How much are reissue TF boxes worth?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Dracomancer, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Dracomancer

Dracomancer Well-Known Member

Vintage G1 TF boxes seem to sell for quite a bit. I'm just wondering how much modern reissue/collector G1 boxes are worth in general. Any input is appreciated.

2. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Modern figures/re-issues aren't worth that much from what I know. Mostly because the modern toys are still fairly easy to require MISB. Older G1 toys don't have that luxury which is why good boxes can command pretty good prices.

3. Dracomancer

Yeah, I get that. Still, they're worth something to some; just trying to figure out what that something might be. My best guess is between 5% and 10% the value of the toy inside. Does that sound off?

4. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I dont know why anyone would want a re-issue box I guess you could sell them for like 50p.

5. Dracomancer

I find the desire for any empty boxes a bit odd, but there are some who want them, even the new ones. Someone has shown interest in some of mine.

What's 50p?

6. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    UK currency its about 80c give or take

7. swbruni

swbruni Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    $5.00 shipped. or around that

8. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I can't imagine a box being worth much. However, if you can repackage the toy that's suppose to be inside, it might double the value of that loose figure.

9. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    I would not expect reissue boxes to be worth much of anything.

The G1 boxes have value because nobody saved them, hence are rare.

Reissues were bought almost exclusively by collectors, who've likely kept the packaging, if not the whole thing MIB. Not only are there a good number out there, but your potential market (collectors) have a decent chance of already having it or would be more interested in the whole product.

10. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Takara book-style ones "The Transformers Collection" seemed to sell quite well when a few sellers put them on ebay uk about 18 months ago - perhaps down to the inherent coolness of the packaging, and the catalogue/booklet that accompanies each release. Anywhere between £3 - £10 depending on character.

Encore, or any of the Hasbro reissues - nah. Not much at all.

11. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What ever someone is willing to pay for one. I feel the book style probably are more sought after for the fact that they do slip into a bookshelf easily. If you're talking with all the insides as well.

12. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    That depends on how reasonable you are with shipping. If you're one of those flat-rate jerks or insist upon making the shipping box heavy, you won't get any interest.

Most modern boxes are saved by collectors. There isn't a strong market, and you kill any "profit" you're going to get if shipping is too high. Think about it, would you rather buy a box for a figure that you already have or a new deluxe? Unless it's something desirable (MP Grimlock is the only modern US release box that I can think of that's worth something, but with how easily destroyed it was...), there's no money to be had.

13. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    Might not count since it's not a reissue but the highest demand for a modern box that I know of was the G1 style box that Takara Galaxy Force Primus came in.