Customs: How many kitbashes are you working on?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Wreckgar, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    Well I have a terrible habit of starting and not finishing anything. I'll work dilligently for a few days and then it sits, and sits, and sits. Part is frustration, part is just being worn out from other stuff, part is disinterest.

Right now, I have 2 being worked on. One is a repaint and slight retool and the other is a complete scratch build. The scrath one I started in Feb. It was a major project for about 3 weekends then sat. Since then I have touched it twice. And that was minor citting or just fiddling. I hit a small problem and couldn't figure it out and there it sits.

I also have 3 others lined up and a forth being bought this week with the TRU sale. All are alternator projects.

So are you guys more dedicated and if so, why/how?

2. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I have a big problem with doing this. In fact, two of my kitbash ideas sat for almost a year and then leaked as upcoming OTFCC exclusives, so I abandoned them.

At the present time, I have one major BT reshell in the works, another main line toy to be extensively modded, and a couple more lined up to do afterword. My problem is time. I just don't have enough of it free to work on anything.

3. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I picked up and put down my Sidewinder project so many times that I can't really remember when I even started it! The main reason being that, like you, I spent a lot of time getting stumped on exactly how to accomplish something. I know where you're coming from. I have a Skids to Ironhide repaint ready to start when the Sidewinder is all finished.

So...to answer your question, I guess I try to work on one thing at a time...even if it does take a while. I have a lot of ideas, but if I start another before finishing the first, it takes a lot longer for either of them to get done.

4. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    2 Scratchbuilds...a fan character of my friend's that I designed which is a Headmaster, and GF Signal Lancer. I didn't want to just kitbash a Mudflap, cuz I felt he was way too big for it. My Signal Lancer will be the size of a deluxe, maybe a little larger.

5. carnage717

carnage717 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Right now I have 4 Alternator projects, all in different stages. I too am working on a Skids to Ironhide Custom, as well as Richochet to Cliffjumper, Mirage to Arcee and Grimlock to Soundwave. I also have a spare Rollbar figure but I havent quite figured out who I want to turn him into yet. If anyone has any suggestions for the Rollbar figure feel free to post them. I just finished my Cliffjumper head last night so Ill probably finish him up first. The Arcee will probably be next but im going to need to make a few modification to the hood part to give it a more femine look when she's in robot mode. On top of that Mirage is not the easiest Alt. to take apart. Im having to take a few pictures along the way for reference to use when putting him back together. The only other Custom I have planned that isnt an Alternator is my spare Masterpiece Prime that will be painted black and turned into a Nemisis Prime but he's way down on the priority list because the time it will take to finish him.

6. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I was working on an LOC Ultra Magnus, complete with car carrier backpack, for the past month. I got bored with it and I've tossed the half-finished car carrier halves (that would form the backpack) and the Magnus into the "finish someday" bin on the model table.

I added some articulation to LOC Hot Shot but haven't painted him/detailed him yet. The fact that we've got the Heroes tiny-ass Bumblebee has kinda made finishing this project moot (i.e., it's easier to mess with pre-molded yellow plastic than it is to paint light blue plastic yellow. So I'm lazy. :D  )

I've got an X-Brawn in thousands of pieces with NO idea what I want to do with him.

I've stripped Alternators Richochet and Dead End with the purpose of turning them into Brawn & Gears, but I still haven't picked up the model kits I want to use for them.

Bottom line...I'm taking a break from Transformers. I have an idea for a lit, superdetailed new starship I want to build and I just finished designing a prototype lighting circuit for it last night. Because this project will look good in a portfolio and an Electrical Engineer's resume, I think it's going to take first priority for the next few months.

7. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

None - Not enough will power and not enough time...

8. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

Ha ha... glad to know I'm not the only one who lets kitbashes sit around unfinished forever. My desk looks like a Transformers graveyard right now, robto parts strewn everywhere. I'm currently working on 4 Alternator kitbashes. If I finish those I'm gonna take a break for a while. Kitbashes are fun, but they take too much time.

