How much are reissues worth?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by rid, Dec 25, 2006.

1. rid

rid Well-Known Member

Hi,

I missed out on the reissues that came out a while back and was thinking of spoiling myself by buying them now (maybe in bulk). But I have no idea what a good price for them is.

So my questions are:

1. In terms of transformations, are reissues identical to their G1 counterparts (with minor details/changes to accessories due to safety laws and so on)?
    2. Is there any difference between Hasbro and Japanese reissues?
    3. how much should I expect to pay for each:
        a. Hasbro reissue MISB?
        b. Hasbro reissue MIB?
        c. Japanese reissue MISB?
        d. Japanese reissue MIB?

I know there's no one price that would cover all of them but if you could get me started with some prices, it'd be great.

thx

2. uzi_the_klown

uzi_the_klown Well-Known Member

lol u could buy all the tfcs for 1000-1500 not sure bout the rest thu

3. rid

rid Well-Known Member

There's, what, 20 of them. So you're saying they are averaging $50-$75 each? Sounds rather expensive to me!

4. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

TFC = Transformer Collection. TFC is a series of Japanese reissued G1 TFs that came in "bookstyle" boxes similar to the Hasbro reissues (meaning that they had a front flap that opened up so you could see the TF through a clear plastic window. The TFC series also came with pages that could be assembled into one big informational "encyclopedia" of sorts for TF toys. Pretty neato.

Check it:

http://www.pbase.com/julienc/tfc

5. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Prices vary greatly depending on the character and whether or not it was a Jap only reissue - your best bet is to search ebay completed listings. If you plan on opening them, go with MIB

Also, as far as I know most if not all the Japanese ones were exact copies with no changes to accessories. They used original molds when possible (Soundwave was made using Soundblasters mold I believe - there may be more, not positive)

American ones - used original molds BUT some were the same as original, some different. Some weapons were cast black instead of chrome. Starscream and the seekers (except Dirge) had enlongated missiles due to toy laws, etc

I got mine when they came out. I got almost all the Takara ones, especially if Hasbro didn't reissue them and vise-versa. for some of the reissues it was much more cost-effective to get a Hasbro re-issue and then get original accessories to have a more "true-to the original" toy because some reissues like the seekers were released as "limited" and not in the TFC book-style reissues (transformers collection) there was #9 Anime Starscream, but that's it. so those early reissues of seekers and such fetch huge prices on ebay. your best bet is to get Hasbro ones and try to get original launchers and missiles and such

good luck.

6. uzi_the_klown

uzi_the_klown Well-Known Member

if ur going for tfc megs soundwave optimus sound blaster starscream mini bots are there the hardest 1s to getthe run over a 100 - 200 depnds who it is

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Soundwave was made using Soundwave's mold. there is a semi-rare early variation of G1 Soundwave with the exposed hinge.

8. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Hmm, I never knew that. I just remember something about the original mold not being useable, and someone back when said that it was SB's mold.

Thanks for that info!

9. Corbet

Corbet Wanderer

Yes, many of them are pretty rare. I'm actually trying to complete my TFC but it is becoming very hard. On average the common ones run you about $35. The following are much harder to get for some reason:

#0 Prime - $150+ on average
    #1 Jazz - $60+ on average
    #6 Megatron - $125+ on average, said to be re-produced very soon.
    #9 Starscream - $80+ on average
    #12 Minibot - $80+ on average
    Soundwave
    Soundblast (yay I have this one!)

And if I were you I'd pick up the insecticons. I really think their price will skyrocket in the near future.

EDIT: I must say, prices flucuate very easily and just take your time and don't waste a bunch of money because you want them now now now. I've seen Starscream go for $100+ then a few days later drop to $65.

10. GavynN.X.

GavynN.X. I want AM thundercracker

Question: Will the movie have any effect on the price of reissues? If so, I will start hoarding all the Infernos nobody seems to want now...

11. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Seriously, its hard to predict but I would think prices would increase BUT by how much for the lesser characters like Inferno, I wouldn't know.

12. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

That's been a big question since the movie was announced. Not sure how it will all pan out. There's a somewhat recent thread around here on that very topic.

How much are you seeing the Infernos go for? I recall getting a couple Infernos and Grapples at TRU for less than $5 a while back.

13. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah I got some hella cheap TRU reissues... something like 60 bucks for like 10 of them (Thundercracker, Skywarp, Inferno, Hoist, Smokescreen, Skids, Yellow Inferno, Dirge and somebody else...)

14. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think if the movie succeeds, the prices will go up. If the movie fails, then the public's interest in TFs might go down some and the price will stay reasonable.

I never got the mini-bots but I just can't justify paying that much for minibots....
    I thought Star Convoy or whoever he is also, but since I never knew who he was, I can take or leave him. Also the Laser Prime I skipped.

All of my reissued Bots are Hasbro except for he ones that came out after the line stopped. My Cons are all Takara except the seekers. I have both Astrotrains. I just want Thrust & Ramjet!! And the rest of the cars!

15. Corbet

Corbet Wanderer

I wish I had gotten doubles or even tripples of the severly discounted USA G1 Reissues.d All mine are Loose, stickers applied, but I think the boxes are packed away somewhere.