Customs: How Making Customs TFs Has Changed Your Views on TFs Made . . .

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Superquad7, May 23, 2008.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I thought it fun to start a topic on this subject. A prerequisite of this thread is that one would have to have at least one project completed before posting. Since that is most of us here, I feel that's a safe presupposition to put forth for all of us who want to post.

Do you appreciate the products Hasbro and/or TakaraTomy create more? Less? Are you disappointed that there aren't more paint applications on the toys you buy, or are you simply glad that sculpt is there for you paint later? Has the lack of a product prompted you to create something on your own? What different approaches do you implement based on these things? Do you wait on a factory to produce something for you, or do you go ahead and "do your own thing?"

Radicons, customize!

Attached Files:

2. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    For me it's the basic product or "series" they seem to come out with over the last couple of years or so.
    Alternators brought me back into TFs in 2003 and into customizing in 2007 but now they're gone.
    I don't know what it is but I haven't really been interested in anything at retail stores since the Alt. demise.
    I have never bought any movie toys, they don't interest me at all.
    Classics are great, well most of them.
    MP's are too cool, give me MP's any day !...but lack of retail product is a huge bummer.
    Animated is OK.
    ^^^ IMO^^^

So I guess what I'm saying is...without Alts and lack of MP's at retail, I feel I'm losing interest in TF toys in general.
    I have very limited space for any toys and without Alts & MP's I'm not willing to make space for the stuff that's out there now.
    I'd buy 3 of the same Alt or MP just to have something to customize down the road.
    So for me it's not necessarily about paint apps/details, it's about whether or not the action figures themselves are worthy, if it's not an Alt, MP or a decent Classic I aint buying it, period.

3. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I guess I like the design of most toys more than the paint apps, especially for a lot of returning G1 characters. I started collecting again with Armada, but Cybertron got me repainting them. With so much coming out later this year, I can use a break in merchandise, simply to save up. With Animated, Classics and a slew of exclusives, I'll need all the help I can get.

When the TFTM toys dropped, I said to myself "I don't think I'll paint any of these". Boy, was I wrong.. And even though I haven't seen to many TF Animated figures I'm crazy about, I KNOW I'll be repainting that Ultra Magnus at least once.

4. JOHNDILLINGA

JOHNDILLINGA This Space For Rent!

News Credits:
    I have a few finished just haven't had time to do dedicated pics of everything yet.

I've done some customs here and there before the Alt line which now has the most customs in my collection, and Im still looking to make more.

Like many I wasn't happy about the 3 missing seekers in Classics so I made my own plus many others and remedied the Magnus's short comings in My Classic's Ultra Magnus (atleast untill the upgrade armor comes).

While sometimes I think Hasbro goes overboard on detailing, there's been (mosty) some figures that had no detailing at all or design a figure that is an obvious homage but they go completely left field when painting it which normally means im breaking out the paints and brushes to fix something...

In terms of the lines I usually only buy the characters from the show itself unless I feel a repaint vibe from a non show figure, example: Movie Stockade, Longarm Payload & Drop Kick have all become Trailbreaker, Hoist, Bombshell & Kickback I may do Shrapnel out of the Swindle/Camshaft mode but my creativity for the line has wained...

If i had to choose I would stay with Customizing Alts and Classics. Animated maybe the first line I skip since G-2.

5. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Sometimes they baffle me, do Hasbro. I'm never quite sure why they so obviously homage something, and don't go the whole hog, so that's often where I take my figs. Or, like AX and JD, I find they've made a really cool fig, but they've slacked on the detailing, so I take the brushes to them to spruce them up.

Now I've taken up 'bashing, I'm much more apt to look beyond the existing fig and figure out how I can make it better.

I'm loving the Classics stuff, and tend to stick with that kind of aesthetic, so they and Cybertron figs are the most suitable for bashing for me. I've mostly avoided the movie figs, but a couple (like Longarm and Stockade) have found their way into my kitbashing pile.

6. chlokai

chlokai Well-Known Member

before i started bashing i would look for a figure to use as someone else, an example being i bought cyb deluxe unicron to be bludgeon in my collection, but since starting to customise tf's i have started to look for gaps in my collection and find a figure i could use to make them, i didn't own cyb clocker, breakdown or eng skyblast but got them specifically to make into insecticons.

i'm a classic fan so am very excited about the new figures being released and have already thought of a few ideas. on that note i might post a few and see what you think!!!

7. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Very much a fan of the Alternators and Classics, and like many of you I'm filling in the lines with characters they didn't bother to make. I'm not going to get many of the Animated (probably just Prowl and BA), especially with Universe on the way.

