How many missed out on classics 1.0 and 2.0?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by 46+2, Mar 7, 2011.

1. ZedzDead

ZedzDead decepticon sabatour

Ebay:
    I'm glad to say i didn't miss out. and the ones i passed on at first i was able to score w/ ease. believe it or not, right when the classics 1.0 was released on wave 1 i found astrotrain one day by chance. i was not a toy collector at this point and sometimes browsed the toys section every now and again just out of curiosity. astrotrain was one of my favorite toys as a child so i just couldn't pass the opportunity. hell, it was only 10 bucks! my wife just looked at me w/ disbelief as i threw it into the cart and said "i'm buying this for myself". and that was the fig that got me addicted to plastic crack. damn you Hasbro! my wife never saw this coming! now i have more toys than my 2 sons combined 10 x's over. Z

2. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    picked up that entire first wave of classics, missed the ones after like mirage and grimlock cause I wasn't liking the molds for whatever reason at the time.

then classics disappeared and I didn't keep up with the boards back then, so I was oblivious to the universe/classics 2.0 rebranding. I remember picking up inferno at the store and wondering if he was just a repaint of an existing toy...

sadly I put them all back until I saw universe/classics cyclonus on the shelves. he really stood out among the pegs of cheetors and galvatrons, as something really g1 accurate. I picked him up and immediately it rekindled that classics fire. been trying to hunt down a lot of stuff I missed out on since, but I'm pretty happy to say I haven't missed any of generations and am caught up to wheeljack & thundercracker already courtesy of bbts.

3. xion14

xion14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I only ever picked up the Voyager Megatron from Classics.

4. newmanium

newmanium Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Transformers had been non-existent to me until I saw the live action movie and I didn't start collecting until after the horrid sequel was released.

Realizing that I missed out on several lines of "classics", I decided I would not concern myself with those figures, however, everything changed when I bought generations/rts Tracks. Since then I have acquired generations Jazz, Scourge, Cyclonus, Thundertracker, Red Alert, Wheeljack and Kup. Yesterday I received universe Smokescreen in the mail and are waiting on Sideswipe and Sunstreaker to arrive. I will expand with more seekers and Prowl/Bluestreaker if I find deals.

It's all Tracks fault.

5. davehammer

davehammer Well-Known Member

just started collecting around the time Universe 2.0 came out. Got most of the ones that I wanted and was still able to get most of the original Classics for reasonable price back in mid 2009

6. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Word. It was alternators that got me back in. I missed the early waves of Alts because I was still in school but started checking the toy aisle and buying them when I graduated and got a job so I was in classics from the beginning!

Muwahahahaha. I only started back into collecting when Magnus came out. Retail was $25 for the two but Target was loaded so I waited. I didn't know about these boards and missed the boat completely on the clearance. C'est la vie.

7. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

You..manchild.

8. IceWilly

IceWilly Technobot

I've always liked transformers, I've been ebaying them since 1999. I regret only buying Transmetals in the BW days, but I was young and only like the more robo like toys later. In retrospec I only regret not getting Inferno, but I could get him for fairly cheap these days.

BM, RiD and Armada were basically a total waste for me. I got them at the time but they have no lasting value. I'm just glad I didn't care for E/C at the time. I can't even really do much to kitbash with these older lines.

I am THANKFUL i was in college during G1 commem and Alternators. I would have gotten a lot of those, and with the exception of Smokescreen and Meister, I wouldn't care for them anymore.

Beyond that, the only thing I regret was all of the movie-verse toys. With the exception of Leader primes and a few Autobot Deluxes they are just junk to me. And basically worth nothing. I'll probably sell all them off for cheap and buy something. Even if i sold ALL of them and got 1 transformer more in line with the Classics I do now it would be worth it. Very sad that many deluxes and voyagers could equal 1 perfect effect reflector, but I would be happy with that.

The G1 figures I have I really like. No regrets there. Even with FP Superion and Bruticus and a forthcoming Devy custom, I still like owning the originals. I think i'll be more active selling things off now, just to turn them over for whatever money I can get and moving on.

9. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    Classic 1.0 is actually what got me into collecting figures. I saw the Voyager Prime on an end-cap and bought him as a decoration for my desk. Well,... let's just say now I have nearly the entire line.

