how many sweeps are there minus scourge?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by miasboytoy, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    Even though I've read that article it still made me "lol" as the kids say these days.

2. Molini

Molini spawn of a glitch

I digress. Thundercracker became scourge, but I am still on the side of Bombshell becoming Cyclonus. See link.

Cyclonus (G1) - Transformers Wiki

Either way, it doesn't matter really. IMO Galvatron, Cyclonus and Scourge are three entirely different characters with personalities that very much distinguish them from Megatron, Sywarp/Thundercracker and Bombshell.

3. ChrisW

ChrisW Well-Known Member

According to the storyboards, an uncolored seeker becomes Scourge while Bombshell becomes Cyclonus. According to the movie, Thundercracker becomes Scourge, Shrapnel and Kickback become Sweeps, and Bombshell and Skywarp become Cyclonus and his Armada (with Bombshell prominently in the foreground and Skywarp in the background). The next shot shows Cyclonus, Scourge, and 3 Sweeps.

According to my personal preference, Thundercracker becomes Cyclonus, Skywarp becomes Scourge, and the Insecticons become Sweeps. ;-)

4. Reflector Unit

Reflector Unit Cameracon

Same here. It doesn't seem right or just that Thundercracker gets to become a prominent figure in season three, while Skywarp gets to become a nameless grunt.

Of course, if it were up to me, the Insecticons would have been spared and the three Sweeps would have been made from the Reflector Trio. They weren't getting used anyway, and getting reformatted seems like the lesser evil compared to getting written out and forgotten.

5. Molini

Molini spawn of a glitch

Hah, it seems as if we really believe Thundercracker, Skywarp or even Bombshell as characters are of any real significance to the ultimate result.

I've been reading some eastern philosophy lately, and reformatting made me think a lot about reincarnation. There's an old story about a sparrow and a butterfly anthropomorphically discussing something to the effect of how bad it would suck to be a clam.

Basically the butterfly said he didn't remember what it was like to be a caterpillar, that he only focuses on being a butterfly, and that if he became a clam in a new life he would only know the life of a clam and not be able to compare it to his former butterfly self because he wouldn't remember. It would be like it never happend.

Lol, I know I've lost it when I can start making correlations between a benign occurrence in TF to something of actual philosophical significance.

6. CryoPrime

CryoPrime Cody A.

I just watched "Call of the Primitives" today and two Sweeps flew in adn said. "Sweeps 6 and 7 reporting." Just thought I'd point that out. So there are at least 7 of them.

7. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

as the kids say? you must mean "as everyone has been saying now for the past 10-15 years"

8. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I've ALWAYS beleived that Skywarp became Cyclonus and Thundercracker became Scourge. The Insecticon's had damaged clones tossed overboard that became Sweeps since they were still in the rest of the movie and Season 3.

9. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Haha.

Bombshell = Cyclonus.

You silly fools.

10. -Mainframe-

-Mainframe- Well-Known Member

The Insecticons being clones would work, if someone wanted to bring them back.

But, how would someone explain Skywarp and Thundercracker not being changed by Unicron?

Or.....Could someone just write a story that all the characters changed by Unicron were separated from their new identities. So, they could all be separate characters on their own.

11. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord, Botbot Collector

the Sweeps are like the nameless Seekers in the early days of G1, they appear when the writers called for Decepticons to get scrapped by the Autobots and they didn't want to sacrifice any name Decepticons. Kinda like the Cobra Troopers/ Dalek drones/ Cybermen/ BATS/ G2 Imperial Cybertronian Soldiers.

12. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Skywarp and Thundercracker are considered dead at that point. Remember that there were more Seekers then just the six well known ones. THe Insecticons were present after that scene in the movie and in Season 3 so it only makes sense that the clones were thrown out like garbage.

If I had the ability to change that scene I'd make it that Thundercracker and Skywarp became the Liutenants while Reflector became the Sweeps to avoid confusion.

13. Molini

Molini spawn of a glitch

No need to write a story...they ARE separate characters on their own, that's what I've been trying to say.

Who changed into who is fairly benign when you realize they look nothing like, sound nothing like and act nothing like their previous incarnations, which means they are entirely DIFFERENT characters.

14. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

eleventy billion and seventeeny five hundredths

15. -Mainframe-

-Mainframe- Well-Known Member

I know.

But, I was asking how someone would write a story to seperate them and still have all the characters in Transformers. Megatron, Galvatron and the rest.

16. Molini

Molini spawn of a glitch

it's called Transformers Animated...stay tuned.

17. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

YES. I mean, obviously we know what actually appeared onscreen, thanks to Youtube and the magic of home video. However, we also know that a generous portion of what we see happen onscreen in Transformers is entirely dismissible, or open to reinterpretation at best, because obviously we fans devote a lot more thought to this than the original writers or animators ever did.

That said, the Sweeps being the Insecticons, thus retaining their cloning abilities in order to become disposable redshirts for the Cons, happens to be one of my personal favourite bits of fanwank retcon canon. It just makes so much sense!

LOL! Elegantly quoted, my good man. :) 

I agree wholeheartedly. This is what it has always been in my heart of hearts since childhood.

Skywarp becomes Scourge, retaining his cruelty but also his lack of wit and bravery.

Thundercracker becomes Cyclonus, a devoted career soldier, with a conflicted sense of honour.

The Insecticons become irritating cannon fodder.

It writes itself! :) 

18. JazzIsBack

JazzIsBack Well-Known Member

What really amazes me is that Devastator stood up inside of Astrotrain

19. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    Depends on which timeline.

In the DW-verse, Scourge and the Sweeps - or at least earlier versions of them - were forged by Unicron millennia ago, and spread across the galaxy in search of Cybertron.

Personally, I like the idea that new Sweeps can be 'cloned', but at a more reduced rate than the Insecticons (not least because of the more intricate systems within the Unicron-forged TFs compared to others hinted at in the likes of the DW G1-verse) - so they can replenish their numbers, but as a last resort.

Oh, do any of you come up with ways to distinguish Sweeps in your take on things?

For my own part, I have it in my fics (such as F/TF) that each Sweep has a distinct means by which they fold their wings when in biomech mode - an idea I got from Titanium Scourge, which allows you to do just that when standing him up. Also, I give the Sweeps in my story Greek letters as designators.

Thus, the Sweeps (and Scourge) would have a system they themselves would be familiar with, as would the likes of Cyclonus and others accustomed to their operation - but outsiders would be at a disadvantage when it comes to correctly identifying which Sweeps they faced.

Indeed, that would also be a factor for Omega - the Sweep I featured in Avatar - as when he eventually shows up on Earth (during the course of F/TF, in which Avatar is set) his opponents would have no reason to know that he isn't there on behalf of Galvatron or another Decepticon faction, as opposed to serving as a minion of the Fallen.

20. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Good point...never thought of it that way before...