how many is too many

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Lumpy, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    ive been debating over what to do with my beast wars duplicates, since im buying the 10th anniversary, and have the originals, and repaints and remolds....so, how many is too many...heres a list of some duplicates i have

waspinator 5 (1 remold)
    dinobot 7 (4 remolds)
    beast machines jetstorm 6 (1 exact same paint scheme)

those are 3 of the more extreme examples, but rhinox, cheetor, transmetal rattrap, and countless others ive got at least 3 of....so, how much is too much?

and that doesnt count different toys for the same character, like transmetal waspy or dinobot, ive got a few of those too, same with the rest....

EDIT: heres more duplicates
    Cybershark 3 (2 remolds)
    Triceradon 5 (1 remold)
    striker 4

if you didnt even know some of the remolds or versions exist check www.tfu.info for pics of what crazyness i have...

2. highlander3000

highlander3000 Jump around!

News Credits:
    I'm of the mind that if you can't display them, then why keep them (unless you hope they appreciate in value to sell later)? I'm trying to sell a number of toys for that reason.

Andrew

3. Lumpy

News Credits:
    i used to be able to display them all, then moved into a smaller apartment, so i rotate my display, the moved into an even smaller place with my girlfriend, and rotate still, but someday, i want a house to set them all in, but its the fox repaints and stuff that get to me, ive almost got a complete beast wars set, only missing like 12 figures, so its the thought between complete versus my sanity and not having 5 of the same toy...right now, ive got all my waspys out, and i know that the original, and the fox kids repaint could easily go, now that ive got the 10th....but...do i dare sell and ruin my completedness?

4. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I buy every version of any type (American and Japanese). TM Rhinox is a great example - there are several variations in color of the BW Metals release, as well as a bunch of versions domestically (TM, FKTM, Armada). For me, every redeco = entirely different toy. But that's just me!

Just box them up and store them - if you're ever at a point where you do have room to display them all, you might be disappointed that you got rid of them (and let's face it, loose Beast Wars stuff isn't exactly burning up the aftermarket, so you'd probably lose money if you sold).

5. Autobot Dave

Autobot Dave Photobot

Hmmm... I don't know how many are too many, but I'll give ya' an idea of how I collect this stuff.

Since you're goin' with Beast Wars, I'll use a happenin' Cheetor example :D 

The first Cheetor mold

-Cheetor (red eyes)
    -Cheetor (blue eyes)
    -Cheetor (green eyes)
    -Tigatron
    -Fox Kids Cheetor
    -Tripredacus Agent
    -10th Anniversary Cheetor

I have the Cheetor with green eyes, and will eventually get Tigatron, but only because of the show... I'm such a sheep.

The others, as far as I'm concerned, are just repaints, and I don't want 'em takin' up space in what limited room I have... ESPECIALLY the eye variants.

The Transmetal Cheetor mold

-Transmetal Cheetor
    -Fox Kids Transmetal Cheetor
    -Metals Ravage
    -Botcon Exclusive Transmetal Tigatron
    -Armada Cheetor

Again, I have the original Transmetal Cheetor, and will probably get the Metals Ravage, because of the whole sheep thing. I don't do exclusives, and Mini-con ports aren't enough of a reason for me to buy another one.

The Transmetal 2 Cheetor mold

-Transmetal 2 Cheetor
    -Tripredacus Agent

I have the original, and... HOLY CRAP... They actually repainted this thing!?!

Currently, I have 3 outta' 14, but will eventually have 5 outta' 14.

So, usin' the Cheetor example, 14's too many, but 5's juuust right :D 

Have fun!!!

6. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Presenting the other side of the coin again, I've purchased ALL of those - even all the different-eyed Cheetors. :D 

7. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I think its a personal thing really...if you're into being a completionist, thats totally cool.

I understand the space issue, I have no room to display my collection right now and have thought several times about maybe selling off some stuff but then I realize it's just my thing and something that makes me happy...so I think ultimately the decision is your personal feelings and preference:) 

8. Lumpy

News Credits:
    see, i dont have the eye variants, but ive got tigatron, the black repaint as tripredacus agent, and the transmetals ive got all of em except tigatron, but hes on my most wanted list....and i love the armada versions, but thats just cuz freefall and i came up with the horsemen thing, and then the comic used it....so those will never leave....and then ive got the last 2...so, ive got 9 of them, and will be buying 10th cheetor soon...

EDIT: im a recovering completist...when i started, it was all about the complete...hence my RID collection...and why i own two storm jets....one was the japanese version just cuz i couldnt find it here...then i found it here....but BW and BM are what got me back into TF's and ive always wanted to complete them...but there are so many stupid repaints...im sure ill keep them all, at least for a few more years...but man, sometimes i look at them all and go damn, thats alotta toys...

9. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    sell one on ebay. once you get rid of that first one, it'll be a huge relief off of your shoulders, then you can pave the way for getting rid of a few more. come on man you can do it!!!

10. Cyclone_X

Cyclone_X Cybertronian Warlord

look at this and tell me if it's too much:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/RMtakara/BW%20reissue/Cheetor/BW10C10.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/RMtakara/BW%20reissue/Rhinox/BW10R11.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/RMtakara/BW%20reissue/Waspinator/BW10W10.jpg

missing: red, blue eyed cheetor, Fox Kids cheetor, japanese normal, TM andTM2 Cheetor, Armada Cheetor, (also missing: orange Tigatron, grey Cheetor), japanese normal and TM Rhinox, japanese normal and TM Waspinator (also missing: Skywarp colored TM Waspinator)

11. Blastwave

Blastwave Well-Known Member

Eh, it comes down to keep 'em or sell 'em... unless they're the Fox Kids repaints, in which case I would just melt them down.

12. JunkionExchange

JunkionExchange Banned

I would love to see some of the ones you say you are missing Pics anyone?

13. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I have all the BW and BM show character toys. One of each is plenty. I have the originals, and then the TMs. Any more than that is just a waste of space and money IMO. Though you can do whatever you want with yours, it's all good as far as I'm concerned. To each his own.

14. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

I looked at my collection a couple of months ago and thought "yeah, that's too much" so I've decided to just stick with 6 autobot alternators and my decepticon alternators and 20th prime. Everything else (G1, Beast Wars, Beast Machines, RID, Armada, Energon, Cybertron) is going towards my nephew to play with when he goes over my parent's house and eventually to a future son if one ever comes about.

15. rodimusconvoy

rodimusconvoy Well-Known Member

when you dream with them, you stick them in the conversation with friends, and you change your name after a Tf, then you've had have enough......