10. RayH

RayH Well-Known Member

Back when classics came out i was into MP's and ALTs, and back when they first started i felt the MP's and alts were the better g1 line. Cause i thought the megs and optimus for classic sucked [and i still do]. The thing holding me off from classics was the lack of a good a megs and op.

Then henkei came along and fixed everything and that totally got me into classics, because of the much more g1 accurate paint jobs. Then pretty much from then on i started collecting chug. I pretty much have everything [that isn't some crappy UT figure repaint or not g1 based character]

the only thing I'm missing is ultra magnus and cliffjumper. well and grimlock, but i purposley never bought him cause he sucks.

11. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I missed out on 1.0 but was able to get most of them just before 2.0 came out at pretty decent prices. My first were a lot on ebay with SS and SW came out to 30 shipped then I got Astrotrain and Ramjet for 25 for both. I feel for the ones that missed out and are trying to get caught up especially after how much Ramjet and Ratchet are going for these days.

12. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I've been on board since the very first wave of Universe 2.0 but missed out on all the classics. Luckily, Henkeis were still available at most online stores so I ended up getting all the Takara versions of Astrotrain, Bumblebee, Prime etc which worked out better for me as I much prefer those versions anyway. Haven't missed a beat since!

13. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I almost got into Classics, but didn't actually grab any.

I got Dinobot from Universe. Then I really got bit my the collecting bug when RotF rolled in and I started scouring stores and EBay for Universe. Got all the ones I wanted for good prices. I recently got Sideswipe and Sunstreaker, had to pay a bit more. Classics are a bit pricier (and/or a bit looser) but I managed to get Jetfire + Grimlock. Went to Henkei/United for Optimus, Megatron, and Astrotrain. Now I actually have most of the Classics molds what with all the re-releasing lately.

Generations I am a completist. RtS nearly so.

14. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    The only classics I brought full price for was Dinobot, Cheetor, and Hound. The other four I have I got a dollar a piece for at a toy fair.

15. Shinobi Rendar

Shinobi Rendar Artobot

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I missed out on a lot. I once almost bought classics Jetfire and Prime at one point, but didn't. Generations WFC Optimus Prime got me back into collecting and now I've got all the ones I want. I found most of them at some pretty good prices thanks to some awesome board members.

I'm not planning on getting all of them, just the ones that look good. I only have 3 or 4 to get and then I'm done (at least with the already released ones). I am glad I bought them now because they probably wouldn't be in good condition if I would've bought them back then.

16. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM Banned

I saw everyone of them in store and held them all in my hand.

Just due to money and not getting the vibe from them, I passed on a ton of them. I was smart enough to grab Grimlock, Starscream, Hot Rod and a few others when new.

Now WFC/GEN/RTS/etc, I have everyone of them so far and will continue as long as they are made.

Only non true G1 stuff to have their own spot on my displays, I like'em.

If I find real deals on the 1.0 and 2.0 stuff I would prolly grab them, but not at $20 or more a fig prices.

17. roy_flagg00

roy_flagg00 I want more life....

I'm missing Cliffjumper. That's it.
    I have all the rest. I am even selling off my BW stuff (a significant collection) to pay for any and all other chug toys that may be coming out.

18. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    I rarely missed out on some Classics toys. I could never find Ultra Magnus and Skywarp at Target, nor the TRU Reissue Soundwave, nor could I ever find Masterpiece Starscream or that Devastator Giftset at Wal-Mart. Needless to say, I had all the non-store exclusive Classics 1.0 toyline (including the Mini-Cons and that Optimus Prime/Megatron two-pack) a few years ago. But since then I've sold quite a few of them; they just didn't have that same spark they did when I got them.

Universe was initially the same with Classics; when that came out, I wanted to get them all, including Nemesis Prime (who I eventually got thanks to a fellow member here, can't remember his name unfortunately). But as time passed, I changed my mind and decided to only get the ones that were from G1 (Dinobot and Hot Shot were exceptions). But like Classics, some of them eventually lost their charm on me, and I sold them off.

As far as Generations goes right now, I'm only interested in getting the rest of the G1 cast from the first two seasons; characters from 1986 and onward are not on my list. Enjoy seeing the Battle in Space two-packs warm shelves in central Ohio! [/trollface]

19. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    That is dedication.