How many times do you pass on a toy just to buy the repaint?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bass X0, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I passed on Universe Silverbolt just to get the far more appealing Darkwind repaint.

I also passed on movie Bonecrusher to get the more interesting Jungle Bonecrusher, and I also bought the FAB Smokescreen and Ramjet because I didn't like how dull the Jazz and Starscream originals were.

A good color scheme really does wonders for a toy.

2. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    it depends some times I've gone "good design shame about the colours" and waited for the repaint only for it to never happen.

But I did miss out on Classics AstroTrain and almost got him imported but I thought I'd wait to see what the Henkai toy was like and IMO it paid off

3. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

Only when it's needed to keep my Autobots and Decepticons even. Otherwise, it's always the first deco of a mold.

4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    I passed on Universe Prowl and Silverstreak just for Smokescreen (best deco of the three)

I also passed on Silverbolt not because of color but because of how crappy the character fit the mold, but the Darkwind repaint was a pleasant surprise since it's fits the Con MUCH better than the Autobot.

5. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I don't care for repaints. The only time I ever buy repaints are when it's my first time getting the mold, such as when I got the Springer vs Ratbat 2-pack...I had never owned either mold (or anything from Cybertron as I got back into collecting after that line had ended) so I picked that up.

6. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Never. Simply because by the time the regulars are released, there is no sight or word of the repaint yet. Most of the time I prefer the original over a repaint anyway (I do have alot of movie repaints because I needed plastic crack and there was a drought. :) )

edit: there's also no guarantee that a toy will recieve a repaint. I would feel bummed out if I'd wait for a repaint of a decent toy that never comes, then unable to find the original toy.

7. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Well yes but how often do you see a new mold get released but decide to pass on it and wait to see if it gets repainted?

You don't need to know if a repaint is going to happen. They usually do. There are several ROTF toys announced that I'm going to pass on in the hope of a repaint with a better looking color scheme.

8. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    It happens from time to time. Off the top of my head, I also passed on Silverbolt, passed on Uni 2.0 Prowl for Bluestreak, passed on Classics StarScream for Skywarp, and Uni 2.0 Powerglide for Stormcloud. Some molds may be good, but if the color scheme isn't decent then no. Same if theres multiple color schemes of the same mold that are good, then I buy 'em.

9. GenZhao

GenZhao Banned

News Credits:
    I dont think I ever pass on something to get the repaint, cause usually I dont know what the repaint is going to look like.

Sometimes I just dont buy an original cause I dont like it or dont care for it, but then I end up buying the repaint cause the scheme is much better.

Like Movie Wreckage I never bought, but the Bludgeon Wreckage repaint I have cause it looks way better in green IMO

Same with Movie Ironhide. I have the premium and ROTF versions, not the original or off road repaint

but ya, rarely do we know what a repaint is going to look like, so I dont think many people can honestly say that they actually intentionally pass on the first release in order to wait for a repaint... how could they know they want the repaint when they dont know what its going to look like (except for ROTF sideswipe, I suppose we Know they will do a red repaint, and prolly a blue one for tracks)

10. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I passed on Animated Shockwave to buy the purple repaint. Of course the $5 price tag helped a lot, or else I wouldn't have bought that either.
    I also passed on Energon Scorponok to but Dark Scorponok.
    And I passed on Takara MP 03 Starscream but bought the Hasbro repaint.
    Those are the only 3 times I can think of off the top of my head.

11. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I never pass for a repaint. If a repaint is good...or I NEED a new toy, I'll get it. I usually always want the original.

12. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I don't.

13. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Of course there will be repaints of alot of figures. But what if the mold you like DOESN'T get a repaint, or a very sucky one? I'm not sure about where you live, but where I live, by the time the repaints arrive the originals are long gone.

For example. I'd love a repaint of the Jet Twins from animated, but I'm pretty sure there are no plans for those.. :) 

14. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I passed on the Concept Camaro Bumblebee for Stealth Bumblebee (because it looks so much cooler) and I passed on Movie Prime for the Nightwatch version (due to price).

15. MrFX

MrFX Collecting never ends...

There are a few times that I do it. In a recent case (well, back in Dec) I passed on Anim Shockwave when I heard that there would be a Target Purple repaint. Of course, when I finally found the Target repaint early this month, it was so awesome, I decided that I needed the Anim Shockwave to represent Longarm. The purple doesn't work for his robot mode. Plus the $5 deal? Oh yeah, that made things very easy to decide.

16. MegaCepticon

MegaCepticon Well-Known Member

I wish I can pass on things, but the completist in me always win and I end up getting every single toy from a line including repaints, unless of course it's a rare/exclusive item where it's too expensive for me. I have all the universe/classics bots(except the botcon ones). I have every single Animated as of now and waiting for more. Going to complete Henkei next and then Masterpiece.

17. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Rarely, if I end up getting the repaint it means I probably missed the mold originally.