How many is too many?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Hyperoptic, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    How many Transformers is too many?

Is it when you run out of display space?
    Is it when you run out of storage space?
    Is it when you reach a certain amount?
    Or is there no limit and you just rent a storage area if you run out at home?

I'm asking because I feel like I'm very close to my own limit. The way I see it, my G1s and G2s are going to eventually occupy their own room, and the rest of my recent stuff will probably go in an office room. Anything extra will probably end up being stored. I don't know about you guys, but I'm starting to fail to see the point of having stored Transformers, especially if there is no plan to eventually display them...

So to answer my own question, I'd have to say that a reasonable limit for me would be when I run out of available and foreseen display space. When Transformers start to get stored with no intention of being displayed is where I draw the line.

What about you?

2. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

When one makes a decision that they have enough is when its enough! But can never have to many just enough.

3. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Basically, when your struggling with bills, and you are struggling with space.

4. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    That question has been posed many many times. As was stated before, if you can afford it, you have the space, and you still like to see them, keep on collecting. If any of those fail, then it's time to either stop or reevaluate your collection. I had to cut back myself due to both money and space, mostly space. I don't like having items sitting in a tote. I would rather have them out and displayed but that is my opinion. Some people put their collection out in sections and rotate. Too much trouble but it does count down on the dusting.

5. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Sorry. I did a search and didn't find any threads about it.
    If you have a link to one, please post it. I don't mind pursuing the discussion within a pre-existing one.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  6. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

Well, I can't tell you how many is too many, but I figure enough is enough when you:

-Go broke or dangerously close to broke buying Transformers
    -No longer desire to collect Transformers and just buy on impulse

I understand how space is an issue for collectors with large sums of Transformers, having to pass on certain Transformers because they didn't have the shelf space, and I've heard that some have had to sell off portions of their collection to make room. I on the other hand have around about 50 or so, so I don't have to worry about this. I figure I'll never have to sell of part of my collection because I'm just not going to let it get that big. If I DID let my collection get big, and I noticed that my room was becoming crowded with Transformers, I'd put my collection on hold until I could find space, or make space.

I display a handful of transformers at a time and swap them out every few days or so to let evryone shine. I transform everyone regularly because I think it's fun, and I continue to love my hobby. I'm awaiting my stores to recieve Generations Soundwave. :D 

In the end, it's your call.

7. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    No I was saying a discussion that has been around. Nothing recent or anything. It's a problem that all of us face eventually.

8. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

You can never have one too many Transformers!

I don't have much room in my bedroom to display all of my TFs, and therefore end up having to put the bulk of my collection in Rubbermaid tubs. Still, that doesn't stop me from continuing to collect more; I just now focus on the toy-lines and the figures that appeal to me most.

9. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Ok cool :) 

10. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I used to struggle with this question all the time. When I had my own apartment, I stuffed it with transformers. Living, dining, closet, bedroom... you name it. I had a ton but it was just to much in my opinion and I honestly felt disgusted with the amount of toys I had.

I don't want to be on a TLC program called "Transformer Hoarders":D . So I sold almost all of it and now have 1 bookshelf dedicated to all my Transformers.

If your beginning to feel boxed in, sell some of that stuff. It was hard for me, but once you start selling... it gets a lot easier. I mean come on, you can probably look at your toys now and say "Hmm...I could sell _____ and I wouldn't even notice".:2c: 

My first round of cuts left me only with MP, Henkei, Victory, Alternity, BW and a few G1 toys.

In the second round... I cut a lot of the BW figures I wasn't in love with.

Next Round.... not sure what i'll do:confused: 

11. Nez Pierce

Nez Pierce @evildanish

News Credits:
    when I haven't displayed them for three years, have no desire to fiddle with them, and largely just want to see them go to homes where they'd be more appreciated. I've reached that point with some of my collection and am being a bit more choosy going forward. The two movies really turned a manageable collection into something of an albatross. I'm slimming it down slowly but surely. Very slowly, actually. But to slim it down at all is progress in the right direction.
    That having been said, you'll always find room for really cool stuff.
    Like MP Grimlock.

12. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I recently went through a revelation on my collecting habit, and have decided that I've too many transformers. Mostly it's thanks to having too many to display, having too many stored, and too many I don't care about anymore.

So I'm selling most, and only keeping those that truly matter to me.
    My current dilemma is on whether I should keep my animated collection or try to sell on...

13. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    For me it will be at the point where I can no longer cleanly display them the way I want to (which I am far from). I really don't want to have toys packed away all over the place if I know I will never have a chance to display them at some point (ie create more room, plan to move into bigger house). I can't imagine how your collection looks Junkie, everytime I look at the "most recent purchase" thread you have something new. I know who to consult when I get the scratch to get some rare stuff.

14. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    I hope you don't mean me... I'm just gonna tell you: "Buy it!!" :p 

15. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

when either one; i have them all, or two, i am dead.

:D 

16. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

My wife has asked me this question in the past,and if I ever can come up with an answer,I'll let her know.Space isn't a problem with me,but if it ever came down to having to keep them in storage,I would stop collecting them.I can't see spending all that money on them and then keeping them in a plastic container.

17. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

I'm gonna say...1000+
    ;) 

18. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    :lol  Yeah, that's about right.

19. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

He who dies with the most toy's wins. There, happy now? :D 

20. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My collection has mostly Prime and Autobots..only a few Decepticons..usually because it's a unusual mold, etc..and the majority are MISB..easier to keep clean and displayed. However, I agree, if space and $$ are hard to come by..then reduce your collection or stop buying for awhile..you just have to use..wait for it... common sense :D