I'm quite excited for the return of BT, especially if it means new molds. I've wasted both of my S2000's so I might get Arcee, and if that's a new Nissan GTR or 350Z, I'm so going to get one and make into a G1 Smokescreen (again).

8. plastic surgery

plastic surgery Well-Known Member

Classics Starscream was the figure that got me back into Transformers. I remember seeing him for the first time and really amazed by how much improvements in articulation and details Hasbro made since 1984. I touch up the figure with panel lining, highlights to the face and changed the wings design to match his G1 counterpart. Since then, I've touched up almost every Classics figure I own. I was amazed by the amount of sculpting details Hasbro put in these figures. While I prefer more paint details to my figures I don't like excessive details on the TF movie figures. I guess there in lies the beauty of this hobby, you can make a factory release ideal to your personal preference.

In terms of customs, I had a couple of projects plan, but will probably take a wait and see approach with the Universe line coming back. I want "updates" to my favorite characters and Hasbro seems to be doing a good job of that ... I really like the updates of Sunstreaker, Prowl and Ironhide. I was working on an Ultra Magnus, but the upgrade kit will save me a lot of time. The figure I want most right now is a Shockwave to stand next to my Jetfire and haven't not figured out what his "updated" alternate form should be, a big old gun, stationary space cannon or the WW tank design. I also wants Brawn to go next to Cliffjumper. They were my favorite minibots since they often got beat up by the Decepticons.

9. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Surj, if you fancy it, you could always nab an Energon Shockblast to stand in as Shockwave. Regards the robot mode design, he's all the way there, the only real mods you might want to make are on the arms - the left arm is a big blocky cannon, and the right arm has a claw hand. There've been several solutions used to fix that, though, if you look around for ideas. Lick of paint and he's done. He's got a futuristic tank mode, and also a sort of satellite relay station. There's also a few fanmodes for a gun form floating around.

10. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

Having done kitbashes (none posted here, mind you, but I assure you I've done quite a few in my day) makes me appreciate the official stuff a lot more, because they're working on such a massive scale. It's easy to produce a one-off project with hyper-detailed paint and sculpting and articulation, because you don't have to worry about going "over budget." Overseeing an entire line of toys, start to finish, accounting for sculpting, articulation, paint, packaging and all the other aspects of the process is a huge deal.

I guess that's why I'm always kind of amused when people use "This is how Hasbro should have done it!" as a compliment. Hasbro totally could crank out stuff on this level, but they'd have to charge for it accordingly. To me, saying "that looks like a production piece" is pretty much the biggest compliment you can give, because the level of effort required to produce a finished, official, toy is so massive, and, generally speaking, the quality of a finished toy is so high (there are always some stinkers, but you know what I mean).

11. Superquad7

News Credits:
    ***pssssst!!!!!*** Post 'em here! :wink:  :thumb 

12. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

Hahahah. I haven't done a real start-to-finish kitbash in... man, four years or so. As it stands, they're all boxed up for starters, and not that great for seconds. I've done a little repainting lately, but that's about it. Hasbro's been pretty good at keeping me happy.

13. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I bet they're better than you're giving credit to yourself for. (this is pretty much 100% fact for all customizers)

14. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I refrained from initially posting some of my own thoughts because I am more interested in what you guys have to say. :) 

I'll just insert here that creating my own customs has given me a great deal of gratitude for what Hasbro and TakaraTomy have produced. I feel that they pack a whole heap of a lot in to [most times] very small packages. Take a G1 toy even and just look at some of the detail and engineering that is placed into it. I've always known (even as a kid) that Transformers weren't the cheapest toys in the world, but I've always felt that I get a lot for what I pay for.

These movie toys that came out this past year really shine here. There's just a lot of bang packed into each toy. We get some great toys and I'm very thankful for each toy I'm able to own :) 

15. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

well i am new to kit bashing transformers but i have been doing the art almost my whole life with model kits and ceramics. nothing i have posted here has really impressed anyone because it is all stuff that has been done before.

anyways on with the subject:

. i agree with s7's above comment about takara products. If you do not like the movie toys please at least get the bumble bee concept camero or cliffjumper version before you swear them off completely. this little guy is the reason i decided to start bashing. that and i was totally board with model kits. right now the only lines i appreciate are g1 and movie,BUT this does not mean i have swore off the other lines just have not got to them yet. i am especially interested in re shelling an alt. however i am waiting until i finish about ten or more projects i have in mind. MP is amazing to me. i have seen some energon and armada i like as well . beast wars is not my thing just not into it. well thats my 2 cents