How many of each figure do you think are produced?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by unpunk, Sep 14, 2010.

1. unpunk

unpunk Well-Known Member

I was just thinking about this, and thought I'd ask. How many figures do you think are cranked out of a mold before it's unusable? When you think of how many times the original G1 molds have been used (Diaclone, G1, European classics, reissues, etc, etc.) especially the seeker mold (considering they have to use the main body mold for 6 different figures). Add the worldwide distribution of these toys into the mix, and that's quite a few figures. I'm not limiting this question strictly to G1 reissues BTW, but for any Transformer line. Is 40,000 of each figure high? Low? i just thought it was sort of an interesting thing to ask. Has this come up before? ok-boB

2. ScoobyGoo

ScoobyGoo Well-Known Member

Many many lots...

I have absolutely no idea.

3. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I'm wondering how it is possible that newer toys seem to be so floppy and having loose joints, while my old toys are still like brand new (only some stickers indicate that they are actually not new). Did they renew the molds more often in the past or is it just poor QC? Because I would guess the old toys were produce in larger numbers than todays toys, because they were around many years longer and there were not so many different toys in the stores, like today. So it is a bit confusing...

4. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    it really depends on the quality of the mold and the popularity of it. Also, a slight retooling can go a long way.

5. Skywave

Skywave Transformers Noob

What I'm wondering is do they really have only one mold for a figure? Unless injecting plastic and extracting the sprue is a matter of seconds, I think that more than one is necessary to supply the world with such amount of toys.

6. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

I guess the more complex a figure is for its pricepoint, the more they'll have to make. I.e. they need to make more deluxes and scouts than say leaders to make the profit they want.
    My uneducated guess is they make 100.000+ of a deluxe.

I'd say they have multiple molds at multiple hired factories.

7. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I guess they changed it, but they did manage to "lose" the G1 Mirage mold. So either Hasbro went slightly numb and threw them all away, or they only produced one. Don't know about today, though.

8. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Wow, good question.

My answer: A lot.

9. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

1, just 1.

10. ScoobyGoo

ScoobyGoo Well-Known Member

It's most probably the master mould that degrades

11. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

it depends on the TF toy line & how popular Hasbro/Takara thinks it will sell. not all TF toy lines are the same.

I'd imagine the TF Live action toy lines receive the highest volume units of toys produced world wide.

12. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I'm going to go with 3,017. I base that on exactly what everyone else in this thread is basing their answers on.

13. unpunk

unpunk Well-Known Member

I would surmise that movie toys are surely getting more figures made than any line in the past. Movie 2 figures were more available than movie 1 due to Hasbro underestimating the popularity of the first film. Christmas of 07 I couldn't find a single TF on the shelves. Even the little non-screen toys were gone (watch, binoculars etc. I can't recall exactly what they were called). Christmas time in 84-85 was the same thing, certain figures were highly in demand and my folks couldn't find too many of them. I think it has to be a case of several molds made and distributed to different factories. It would be hell for one factory to do every single figure in the quantities that are needed to supply the world. Can you imagine how repetitive it would be to cut figures out of the sprue, and assemble the same figure for hours at a time? Yeah popularity of the character probably has a lot to do with it too. I just thought it was an interesting question to ask...

14. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Yes, that sounds about right.

Also don't forget these lost molds are from the 80s, so they're 20-25 years old. In the meantime someone might have binned them because they were not being used, they might have deteriorated from age, they might have been left behind when contracts expired... plenty of scope for a set of molds to go missing / become unusable.

Though more modern losses like the Car Brothers are almost certainly due to the master becoming unusable. I'd imagine that the materials the things are made from would be made to suit the projected amount of uses of the mold, no sense in making one that will last a million uses when you're only expecting a maximum run of 100,000 - 200,000.

15. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is why I thought the Car Brothers moulds gave up the ghost so quickly - as CR was only intended to be a filler line, Takara made the moulds from 'cheaper' materials as they only expected a couple of production runs.

Also of note is the Classics seeker mould - Acid Storm, Universe Starscream and Henkei Thundercracker all showed progressive signs of mould degradation, but Henkei Ghost Starscream's joints and missile launchers suggest a 'new' mould has been made due to the huge increase in quality.

16. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What I'm wondering is how do they copy the master mold?
    But, as others have said, Master mold degradation is something not even Hasbro can predict.

17. robowarrior

robowarrior Arcee's BF

News Credits:
    I have to say they probably make about 100 thousand zillion trillion and 40 cazillions... ;p

18. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Over 9000.

19. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Simple answer:

More than we know.

20. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Until we find out.