How many times does an average person say the Phrase "You Know"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scourge, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Scourge

Scourge I shall rise again

I dont know about you folks but here in houston i listen to a morning show called Walton & Johnson and they are very strick on how many times a person says "You Know" while on the phone with them. So pay atention(sp) and do a mental count on how many times someone utters this phrase. I think you would be surprised.

2. Master Megatron

Master Megatron Action Bastard

The number of times a person says 'uh' or 'um' can also be surprising if you count it. BTW, nice cat (sig).

3. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

News Credits:
    I don't know, yaknowhatimsaying, i mean, sure, but yaknowwhatimsaying, its just that, um, i mean, yaknowhatimsaying?

4. Edgewise

Edgewise Fanner

News Credits:
    In high school(circa ~1992-3-ish) I noticed a little article in the newspaper about how many times various talk show hosts said "uh" or "um".... IIRC ... Letterman was the lowest with like a bit over 1 per minute while Pat Sajak(he had a show) was almost 10 per minute. Listening to someone say "um" every 6 seconds for an hour might be a clue for why it was "had" a show.

Anyway, I remember this so much because it nicely coincided with giving speeches in english class so my friends and I kept a tally of how many times each person in the class said "um" or "uh". It's kinda fun, just don't let the whole class know you're doing it.

5. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I had a history class once where the teacher read basically from the book and would say uh or um a lot. I counted once with a little tick sheet. I lost count around 120 or so. Now this was only a 45 minute class too!

Also one night someone had a pocket electronic Prefection game in the row in front of mine. At one point it went off. The teacher looks up and goes "Does someone need to turn off their cell phone?" :lol  She was oblivious.

6. Mr. Jiggles

Mr. Jiggles loves your mother.

This dumb ass blonde freshman with fake tits was showing out in class today. She kept talking real loud and saying stupid shit, with 'like' as every other word. "So, I, like, had three shots of vodka, and like, four beers, and like, tequila, and I was, like, so sick. I thought I was gonna, like, puke my guts up."

I knew I shouldn't have skipped so many core classes back in the day.

I wanted to cut her.

Badly.

7. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

The word 'huh' seems to be popular here. Even though they heard it, they just need time to process. So saying'huh' is like a delay word for 'give me time to think'

You know

8. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I'm self conscious about how many times I use fillers such as "um" "uh" and others.

Four years of having that pounded into my head for a Communciation degree helped get rid of that habit.

9. Streck

Streck QED Veteran

Understand, folks, that this is all code for "I wanted to pork the shit out of her."

10. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    i dont think I ever say 'you know' or 'um' or 'eh'

maybe once in a while

11. Jesus

Jesus Destroyer of Scudsy

"uh" and "um" are basically generic grunts and you really don't notice it unless it's highly above average. Grunts are manly and good for the digestive system. JESUS BE GONE!

Anyways, I don't really hear "you know" too much with the exception of giving directions. "Like" is one I don't hear too much either, but it's by far the worst of them when the occasional girl overuses it.

12. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Because if he meant anything other than "I wanted to pork the shit out of her," then Jiggles clearly doesn't have a penis.

13. Streck

Streck QED Veteran

Quite right.

14. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    I use the phrase "you know" only when setting someone up for a good dousing of scathing wit.

Which is, you know .... all the freakin' time.

15. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

I've known a few people who used "you know" way too much, but "like" is one I hear a lot here. Am I the only one who wants to respond to someone saying "That was like the best movie ever" with "So it was really the worst movie, but it was like the best one right?"? That or any time they overuse "like".

16. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I know personally, I say "dude" waaay too much. I'm almost Lenny Dykstra bad.

17. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have a friend who ends almost every sentence with "right there." It's too funny...

18. Starscream22

Starscream22 Finish the Fight 07

The people i hear 'you know' from the most is football(soccer to most), like after a match there always saying, yeah you know we tried our bests. Even before games there like that, me and my dad count how many times they say it. We got 24 out of someone over 2 mins lolz