Which is too bad, 'cause there are at least four or five more I'd like to attempt if I had time.

9. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I've still got to do up all the camo on my Cybertron Dirge, I havn't done really squat on my loc Alpha Trion, and I have to do my Classics Megatron, plus I still wanna do 2 more seekers for Cybertron to get all 7 characters and omega supreme for Cybertron as well *sigh*

10. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    I get wishy-washy sometimes with ideas, you know, "should I do...etc, etc" then don't do anything. I guess that is better than letting them sit, but I feel your pain.
    When I do do something, I take my sweet-ass time. I have *got* to touch up classics Megs and MP screamer. Also need to do a black classics Prime, amongst other stuff, but can't find time right now... maybe I just can't deal with that now :confused2 

11. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    my ark diorama and ARC kit are both currently KIV :( 

i need to get my toy room back. ya hear that wifey?! its the takeover bitch!

12. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Well, I've come up with some great ideas for kitbashes, but haven't done one yet. The main reason for this, is because I don't have the money to do any of them with. I've been saving up some money, so I might do one of my ideas for a Cl. Bumblebee kitbash here soon. Peace out.

13. thunderbat16

thunderbat16 scout sniper

my main problem is not time it's supplies they are hard to come by when you can't find them plus there aren't many places that sell transformers around here and wal-mart doesn't keep them up to date with new stock like they should hell they haven't got in the latest wave of cybertron yet

14. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    Theoretically, I have three in progress. I say "theoretically" for a number of reasons.

-RiD Storm Shadow was finished ages ago, but I feel he could use a redone paint job with Krylon Fusion so I can fully paint his arms and make him look all around better (he was my first project). And I'd really like to give him at least one sword. He's not much of a ninja with just a Spychanger gun.

-RiD Soundwave's robot mode was never finished. I got lazy when I ran out of silver paint (I think that's what happened), and at the time I couldn't finish painting his arms for fear of the paint scraping off when transformed. But that's what Krylon fusion would be for, I guess.

-Cybertron Metalhawk is still only the preview pictures I posted some time ago since I couldn't think of any paint apps to break up the jet mode (I want it to be distinct from the Cybertron Starscream stripes) and simply never got around to it over the summer.

*EDIT* Now that I think about it, I never did complete the robot modes for my Revelation Saber and Victory Saber Mini-Cons. Some of the little buggers just didn't want to come apart, and the black and gold paints probably wouldn't have survived the Jetstorm mold's arms transforming.

Unfortunately, all of these have to be on hold while I'm at school.

15. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Kinda 4. CD Hotshot -> Rodimus Prime is being sprayed every couple days, dlx Unicron repaint is sitting in a bag, and 2 Scrapmetals are in the "wtf am I doing with this" stage. Plus I've got a handful more Scrapmetals I want to repaint and who knows how many Classics I'll want to do. And two quick repaints of a 3" titanium, but those I'm gonna bang out tonight.

16. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Here are some of my plans. I've also been planning some future projects as well for when I get to reshelling/scratchbuilding.

In terms of all of my projects, I keep a running list of things I want to do. I also have a few folders on my PC that houses all of my running ideas. Persistence and dilligence are the keys for me. Insane Galivtron pointed out an obsticle for him and it's mine as well: time. Having the time to do all of the things I want (and have) to do is one of my major roadblocks. There are also a LOT of things I want (and will) do outside of Transformers that are much the same way (such as my vocation for example). My time is finite, and I just want to be able to do as many things as I can set out to do with it :) 

17. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    Well I feel a lot better now. Also, I want to do a Skids to Ironhide as well. He's already got all the parts and the head matches perfectly. So that's 2 Skids I need now.

18. Viper_486

Viper_486 Cobraaa!

I have maybe 10 or 11 in various stages of construction.
    The lions share of them just need me to have more time to finish them, since my day job takes up almost all my waking hours.
    Others are on hold till I can get certain materials (such as tires for my MP Black Convoy Trailer).