How many transformers are there?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Lumpy, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    has anyone put together a comprehensive list of every original mold thats every been used in transformers? maybe theres a list by series? then what about remolds and repaints...basically im curious to know what the population of cybertron would be if every toy lived there....

2. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Using my masterlist from my archive, I come up with 1510 US Transformers. (that covers every TF from '84 thru the end of this year that is suppose to be released)

3. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Wow, 1510? And those are just what came out in the US? Yikes! Suddenly my 800 or so seems so much larger.

4. Lumpy

News Credits:
    really, thats it? thats not counting each minicon is it....or any other split groupings....i need to recount and see how many i have cuz i coulda sworn i was well over 1200, but if theres only 1500 i may not be right...but i was also counting minicons individually, and also have a ton of japanese and KOs....

5. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    1510 sounds like a low number. What masterlist are you using? Just curious.

6. Hiro Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My Archival masterlist contains a listing for each and every TF made for the US. It covers every named TF including Mini-cons, Combiner Super robots, individual characters packaged together in sets, (ie. Dreadwing w/Smokescreen) and reissued toys.

It does not include Citybot's worker buddies, (or Rollers) Go-Bots, (or any other playschool TF's) Nebulons, Action Master Partners, Liscensed TF lines, (like Animorphs or Star Wars) or Variations or the same toy. (like metal or plastic G1 Predacons) I do not count KO's either. Only official toys.

This is the same list that I've used for my Cybertronians and has been checked over by a number of people in the fandom including Tony Preto and Doug Dlin.

7. Lumpy

News Credits:
    dude, can you post that for us?

8. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    YS RLY? I would like to see a list like that, see how much I've knocked out so far...
    DN

9. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hiro are you working on a Japanese release list?

10. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

If you could post this master list that would be great. 1510 is a large number but it does make the toy line number seem awfully low for have going so many years.

11. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

1510 seems like about the right number, though that means I only have about 1/3 of the US Transformers released.

12. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's about 68 toys per year since '84.

I'm a bit over 20% of the way there. =/

13. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My rough total was a bit over 1000 but that only counted mini con teams as 1 and didn't count minicon partners nor individual micromasters. So Ill believe Hiro Prime's number. The only part I don't agree with, is counting the combined robots, when it comes to counting toys. Characters yes.

14. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

That number seems really low to me, but I dont know. I usually just follow the lists on bigbot. I've never actually counted them, though.

15. Hiro Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am currently working on a easy to read, printable, version of my masterlist and I will be offering it to 2005 when it's done. (which I hope will be soon) I'm about half way thru the list in it's new format and it already takes up 20 pages.

I plan on doing a Japanese list next, followed by a European list.

Each bot on the list is numbered so as to make it easy to answer little questions like how many TF's were there in a series? (or year when multiple series were offered)

For an example... There were 28 Transformers characters released in the first year of G1. But, there were 31 toys sold. The three that make up the difference would be the Yellow Cliffjumper, Red Bumblebee and Bumper. (aka Bumblejumper)

I include Bumper on my masterlist because it was sold on Bumblebee and Cliffjumper cards despite not being officially offered as a character to the US market. And since Bumblebee & Cliffjumper's colors were swaped midway through production, both versions will be listed. (much as yellow and orange Constructicons would be in G2)

Now I know I stated earlier that the list would not contain varients and I stay true to that rule for the most part, I just don't consider a repaint to be a varient as like rubber or plastic tires on Rodimus Prime.

And while we have had a large number of toys offered the past few years, keep in mind that the entire 5 years of Beast Wars only gave us 109 toys. (121 if you count Machine Wars' 12 toys)

16. Hiro Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Everyone is free to count whatever they want, MM. I'm not going to force my opinions down anyone's throat and say that my list is the best list. I didn't do that with my books, I'm not gonna do that with a list.

Some fans only count the packaging. Meaning a set 3 mini-cons count as one. If asked tho, I will give reasons as to why I listed somethings the way I did.

As for my take on Combined robots, (as it was brought up) some were sold only as a set, (Magna Boss, Slamdance) others were sold only as individual components, (Pretender Monsters) and then some were sold both ways. (G1 Constructicons) The only ones I don't include are most of Energon's combining Autobots like Hot Shot and Inferno since they don't really form a new character, just a powered up version of one or the other. (Mega Dinobot being an exception to that rule since it was sold as the two becoming just one character since they can't switch places like the other Energon Deluxes can)

17. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

You are my hero! ;) 

18. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

approximately 1,000,000,000 billion...couldn't think of anything wittier than that...and I didn't even think of it...

19. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have been building an Excel spreadsheet over the past six years that contains everything ever released under the Transformer and Brave monikers. Every minicon/partner is accounted for separately, and I've built some cool sorting macros that let me organize in a variety of ways. FWIW, the number I have is 2920, but that includes a lot of stuff some people might choose not to, including all of the following:

Alternators, Animorphs, Armada, Attacktix, Battle Beasts, Battlestars, Beast Machines, Beast Wars (+TM&TM2), Beast Wars Anniversary, Beast Wars II, Beast Wars Metals, Beast Wars Neo, Beast Wars Returns, Binaltech, Botcon Exclusives, Brave DX, Brave STD, Built To Rule, Car Robots, Classics, Comm. Series (Hasbro), Cybertron, Diaclone, Eldran, Energon, Galaxy Force, G1 (American), G1 (Japanese), G2 (American), G2 (Euro), G2 (Japanese), Hard Hero, Kiss Player, Lucky Draw, Machine Wars, Masterforce, Masterpiece, Micron Legend, MyClone, Operation Combination, Palisades, Playskool, Robotmasters, RiD, SCF PVCS (+Megas), Smallest TFs, Star Wars TFs, Superlink, THS, TFC Bookstyle Reissues, Titanium, Tonka, Universe, Victory, Webdiver

I've also wanted to share this with folks, but since much of it has been culled/compiled from dozens of sources, I'm afraid of getting hammered by the "You Didn't Give Me Credit For That" contingent. Regardless, I think everybody ought to do one - I've had a ton of fun working on it and keeping it up to date over the years.

Here's what it looks like:
    [​IMG]

20. Slappytron

Slappytron Peace through Slapping

A spreadsheet does sound like a fun project, if you have the time to do it. TFarchive has a nice checklist, but it doesn't cover all the older lines. I'm surprised TFU.info doesn't have something like this in list format.

Both numbers sound reasonable given the parameters each of you have set. Still, it's less than I would have imagined and some folks on here have collections many times those numbers.