How Many Where Manufactured?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by lazerface, Sep 12, 2012.

1. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is there any public record showing how many of each toy Hasbro/Takara has manufactured?

It would be really interesting to see, specifically for G1.

2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

We're talking like, six digits for the majority of them. I'm not sure what the production numbers would be for flukes that later got cannonized like Red Bumblebee (not Cliffjumper, because CJ was a retool) or Bumper.

3. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm sure things like Optimus Prime are much more than something like Skywarp.

I wonder if it would affect after-market prices if this information was made public.

To be honest though, I could see how something like this would be hard to keep track of, between Hasbro, Takara, and however many factories they had.

4. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

Not really it seems like they would know the exact amount every figure has a batch and id # somewhere on the box or figure.

5. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Hasbro probably have a record of it somewhere I'm sure.

6. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    I'd like to know the production numbers for some Japanese G1 toys like Liokaiser.

7. puma

puma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Probably locked in a filing cabinet covered in dust and with no idea where the key went.

8. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Once and Future Slicer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't know about most toylines, but the Prime Cyberverse seem to have an identifier number stamped on them. I've been wondering if that number is mold specific or somehow measures how many were produced.

9. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    If anything Hasbro must have records of what they ordered from what factory in China, sales invoices, shipping manifests or whatever.

But yeah, they're probably locked up in some accountants filing cabinet in their head office. I'd actually really like to know those figures, for GIJoe and 80's MOTU as well.

I'd really like to know also if Troop builder figures (ie, Cobra troops) actually sell more.

10. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They have top men working on it now.
    Top....men

11. alanyap

alanyap Will work for LEGO

If Hasbro can (claimed) to losing toy moulds , I believe manufacturing stats can be easily misplaced by them.

12. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

This is why we have lockpicks.

If they do, then it makes me wonder how they could have lost several old G1 molds like Mirage and Wheeljack.

:lol 

13. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They absolutely know. Anyone who has dealt with manufacturing of any kind knows that there is a record of each & every order because each order requires a specific quantity, where all under or over runs are also accounted for. Losing molds or whatever else over the years has no baring on records kept by the customer (HasTak) and the manufacturing plants producing the product.

14. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    Well this is only partly true. Yes the numbers were recorded. Those numbers are used to determine failure/return rate, and all sorts of other things we really don't care about. BUT the problem is that they aren't kept forever. At my last company, they kept the old data up in storage in probaby 100 boxes. And those boxes were only 12 years old. The company was around for 30+ years. They only keep it as long as they need to and then get rid of it.

Does that mean all companies are like this? Probably not. But I would bet heavily on the possibility that those exact numbers from figures produced in the 80s are long gone. It is possible that someone may have kept something. I mean I still have old paperwork floating around that I had from jobs 10 years ago, but that doesn't mean I know where it is. There is also the possibility of that data still being around if it were put into a computer system back then.

15. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^ Yeah, I'm not saying they necessarily still have the numbers - I was just pointing out that any company who manufactures anything knows exactly what the final count is/was when they place the order and when the order is fulfilled. There is no "somewhere around this many" as someone else sort of suggested.

16. Skywarp SCS

Skywarp SCS AKA "Pretender Skywarp"

I've always found it interesting that they don't announce production numbers.

I *think* it came up in one of those online Hasbro Q&A sessions, where hey basically said they don't release them in line with thier competitors. The thing is movies, music, books etc all shout from the rooftops about it.

Picking on silly figures as an example, surely Hasbro would want to say;

"We've sold 100 copies of fall of Cybertron and 87 FOC Deluxes, resulting in an 87% customer attach rate", or similar.

Basic, but hopefully you see my point.

17. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    "A simple solution then... break the locks!"