How much is peace of mind worth to you?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by siniquezu, Jan 11, 2012.

1. siniquezu

siniquezu Well-Known Member

If there was a toy that you weren't sure if it was going to be available, how much would you be willing to pay in addition to have it preordered? $5? $10? $50? $100? 5% of the toy? 10% of the toy? 50%?

Keep in mind that this includes the peace of mind that a toy will increase in price. Meaning that this includes the expectation that a toy will not ever be released again. For example, people who are paying $100 for classics skywarp alone are paying about $85 over msrp for peace of mind that the toy will not increase in price. Their expectation is that the toy will not ever be released again in retail. What are your thoughts?

2. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I'd wait. Everything turns up eventually, I don't like tying money up in pre-orders either. Id rather have 2-3 big spending sprees at conventions every year and pick up bargains online than order everything full whack at pre-order and pay shipping.

I don't get it right every time, no-one does, this game is like stocks and shares, but I save a lot of money by not having to get something the day of release.

3. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    A pre-order should just be a token amount to secure whatever you are wanting on release, paying vast amounts is crazy IMO.

4. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hasbro: I wait. They'll always be available.

Third party: Hell no.

5. jru42287

jru42287 Where are my testicles, Summer?

News Credits:
    Honestly, I've found that waiting is the best thing. The stuff you want always seems to turn up. This belief was solidified for me last year, when I picked up Thundercracker, Warpath, and Wheeljack at full price because they were so hard to find, and because I had accidentally stumbled on them at a local Walmart. Six months down the line, they were everywhere, and you could get them cheap.

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Why should I have to pay extra to give someone money in advance that they can earn interest on or reinvest for months before I actually get my item? Fuck, making sure I get what I pay for as soon as its available should be the LEAST they can do for me.

7. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    Depends. I paid 25 flat for a RTS Lugnt from a local when they first hit Asian fetail and I havent looked back since. I usually try and guage demand and where it is in te wave before committing to peace of mind purchases.

8. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Someone buying a figure off the secondary market for an increased price is not paying for peace of mind that it will never be released again. It's supply and demand. Market prices. Figures can be repainted and released (hasbro figures like Rodimus) or just plain re-released (Takara-Henkei figures).

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    The idea that a toy will never be re-released is ridiculous. Unless it's explicitly stated a version is limited edition and will not be re-released, why shouldn't HasTak put out a popular figure so that more fans can get it and they can get more money? They have no commitment to their products appreciating in value.

10. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I think this nails it on the head pretty good. I'll always wait for Hasbro products, but 3rd party products I'm not willing to take a risk.

11. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    its all situation dependent.

There are certain hasbro bots that have a chance to be short packed and in decent demand? Then I preorder from BBTS until I can find one at retail, then I cancel. Best of both worlds.

Same thing for third party. Preorder it at BBTS, wait for reviews. If reviews are good and things aren't sold out order from cheaper source that have them available, cancel BBTS preorder.

Win win situation in most cases.

12. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Depends what it is. If I am looking for a whole wave of figures, I usually pre order them from BBTS because it usually costs me the same or sometimes a little less then finding them @ retail in Canada. Plus I don't have to go around all over the place looking for them.

13. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I paid ~$60 for United Frenzy/Rumble just to get them out of my system. I grew tired of waiting and wanted to spare myself the headache of pissing away time and gas while trying to find them. And even from what I've read, there's still no indication as to when (or if) their domestic counterparts will be released. I typically wait, but when there are question marks and a slow drip of info on a product, I just bite the bullet.

14. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Really depends if I have the urge to hunt or not. When Windcharger wasn't hitting the shelves here, I wasn't looking for anything else (and turns out he only hit the discounters a few months later). My Canadian cousin was able to get him for me (two of them) $10.99+ 10% tax + shipping put them at about $15 each in my hands. Right now I am in the market for Deluxe Soundwave, Q, and Leadfoot, as well as HA Soundwave. If I am able to knock out the deluxes, I would probably be willing to pay $60 for HA Soundwave or if it came down to needing Deluxe Soundwave and Q pay $30 each for them if they look like they are going to have poor distribution. I figure the time I would spend hunting them can be better spent. This would probably be different if I was collecting Prime figures.

15. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Usually, a preorder costs less if there's even a difference, so the premise is a bit weird. That said, there is no peace of mind, only hedging one's bets. Hedging my bets is not worth very much to me.

16. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    THIS
    i got superion parts from fp for $45 shipped, and now they are double
    warbot was around 70 shipped, and hes gone up, shadow commander was 100 [nem prime + armor]

17. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

FP Springer fell on my lap for $70 shipped last year.

18. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    for domestic releases I will wait the UK of late has been doing ok for the rarer items. as for reproducing rare item sure Hasbro didnt sign a contract with collectors and its money in the bank is demand can be justified

Takara stuff well I pay a premium as it is when I import from 3rd parties so I'd say I'm paying for peace of mind as it is.

19. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    I'm willing to pay somewhere around a 10% premium in order to guarantee I get the specific figures I want. Part of that though is most US based online stores charge close to (and sometimes less) the Canadian retail price for preorders. So assuming I can have a number of items shipped at once, then the only premium I'm paying is shipping costs.

So basicly, I'm willing to preorder almost any figure in order to guarantee getting that figure. However I do usually only preorder my most desired figures or what I assume to be a high-demand figure that I think will be hard to find at local retail.