How much of this is in my control? (job related, slight rant warning)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DaggersRage, Oct 3, 2009.

1. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Hey guys,

My job is that I'm tech support at a call center but when I'm working on saturdays, I deal with customer service. About 90% of the calls are customer calling to cancel their service. Well, part of handing these cancelations is that I'm suppose to see if I can convince the customer to not cancel and provide one of our memberships that might suit them more. Like if they'll say they cant afford our $14.95 service a month, I'll offered a membership that $7/a month or a $15/ every 3 month offer.

Well, I'm suppose score an average of 20% saves, where we convience the customer to not cancel. Frankly, this sucks, after 27 calls I was only able to keep one customer so far and I'm probably going to get shit from it from one of my supervisors.

It's not like I'm not brushing off these customers, I try to find out why they're canceling and see if there is anything I can do to help with any issues they might have. Most of them just reply back going "No I just want to cancel". So much of this shit seems be based on getting lucky with someone and I dont have much of that.

I really think that most of this is out of my control but I'm still going to have it get marked against me. That seem fair?

2. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:

no its not really fair but thats life, but i agree it not right to hold you accountable if they just want to change to different company offer the same service the company you work for or in these time just dropping the service altogether for economic reasons id be willing to bet your not the only one not making that 20% right now

3. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Just the reality of working in the customer service field. It sucks, but you just gotten learn to deal with it. Not much else you can do about it cause you are extremely replaceable.

4. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

BOOM! Roasted.

Yeah, it's totally unfair and arbitrary, but it's not gonna change. So your option is to cross your fingers and hope it works out, or become more valuable to your employer.

5. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Wait, are you autistic or is that just a user title?

6. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

short answer: no. its not fair. but it doesnt seem you have much control.

you'll just have to tough it out.

7. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    It's totally unfair, and even the people that put the system in place know it. They just want to convert you into a totally seductive operator that tries his outmost best to convert his callers..

Personally I hate that kind of job, and you've probably also find out people on the phone will get aggressive or annoyed with you - it's not your fault but phone operators are just so damn annoying! :lol 

I wouldn't be able to live/work like that (and the uncertainty and stress), so kudos to you if you are able to keep working in such a job. Your endurance > my endurance.

A similar situation would be when you work in a store and a customer goes all apeshit against you for no reason: your manager would come to you, find a tirading customer, notice you have made a customer unhappy (which is bad for sales)..and give you an (official) warning.

It's totally unfair, but that's the way it is.

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Well, make sure you are doing your best in your tech support role, when you aren't doing customer cancellation calls, and it will balance out.

9. comaface

comaface Crush, kill, destroy

It's not fair and not really something you can control, and while it may be marked against you, I'd also be willing to bet that it's probably not something that will be marked against you too harshly as long as you're meeting their standards on the tech support side of things, which sounds like the main component of the job.

10. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    If doing your job correctly, then no, it's not fair.

11. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Don't they record those calls? I'd say have them review the tapes to find out if you've done everything you could have.

Personally, I'd have more integrity than to work at a job like that anyway, but I guess someone's gotta do it...

12. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ...Really? Really?!?!

Come on.

13. firehawc_69

News Credits:
    What?

Hmm, let me work a job where my pay depends on other people's personal decisions. Fuck that.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  14. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    A reasonable statement, wouldn't really word it as "having more integrity" though. But whatever, semantics.

15. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

Seems to me like that is the problem. If I was paying $15 a month and then I call to cancel and get offered a lower rate, I would cancel regardless of what the customer service rep offered me becuase I'd be pissed I wasn't given the best possible rate to begin with. Same thing happened when I switched from cable to dish/digital. The cable company offered me 50% off and I still told them no.

16. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

Gotta do what you can to make money. And whether you like it or not, unless you own the company your pay depends on other people's decisions either way.

17. firehawc_69

News Credits:
    Though you've missed the point, I've had the same job for over 16 years and that's not even close to being true for me. A management decision based on performance is one thing, but if you get judged by customer's wants or needs...something's wrong.

I do agree however, that unless you work for yourself, you'll never have complete freedom. And even then, you're probably working to pay off loans or have to put in extra hours to keep your business up. So you're never truly free. (Unless you can afford not to work.)

18. comaface

Unless he's working on commission, which wouldn't make any sense, I don't see how this applies. Pretty sure he gets paid regardless of the customers' decisions. Not sure how "integrity" plays into it, either.

19. firehawc_69

News Credits:
    The "integrity" part would probably be more obvious if we were talking about someone like a telemarketer or prostitute.

20. comaface

As someone who has done a bit of telemarketing, I... do not take exception to that remark, because I freely admit to having no integrity.

But I can see how somebody might. Like yeah, everybody hates telemarketers, but they're just fulfilling a certain demand like any other profession; prostitution, even moreso.