How many "Old Timers" we got? Born before 1980.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Armoredrah, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Armoredrah

Armoredrah Junkion

I'l start it. I was born in 1978. My reason for starting this thread is just to see how many more of us there are on here and see if everyone feels as old as I do. LOL

How bout we all tell what year we were born and about our first transformers memory?
    Then just feel free to ramble about how things have changed since then or whatever.

Here goes.
    As I said, I was born in 1978 and I'm guessing I was a fan of Transformers from the the first episode of the G1 toon. My memory isn't very good when it comes to time. I can't tell you when something happened, but if I remember any detail, I remember EVERY detail. My first Transformers memory was opening Optimus Prime on Christmas, based on the pictures I have from my childhood and the items in them, I can only guess it was 1984, making me 6 years old. Man, Optimus was so cool. I can remember staring at the box for what seemed like forever, just grinning from ear to ear, before opening him.
    Once he was out of the box, I handed him to my Dad to put the stickers on for me (I was smart enough to know I couldn't put them on straight). My family was poor, but they did their best to get me the toys I wanted. I can only guess that Mom and Grandma drove 100 miles or more to find me toys I wanted for Christmas, since here in Greeneville TN, it's like living two years behind everyone else in the world. I crawled all over the living room floor, near the wood stove rolling Optimus around. I don't remember what else I got that year.
    I wasn't a big fan of some of the later lines. Some had a few figures I liked, but nothing that really hit me like Optimus did back then.

1984 doesn't seem all that long ago, but a lot of the fans now weren't even born yet. Some never saw the G1 cartoons. It makes me feel old and it's a little depressing. Some of the younger fans don't know that Arcee should be a pink car, they don't know who Wheelie is or what made Unicron so important. If you mention "The Movie" most of them think you mean "Bayformers" and when you say "no, the one from 1986", they look at you like you're talking about a black and white silent film or something.
    They don't know who Lionel Stander was... I even ran into some guys my age who claimed to be transformer fans and then had no idea that Orson Welles was Unicron. One even tried to correct me and said, "Leonard Nimoy was Spock, not Galvatron" and laughed like I was the idiot. Clearly these guys weren't REAL Transformer fans.
    Am I only one who notices this stuff?

Maybe I'm too much like Kup now....

Come on guys, post something. Share your feelings on Transformers, getting older, or whatever you want to post about. Give me something to read. Send me a friend request or a PM if you're an "Old Timer".
    Thanks for taking the time to read this, even if you don't post.:thumbs2: 

2. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Same here a 70's kid. Was into the comics first then the cartoon.

3. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

Born 1975 and I been watching TF's since it first started and even before that their was MOTU so I watched that before I got into TF's. Really its all good to me cause I love those great cartoons.

4. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

79' and grew up diecast toys. plastic toys feel cheap. altough season 3 had better plots, it killed the franchise for me when i was a kid. the toys felt cheap and couldn't stand rodimus as the new leader.

5. Armoredrah

Armoredrah Junkion

Yeah, I remember HeMan (matter of fact, I just dug out some of my old figures a few minutes ago, found one of my old Man-E-Faces figures, still in decent shape.) There were a lot of good toons with nice toy lines back then, wonder what changed? While looking through some of my old figures I ran into Mr.T and Face from the A-Team and some random Star Wars figures, a couple of Gobots and a ton of G.I. Joe weapons. I just finished building a Cybertronian tower for my CHUG figures using 25 year old glow in the dark Legos. Sometime it pays to dig to the bottom of these old boxes of toys. LOL

6. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Born in '78. Grew up watching 80's cartoons (TFs being the first, even had some of the toys) and listening to 80's music.

