How much longer can "The Simpsons" last?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Paladin, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The yellow Springfieldians were a big part of my viewing growing up.

But nowadays I think the show is just painful to watch; its moved past "unfunny" and now just stands as a sad testament to its former self.

I've heard similar opinions from others, and yet it keeps airing.

How long can the damn phenomenon last????

2. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Until Matt Groening expires, or until FOX finally gets their heads out of their asses and ends the show like it should have a decade ago.

And by then, Satan will be ice-skating his way to work.

3. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    ^^^:lol 

4. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

I thought it needed to go awhile ago, but then I caught a few newer episodes here and there and they still made me laugh a lot. I was amazed they still had found new ways to be funny. I'll watch any Simpsons episode over any Family Guy episode any day.

5. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    God only knows.....and he won't tell me.

6. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    As long as it outlasts Family guy/Cleveland

7. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When People stop watching it.

8. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :rip  The Simpsons = dead to me ages ago

And before anyone does so, please, PLEASE don't pull out the lame "Well at least it's still better than half the crap on tv!" line that's been beaten to death. GTFO, the world doesn't need a Simpsons show that's worse than the other half of the crap on tv.

Call me old, but remember the days when The Simpson was actually relevant? When there was a certain buzz about upcoming episodes/guest stars, and people would talk about it the next day? The sooner this current abomination ends, the better.

An analogy I've always use would be comparing the show to a great athlete that doesn't know when to retire. Sure Michael Jordan could still average 14 points a game and be better than half the league, but is that what we really want?

9. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The answer lies within the Simpsons itself: "Just don't look! Just don't look!"

I'm fine with the Simpsons still being on. If I don't like a particular episode I just change the channel or turn the TV off or read a book or play with some toys or really anything else that will make me feel better than dwelling on and bemoaning the fact that there is something on television that I don't like.

10. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

The Simpsons is like SNL now. It's there for new generations to watch, so everyone has their particular timeframe for when quality was high.

The time to remember is, even if the shows no longer appeals to you doesn't mean the quality has gone down. YOU just don't care to watch the show any longer.

But...but, it's so easier to make wild generalizations and to assume that if you don't like it then it must be crap now, and all on the internet.

Seriously though, it's called a remote CONTROL for a reason.

11. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was just thinking about this. Usually I hear the complaints and feel they're uncalled for, but I must admit that this season, the timing seems lousy and the jokes are over done and forced. However, it seems Fox is gonna keep it as long as it makes a profit for them, which should be obvious, really. I guess the voice actors may want to retire as well.

12. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This. Even if it's not as funny as something else it must still be a pretty good cash cow for Fox. In this economy studios want the franchise, the sure thing, over gambling on something new. As long as it makes money and/or doesn't offend any group to the point of them asking for it to be taken off the air, it'll stay.

13. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Pretty much, still a big money maker believe it or not, though I can't believe people still tune in. The 90's Simpsons are still gold and I still go back to them frequently, but like others have stated I stopped watching 10-ish years ago.

14. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    No offense but Simspon should be over already. Its been a couple season that is not funny anymore. Probably 2 or 3 pre-movie already. :S

15. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    100 years. A world without Simpsons? I don't know, it's something of our daily life, I can't imagine a world without Simpsons and quoting episodes in the daily life!

16. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Remember that episode where Lisa looks into the future and she gets married to an English guy? The date for that wedding happened several months ago :lol 

17. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    They died about 8 years ago for me, then showed some life with the movie, and died again. They are trying to hard to be like Family Guy right now...

18. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I still watch it and laugh. If you don't like it, don't watch it. I can't stand Jersey Shore or Two and a Half Men yet I have no problem with them being on. I simply never watch them. Just because you no longer watch it why should it be taken off the air? Don't like the show anymore, don't watch. I still want to. To me it is better than half the stuff it airs with. I'm sick of people bitching "Oh Simpsons isn't funny to me anymore. They need to take it off the air.." You know what some people still like it. Simply stop watching and quit bitching about it still being on. Why do you care if they still make new episodes? Does it somehow ruin your classic episodes you remember? No.

19. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    This season seems quite a bit worse even for recent Simpsons episodes. It's sad that the Futurama psych opening was the only thing that made me laugh in some time.

20. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's ok to complain about something, there's no reason to spout off about "don't watch if you don't like it" because the same line of thinking can be applied to anything you don't need to live, and what fun would the internet be then? This thread was started with an honest question- how long can they last? The show has been on for 20 some odd years, and unlike SNL, it's had the SAME cast this whole time. That's a lot of commitment. As long as it's making money Fox will keep it on, but seriously the show has a handfull of voice actors that are pretty much recquired, and at anytime they could turn around and demand more money or retire, causing the show to have to end. I think that's the most volatile part of the show lasting longer weather you think it's funny or not. I have seen some good episodes in the past couple seasons, but this most current season is disspointing IMO for the reasons I've already mentioned.