been trying to clear out some of that one specific set, if it's not selling well enough. After all, Wal-Mart's system doesn't work the same as Target's; every figure in an assortment has a different tracking number, so they can keep track of whether specific figures in each wave are selling.

For instance, as a recent example, a few months back I remember seeing some Wal-Marts putting RotF Voyager Demolishor on sale, back when they were clogging shelves. Just Demolishor, no other Voyagers. The same thing happened again around the time the Bludgeon/Recon Ironhide wave came out; there were still tons of the first Ironhide repaint warming shelves, so a couple of Wal-Marts in my area put Ironhide on sale. The rest of the Voyagers stayed regular price.

TL/DR -> It's not unheard of for Wal-Mart to drop the price of one specific figure/set in an assortment, if that particular item isn't selling.

3. deceptihunter

From what I saw, there were about the same amount of both sets.

4. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Did you scan both? They might be marked down in the system too.

5. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hunh. I didn't know that.
    I guess that explains the time I tried to buy the Clocker-Hardtop 2-pack and it rang up $5 while the Air Raid-Storm Surge set rang up $7. (I complained till the cashier fixed the price to $5.)

6. deceptihunter

Yeah, I scanned both. They also had about the same amount of each on the shelf.

7. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's entirely possible an employee scanned one pack in to set the clearance price, not considering that they might have different numbers, or maybe not even realizing there are different pairs.

8. AU Chevy

AU Chevy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I went into a Walmart in Prattville, AL and they had put these out, get this. Deadlift and Beachcomber was marked down to $3. Trenchmouth and Slapdash rang up as $1. Mind you these were marked down as soon as they came out, as a matter of fact they went straight to the clearance aisle. I think someone thought they were the Black Friday 2 pack and clearanced them. A few days later the shelf tag showed up in the TF aisle but it was never stocked.

9. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    "Collector pricing". :D