How many G1 TF's were original?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by RedHeadKevin, Jan 21, 2010.

1. RedHeadKevin

RedHeadKevin Well-Known Member

Here's a question I thought of the other day: How many of the original Generation 1 Transformer toys were made specifically for the Transformers toy line? Most of them were originally from some Japanese toyline, Microman, Diaclone, etc. How many of the original molds were made specifically as ORIGINAL Transformers characters?

2. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The majority were original - I think that pretty much everything after the '86 movie (discounting Ultra Magnus and some minibot repaints/retools) was new stuff, which makes up the bulk of the line.

3. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Just about everything '87 on. Most of the '86 figures were still the older Takara figures, like Metroplex and all of the combiner set released that year.

The only new toys in '86 were the ones of main movie characters, except Ultra Magnus, and I think the Battlechargers.

4. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

all the neon, and multicolored ones! :p 

5. GreenScream

GreenScream Neo G1 Collector

News Credits:
    The movie figures(Hot Rod, Kup, Galvatron, Cyclonus, etc.) from the 86' line were designed as Transformer toys. The stuff released before and during that were Diaclone and Microman.

6. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

Essentially what Hobbes-timus Prime said. :) 

It's hard to know for sure, though. Everything from the first two waves of Transformers was repackaged Diaclone or Microman stuff or toys that were licensed and intergrated into the line from other companies such as Takatoku/Bandai or Toybox. I do know that Metroplex and most of the original G1 "Scramble City" combiners - specifically the Aerialbots, Stunticons, Protectobots, and Combaticons - were unreleased toys originally designed as part of the Diaclone line before it was discontinued and the focus was shifted from it to the Transformers line. Check out the following entry on TFWiki for more information:

Diaclone - Transformers Wiki

7. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Metroplex was made during the diaclone era? Weird....... I've never seen a boxed diaclone metroplex?

EDIT: Whoops, didn't read Lunar Archivist post. So was Trypticon designed during the Diaclone era as well?

8. ChrisW

ChrisW Well-Known Member

I know the 1984 minibots (Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Brawn, Wincharger, Huffer, and Gears) were all originally from the MicroChange line. What about the 1985 minibots? Warpath, Powerglide, Seaspray, Beachcomber, etc. Were they MicroChange too?

9. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

Given that they're to scale with the original Autobot Mini Vehicles, it's possible that they were originally designed for the Micro Change line but never released.

Since Trypticon can also be connected to Motormaster and Onslaught's base forms like Metroplex, it's a definite possibility. However, the fact that combiner limbs can't directly be plugged into any apertures on his body and that the bases are linked him to via connectors - both as opposed to Metroplex - could be seen as evidence against this, but there's no real proof one way or another that I'm aware of.

10. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    So in that case - What were the last Diaclone/Microman molds to be released as TFs? There was Raiden in Headmasters & Browning in Masterforce but is that it? Was Deszaras released in any other line of toys? (I'm pretty sure I've seen a red Deszaras before...)

11. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    Deathsaurus WAS released in one of the Brave toylines, but that was after being released as a TF. Same goes for Dai Atlas and Sonic Bomber.

There were also characters modeled after the Dinobots and Scorponok.

12. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    The '85 Minibots are the first real designed for Transformers line Transformers. The original hardcopies were owned by a board member here who recently sold them to pay for his wedding/marriage. There's also concept art and other details that further prove that they don't have previous origins.

When you get to Scramble City, you run into a bit of a technical quagmire. Many of the designs predate Transformers by quite a bit, but there are also some significant changes which happened from concept to execution. Also, depending on your definition, as pointed out, they were first released in Transformers, there weren't any Diaclone versions which may satisfy the topic, but since they weren't thought up by Transformers designers but were refined by them, it's a gray area to be sure. Heck, the team leaders were all supposed to have a launching mechanism in them, some remnants of which can be seen, further showing their pre-TF origins in design, if not execution.

There are also some gray areas with some figures like The Battlechargers, whose patent was originally filed in 1985 meant that they were in the design stages well before that. So what line was it originally in development for? We don't know. In the same boat is oddly enough, Punch/Counterpunch.

From the '86 lineup excluding Ultra Magnus and pretty much all the rest of the movie cast are new. The Autobot mini-cassettes, the Autobot Triple Changers, the Autobot cars, Rodimus Prime and Wreck-Gar. Ratbat, The Predacons, Gnaw and Octane, Decepticon planes and Galvatron are all new.

From '87 on, you're looking at new molds.