How Much Free Memory Should I Keep On My Computer?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Optimus1986, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 and I have 8.28 GB of 101 GB free memory left. Is there a recommended amount of memory to keep free on a computer? Or does it matter so long as I have some free space available?

2. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

depends on what you plan on doing and what you want to do. that more than enough.

I only have ~1gb (yup its a old comp) and im able to play WoW and what not (just not at the highest setting)

3. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

[​IMG]

Don't ask me.

Note: That's actually an old pic from when I was using an old drive to backup stuff, I would never leave it like that. I actually don't know how much is recommended, but I don't think i'd keep a HD maxed.

4. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i think your right, i think he's actually asking about HDD space and not memory. i was answering it as it was memory. Didnt fully read this post.

with that being the case, i usually keep 20gbs free for my C Drive (this drive is just my Operating System) and at least 10gbs free for my other drives (and my App Drive having 50-75gbs free).

There's no real amount, its based on what you plan to install and what not in the future...

bottom line, you'll need at least 500mb always free (due to logs being written, caches, etc)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  5. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

^Yeah, meant HDD. Sorry about that. My iTunes is eating up a lot of my HD space and I don't play games or anything.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. A lot.

6. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Honestly bro: I'd say it's time for a newer HDD. If you've got 8gb left outta 100, obviously you do your fair share of making/downloading files and installing programs, and I'm guessing that's going to continue. You don't want it to get to the point where you've got so much crammed on one HDD that it's effecting your OS performance.

It's not even as much about space, as it is about security. Personally, I **ALWAYS** keep my windows/program files on one HDD, and my files for another. It's just because you honestly never know what'll happen with Windows or prgrams no matter how secure you are, and you never wanna' be in a situation where you're losing files because of windows errors that leave to reformatting. BEcause, from my experience, programs are always easy to recover, but files that you've built up over the years are.