Hell, I even have one of those cheesy TF picture books in my room stashed somewhere :lol 

7. Armoredrah

Armoredrah Junkion

I never was big on the diecast, since it always meant I was going to chip the paint, badly. Even to this day, I'm not that interested in diecast, my MP Prime has some awesome battle damage, which is actual damage thanks to the diecast. LOL The only time I've had any luck fixing the paint on diecast toys, was when I started a full restore on two Wheeljacks. I stripped the paint off the diecast parts and carefully resprayed the parts with automotive paint. They came out nice, but thanks to the repro parts for them taking so long, I lost interest in finishing them, so when the parts came, I just sold them to someone who wanted to finish them. Everytime I've ever tried a touch-up, it always chipped or peeled again, usually making a bigger spot, so I just stay away from diecast when possible, but like on the new Wheelie, I got more than one, so when I damage the paint to the point I can't stand to look at it, I have a back up to replace it.

8. Armoredrah

Armoredrah Junkion

80's music= AWESOME! I still listen to it, We were lucky growing up when we did.:cool: 

9. Primal_Grimlock

Primal_Grimlock Gettin' outta collectin'

1978. Grew up watching Transformers when it first started, He Man, Centurions, BraveStarr, Thundercats etc.

10. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    77. Watched GIjoe, thundercats, transformers. Remember getting the devastator giftset on christmas and how i needed to put him together right then.

11. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i was born 2 weeks before Gerald Ford took office. so I am a Nixon-baby.

by the time i was starting school, We had "CHiPs", "Dukes of Hazzard", "Happy Days" and other chintzy things.
    But GI Joe and TFs came just as i was growing out of the destroy everything phase of being a kid and that's when the good times began to roll.

12. Kevin XI

Kevin XI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    '76. I wish I had now what I had back then. I was into Star Wars, GI Joes, Go-Bots, Transformers, and He-Man. Still am, except for the Joes and He-Man, but I only collect TF's.

13. Armoredrah

Armoredrah Junkion

Yeah! This is the kind of thing I I like to hear about. Bringing up Dukes of Hazzard! Man, that's awesome. I had the General Lee car and the Bo and Luke figures when I was a kid!
    What about Knight Rider? I can remember wanting the version of Kitt that talked and had the license plate that changed! It's great to see that I'm not the only one here who was around for all that stuff!

14. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

1978 for me too! :thumb 

15. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    77 here. Pretty much the same as most of you all. Grew up watching shows like Transformers, Robotech, Gobots, Thundercats, He-man, M.A.S.K., A-Team, Dukes of Hazzard, Magnum P.I., Greatest American Hero (even though the guy couldn't fly for shit, it always amused me when he crashed :D ), Knight Rider, The Incredible Hulk, I vaguely remember something about Mork and Mindy, and who can forget Married with Children?

There's other shows I'm sure.....but yeah.....I kinda feel like Kup myself :D 

16. Armoredrah

Armoredrah Junkion

This thread is going a lot better than I expected. I'm really enjoying reading everyone's posts. It's great to be reminded of the shows we grew up with and may have fogotten. Mork and Mindy, the first time I ever saw Robin Williams and Jonathan Winters. I really loved that show.

17. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

1977. Used to watch the 60's Spiderman cartoon before preschool every morning. I later got into He-Man, and then some of my friends who were a few years older were into Transformers and so I got into them as well.

18. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh snap, 60's spiderman? This just reminded me of the old Popeye cartoons, Scooby Doo, Looney Tunes, Merry Melodies, the old Tom and Jerry cartoons.....ahhh the memories! :D 

Yea definitely. There's other shows too that I know I might have forgotten, but let me see a clip of it and I'm sure I'll remember em.

19. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    79 here. I have an appreciation for older things. I enjoy 1980s stuff a lot and also some classic TV shows. If I ever have a kid I'm going to teach him to have appreciation for stuff way before his generation. To many kids think that if something is from before they were born it doesn't exist or it sucks..

20. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was all about Transformers until Nintendo came out with Legend of Zelda, lets just say Video Games was the new #1 in my life until Alternators pulled me back into TF's.