How many just commemorate the memory?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by aprim, Feb 1, 2011.

1. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As a child I always seen watched transformers, star wars, gijoe and it is my fondest years..How many just collect to try and recapture that moment?

I'm 38 years old, some come into my mancave and are floored by the devotion to the toyline. Some think its obsessive, some this it’s a cool hobby but I tell them all it’s just about the memoires.

Which is why I don't like much other then G1, although I do enjoy animated and Prime. I keep most stuff MISB/MIB and really enjoy just having them around.
    Most of my stuff is what I wanted/had when I was a child. Someone like Skylynks(sorry skylynks) isn’t in my collection because I just never cared for him.
    That being said, I do enjoy the newer stuff as long as it’s related to some type of memory.

Disclamer : Ok something like Shadow Scyther is new, but its has enough raw power to pull me in..There are exceptions.

MIB collecting is funny, some do it for the potential $$$ it can bring, but I remember being 12 and running into child world to see the badass boxart on the shelf. I would keep every single box G1 in my closet even at 12.
    I also kept every Star Wars backing/GIJOE backing as well. I still remember that Blow Torch sitting on top of the rack, I couldn’t reach it fast enough. The Box art was half the magic of the figure..Something I think that really have been slacking on in current TF toy lines. I been seeing those new Vintage Star Wars figs on the shelf and i almost impulse buy them every time.

Anyway, I see allot of discussion about who’s GeeOne, which is better..bla bla bla..everyone comes to this site for a different reason. In 20 years, people who started watching transformers when the movies came out might just try and grab a Movie 1 Prime for big bucks..even if the other 2 movie toy lines have a better one. It’s about where you are when they grab you.

Who cares if its Cybertron, Beast Wars, or G1?

Anyway...I walked into a local comic shop and sitting behind the counter was a Empire Strikes Back MOSC Yoda.. I was warped back to age 9 when my grandmother bought it for me 2 blocks over at child world in like 85. My grandmother has since passed, but right at that moment it felt like she was right there. That’s when I realized it's not so much about those figures, it was about the memories they carry for me.

NOEMO

2. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    your exact reasoning is why i like they new stuff, its a chance to relive memories with the characters i never got to have growing up (im 28) but i do miss the boxart of the figures interacting with eachother like they used to.

but i only have the movies stuff and metallica posters in my mancave all my classics stuff is up in my office

3. dragooner

dragooner Optimus' BFF

For all reasons stated aprim....ditto

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    That is why, no matter what, I am never selling certain pieces from my collection. They have such a huge amount of nostalgia connected with them.

5. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Man, I should of bought that Yoda...260 bucks I had to pass.

6. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I love the Classics figs for their updating of characters I loved, but when it comes down to it, I'll get any toy I think looks cool, whether or not I plan to repurpose it as a G1 character.
    I keep my old G1 figs largely due to nostalgia, but I'm not really getting any more. I buy new figures because they look good and are fun to play with. Basically, I'm a big kid, and refuse to grow up. :p 

7. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    I have a lot of good memories of The original Transformers and I feel that this franchise has a tremendous amount of respect for its origins. I'm probably one of the easiest going guys on the new fiction or major changes to the modern universe, which is good because I'm finding new product that fits my mecha style even with that passion for G1.

The engineering is improving every year. With figures that have more parts, or more intuitive transformations, and bits that can be putt back together easily if they come off. The storytelling has evolved beyond just selling the toy of the week and we have good transformers video games now. Its a great time to be a fan with the variety of product out there.

I do keep a lot of stuff MIB. Mainly because I think it looks cool. Filling a otherwise blank wall, and it gives a sense of modern historical and cultural significance to the collection on a certain level.

In another twenty years, There will be people who look back on the toys of today nostalgically. The brand will either grow and become infinitely perfected into super stunning 3D media juggernaut and living battleling desk toys or collapse under the weight of over saturation in the market. But I think hasbro knows how to handle a brand that pushes itself out to far. They have star wars toys, and thats an even larger media franchise right now, which is deeply saturated.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  8. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    G1 is and will always be in my heart. I have such fund memories of me and mum,dad buying toys with me as a young kid. Friends having TFs I never owned, and such and that I now have in their original boxes in mint condition. A part of me wants to open them up and display them. But I just love how they just stand there in their boxes all complete and fantastic just as they were 25 years ago.

9. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

Ditto for me.I could never get rid of any of my G1 Transformers that I got when I was kid.Just thinking back.....good times.

10. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    I think the experience of kids today is not at all comparable to those of us who were kids in the 80s. And while no doubt there will be toys of today that will stick with the kids who love them, I do not think the appeal will be nearly as broad. What I mean by that is, back in the 80s there were far less things competing for our attention. Everyone got the same channels on TV. The only times that cartoons were even on were right after school and Saturday morning. It was a collectively shared experience. Today there are so many media properties(TV, toys, games, movies) coming and going with such rapidity that there is no way to compare the impact a single show had on us in the 80s with the impact of a show on today's kids. The amount of instantly available media has had a diluting effect on media's impact on culture. What was once a shared experience defined by the limits of media distribution is now a very personalized one with each person selecting what they will consume, when and how.

Can anyone name a cartoon from the last decade that has had the impact on the collective consciousness that Transformers did in the 80s? I can't think of one, and I believe that never again in history will the circumstances converge to create that magic again. That's why you see so many remakes of old movies and TV shows. The name recognition of a big hit of yesterday is worth more to the bottom line than anything else. In the howling mass of media flying around everyone's brain it has become harder and harder to carve out a distinctive "brand" then ever before. There is simply too much competition for people's attention.

So when I see people bitching about those damn geewunners I just have to smile, because if you weren't a child back then you will never understand how big a deal it really was or why we still love it so to this day.

11. KWFlange

KWFlange You're So Jelly

I think you may be correct in this assertion (if not only to a degree). When Transformers was first released it was done so because it had just became legal to create a show with the intention of selling toys. And for this reason there was not alot of thought and innovation put into a lot of toys before this era (Granted toys from other eras may have been great engineering feats...just watch Pawn Stars..but they didn't have a ton of lore associated with them). So suddenly the few channels we had were bombarded with Transformers, G.I.Joe, Ninja Turtles, Sheriff Bravestar, and MASK(etc.). And only the most inovative and marketable survived. Today companies know what sells and we are victims of "fun inflation". If you released a mediocre 2000s era video game in the year 1986 it would blow EVERYONE'S mind lol. But what was good from the era lives on to this day and I am still happy to see that people have come to enjoy the new transformers continuities int he sea of "fun things".

12. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I personally have no fond childhood memories of G1. I'm making this up as I go.

13. Jazz Meister

Jazz Meister Well-Known Member

It is mostly memories for me I love anything G1 related as far as characters goes. I didn't have very many as a kid so nows my chance to get all those ones I wanted then. I do remember getting Swoop at a Garage Sale after my mom turned me down for Soundwave since she said it doesn't play the cassettes. It also deals with the fact my son got into transformers as will and it's something we both enjoy doing.

14. KWFlange

KWFlange You're So Jelly

My fiance asked me the other night what I would do if down the road we had a kid and it like transformers.
    My response was "It can play with my doubles".
    I think it would be awesome if that was something my future son/daughter and I could enjoy together.
    Here's hoping lmao.

15. Laservampire

Laservampire Well-Known Member

Same here! I have no interest in any of the newer lines of Transformers except when it's a really cool version of a G1 character (i.e. MP-09).

16. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    back in the 80s

Gi Joe, Star Wars and Transformers were the main brand of toys for kids (Mostly male and some female)

there were no TMNT, Power rangers, and other assorted Crap that clogged toy shelves...

It was magical to go to a store and see 5 to 8 COMPLETE ISLES devoted to just transformers....show me a toy store today that does ONE COMPLETE isle?

No where...not happening...the 80s were a magical time to be a kid...now the "TOY SECTION" is one isle devoted to lots of crap...and a little area for transformers, gi joe and star wars.

17. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

TMNT was around in the 80's. Power Rangers barely clogs toy shelves these days, either.

Oh, please. I have no idea what stores you've been going to, but there are usually multiple aisles of toys in any given American supermarket. Not to mention, it would be near impossible to fill 5 complete aisles with Transformers toys, unless they had minuscule aisles back in the 80's. The "one isle devoted to lots of crap" is a horrible exaggeration.

18. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    It initially started as a nostalgia trip for me.. but now.. it has grown and morphed into something completely beyond that. Putting my collection together almost feels like an art form at this point.

19. GrandMaXimus

GrandMaXimus Party in my tummy!!! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    QFT :thumbs2: . I'm 36 and I can recall going into Child World, Kay Bee, Woolworth's, etc and just begging my parents if I could get some bots and joes. I don't even think a electronic aisle was in existence. I even recorded all the episodes on CASSETTES every Saturday cause we didn't have enough money to buy a vcr.

20. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    While I certainly don't "just commemorate the memory", there is a great amount of nostalgia associated with my Transformers and my hobby. My continuance of this hobby is about making new memories as well.

That being said, there are things that I am nostalgic about that only goes back a shorter ways, such as RiD and Alternators.