How much does Transformers permiate your life?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by DeathStorm, Nov 21, 2008.

1. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    I bring this topic up because my friends think I'm scary (the movie "40 Year-Old Virgin" is mentioned quite a bit) - and all I collect is G1. I have a few Animated and Movie toys at work but they never see those (and there's only a handful anyway). I also have the G1 series on DVD and both the live and animated movies.

That's it. A total of about 150 figures and some DVDs. In comparison to some I consider myself (for lack of a better word) an "amateur". My friends just don't get this. I'm wondering how much Transformers are a part of your life. Do you buy every single toy? Do you watch TF DVDs all the time? Do you constantly hunt for new TF videos online?

I'm just wanting to provide some perspective so my friends undestand the levels that some collectors go to.

2. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    I have calmed down a LOT.

I used to have to have everything asap, buying stuff early from China, etc.

I spent a fortune to complete my G1 collection, now that that is done, I don't browse ebay randomly, because it seems like I will always see something nice, and I'd rather not have the temptation now.

So, now, I try to only get the figs I really want, and I don't drive all over endlessly wasting gas every time I have a day off. I now will use HTS as much as possible, to save money on gas, and there is almost always a code for discounts.

I also have learned to "skip" things as necessary. I don't buy just to say I have something, or "I have ALL of them" I try to think about it first.

Where as, not so long ago, I was of the mind "gotta have them all" Which, for me, would have led to serious financial problems. Especially now that I collect GI Joe as much as TF.

The lesson I learned was "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have"

3. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Show them the collection thread. There are some dudes with thousands and thousands of figures.

4. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I have most of the cartoon series (only missing Armada Part 2, Energon, Cybertron, and RID). I rarely watch them except for when I'm sick. I never hunt for the videos either.

I only buy the figures I like, but for awhile I was getting in the habit of buying two of those figures. I cut that shit out though.

Though, I leave my plastic crack addiction at home unless I'm at WM, TRU, or Target.

I can understand why people would think its ridiculous sometimes...cause frankly it is.

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I collect Decepticons exclusively - only those I like, mind you. The only TF shows I have on DVD are TFTM and the entire Masterforce series. As for comics, I've got the entire Dreamwave run, some Marvel UK issues and a few of the latest Titan stuff.

6. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    I always tell them that my shelf full of toys is nothing compared to ROOMS full.

7. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

I have about 5 shelves full of TF stuff, not counting the few movies I have of them. As crazy as I am about TFs, some people make me look like and amatuer too. It's those completionists, and I don't know how they do it.

8. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I collect only G1, have Tf messedge tone on my phone, own the cartoon dvd and the live action movie. I dork around with Tf sometimes but all ppl are cool with it. Soma shake their head when I buy a new one for a couple of 100$.

Its all good.

9. LEADERS_MATRIX

LEADERS_MATRIX Wisdom of the ages...

I let up alot, I had to sale off alot of my collection, inclueding my G1 Gasults, I have nothing compared to some of these guys.
    I tell the people that laugh at me atlest I'm not a drugy and spinding the money on that or something like that , I have a bad enough time with my plastic crack.

10. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ditto I don't even collect G1 anymore Because I spend to much money so I've learned to love universe and classics.

11. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:
    my apartment looks like a TRU toy isle got sad and blew it's self up in a bomb blast..i have shelves of TF's..TF's on the stereo cabinet, the TV, the microwave...in my bedroom...

They are not in the kitchen or bathroom...that is the line drawn in the dirt...but i am going to be going thru the containers of them and start purging a large amount over the next several months via my sale thread......

12. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    Well the only places I have TF's or any other toys is in my room. Not at work or anything else. I love G.1 and I wish I'd collect them more, however they're just all become way too expensive for my liking - I reached a point where there can be too high a price put onto "nostalgia", therefire I like some of they never stuff that reminds me of the "nostalgia" is doesn't cost me an arm or a leg. I only have G.1 series and the movies on DVD and a couple of the old comics. All the newer comics and the IDW doesn't say me anything.
    My parents and my brother knows I'm collecting and they never mention it - they think it's ok. Not many people know about my "hobby", but it's not because it won't tell about it, but noone ever asks if I have a hobby.

13. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Maybe they're secretly harboring jealousy that you have the guts to go against the grain and hang onto a part of your past that gives you enjoyment. What do they have? Any actual hobbies (drinking doesn't count :lol )? Is there anything in their lives beyond work, partying, and women?

Its no different than 60 year old men having train collections or older women with tons of teddy bears - they enjoyed them in their youth, and kept on enjoying them.

--Moony

14. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Permiate? No dominate, contaminate, a true joy, a passion. Almost a way of life. I wouldn't have it any other way. :D 

Yikes! I've within a decade!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  15. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Actually, it probably would have been more accurate for me to say 'our grandfathers and grandmothers' 'cause I didn't remember that many of us are going to be drawing close to that in ten years or so...

And I feel about it the same way you do. :) 

--Moony

16. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Well, I like every toy line, and I get what looks good to me. I watch every episode of the Unicron Trilogy and Animated, and I suppose I'm really odd.

For example, when my brother was feeding the dog, he said "Want some kibble?" and I laughed myself off the chair.
    :rolleyes2 

My friends look to me for anything Transformers.

Whenever I'm in a Target, I give old people and parents advice on Transformers.

I just asked my brother if I was scary, and he said "Not in a good way. I think I should call the police."

I spend several hours on TFwiki each day.

My friends use me to win Transformers arguments, like "Is Ratchet yellow or green?" Failing to mention it's MOVIE Ratchet, and even THAT is sad.

That's just the tip of the iceberg.

Your friends should be grateful you're not me.

TELL THEM TO BE GRATEFUL!!!

17. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

One thing I've learned over time is to resist the desire for new figures based solely on their 'newness', which can lead to a lot of impulse buys.

I probably have too many TFs, I feel sort of sorry for people who collect multiple things (aka the Joe, SW, TF trifecta). I am trying to collect all of NA G1 but not there yet. I pick and choose from everything else, I steered clear of Armada and Energon for the most part as I was mainly just into G1 then but have bought more of the more recent lines. I really do love classics though (except for some quality issues, designs are imo awesome).

18. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I have a room full of plastic crack (TFs) but I'm an artist I'm allowed to be different.

Thanx
    Transbot90210

p.s. as for collecting toys=40 year old virgin....not true

19. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Mine's limited to the occasional toy purchase or trade since I've learned to love loose toys since they tend to be cheaper. Still, I have well over 300 TFs... however, I have been scaling my collection back gradually over the last few years and have become increasingly more selective about which ones I buy or trade for. I'm definitely not a completist, and I don't go toy hunting nearly as much as I used to between Cybertron and TFA releases.

I do have quite a few TF tshirts (a couple dozen or so, actually), but it's not like I wear them all the time. Maybe once a week or every other week -- something I throw on to go to the store or something. And I have a few really nice (and fairly expensive ones) I've gotten from Stylin' Online or Hot Topic that I wear only at cons.

I don't watch the DVDs very often at all -- just when I feel nostalgic pangs, and it's usually the animated movie I pop in more than the G1 series just to watch specific scenes. I have watched a few eps of Animated repeatedly in the last year, looking for subtle little easter eggy type things I might have missed the first time, or because they were just plain awesome like the S2 finale.

As for hunting for new TF videos online -- you mean like newer ones, or fan projects? Either way, rarely. I wait for someone to recommend something interesting in the video forum here. Although I do check YouTube regularly to see if there are newer videos featuring members of the TF voice casts.

20. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    The way my wife puts it, I could be addicted to drugs, having affairs, or worse, drinking my liver into an early grave.

But instead, I'm just addicted to that sweet, sweet plastic crack.

What I have is what I've had as a kid or purchased over the years. It's not a lot by a lot of standards, but its what I value.

And if what you have is what you value, then it makes you a person with character.