Customs: how much acetone to add to RIT dye batch??

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by ZedzDead, May 5, 2007.

1. ZedzDead

ZedzDead decepticon sabatour

Ebay:
    for every packet of RIT dye, how much acetone should be mixed into the batch?
    it doesnt give a measurement anywhere in any faqs.
    my project - 2 energon divebombs
    i want to dye one red and one black or maybe bronze for buzzsaw.
    and should i remove any factory paint beforehand?
    thanx in advance as this is a project i've tried b4 w/ krylon fusion, and the end results were less than impressive to say the least.
    and also, does the dye soak into the plastic, or just coat it? i dont want any rub offs.
    zedzdead

2. Soundwarp

Soundwarp Next victim please TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd just add 1/5 of a nail polish bottle.
    Or 3 - 4 cap fulls.

3. ZedzDead

ZedzDead decepticon sabatour

Ebay:
    so basically, a plastic coke bottle top full? cool, thanx. i appreciate the help. now if only i knew how to dis assemble the wings on divebomb i'll be set.
    zedz

4. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

Everyone seems to have their own amount to add. 3 or 4 capfuls should work but the more liquid you have then the more acetone. You can always add more later, if the dye is not taking, and the longer you have the parts in the dye, the darker they become.

If your going to be dying any classics characters, in the future, your in for a rough time. The classics are notorious for not taking dye and/or different parts taking some, better than others.

The dye soaks in to the outer layer so do any cutting of parts before you dye and if you have any superglue on the surface, it will not take the dye. I like dying the ball joints. I haven't had any rub off yet but if there are any rough surfaces or edges, it could eventually rub off.

Remove any paint or the dye will not soak into the plastic and the paint will usually be visable but at a slightly different color.

Don't let your parts sit still on the bottom of your pan. I prefer to dip my parts with a strainer spoon. Less chance of warping.
    The transparent plastic (wings/weapons) will not take the dye.
    Good luck

Edit: You can dye the parts assembled but then you will have to move any touching parts and redye. But this will darken the previously dyed parts. I added this incase your dissassembling the wings because of the transparent parts. They will not be affected. You can move the foot back and forth while dipping to get dye to all areas.

5. Soundwarp

Soundwarp Next victim please TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Very very important. Say you have a litre of water what i said would be fine but if you have 3 - 4 litres as i do at times i add up to half the bottle.
    You can see if the dye is taking or not and if it's not as much as you would like you can allways add more dye and more acetone.
    It's really a little trial and error till you get it :D