How low can our standards go?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Superion33, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

I am going to write this based of the movie being only a popcorn movie. I will not hold it to the bare minimum of plot, characterization, story, dialogue, etc. We can toss that out the window. Lets just focus on this movie as just a random amalgam of scenes unconnected to the previous scenes.

So, as a popcorn movie, are people REALLY happy with Skids and Mudflap? Honestly - are you guys truly happy with them? Was it necessary for them to be stereotyped to the extreme - goatees, gold tooth, bug eyes, etc? Did that add something good to their characterization? Was their stereotyped ghetto-slang really necessary?

Honestly - did you guys like the direction they went with them? Do you think that robots that looked somewhat normal could have achieved what they achieved without acting or talking like clowns?

Are you satisfied with the toilet humor? Is that the best kind of humor for this movie? That the TF movie has toilet humor because thats the kind of humor that TF fans like? That TF fans must like the same humor thats in Beavis and Butthead?

Farting robots?
    Dogs humping?
    Close up butt shots of an old man?
    A robot humping a girl's leg?
    Robo-testicles?

What about the juvenille humor?

Mouse trap sight gags?
    Mom getting stoned off a brownie?

What about the inconsistencies in the robots?

Grindor as a replacement for Blackout. Was that really necessary? Its the same exact shape as Blackout - why not just USE the name Blackout?

Why not just have Sidewasy have been Barricade? As a toy commercial - this was a good idea. As a movie - this was a horrible idea that made the movie what it really is - a toy commercial.

Was having multiple Constructicons really necessary when Devastator was already formed? How lazy is that to not just animate random protoforms instead of re-using Constructicons?

Was the Matrix even necessary? Was the sun killing weapon really even necessary? Heck, was the fallen even necessary? Think about it - the first movie had Megatron - and that was enough. Do we really need stupid MacGuffins? Is a giant race of transforming robots not enough? Do we really need to add all this other stuff? Just keep it simple.

Did Bumblebee really have to be mute again? I mean - c'mon. Is he going to be mute for the rest of his life? Will he be mute for TF3? Whats so wrong if he speaks?

People on these boards really need to contemplate if they were happy with the movie as it currently is. Because you will get the exact same thing for TF3. Do you honestly want more toilet humor like this?

This is even before looking at stuff like plot. I don't think the TF franchise can yet attempt to find a plot before fixing the stuff like the toilet humor.

2. mentat_emre

mentat_emre Well-Known Member

I like them, they were very funny.
    God no, they weren't funny at all.
    İ liked them a lot, especially mom getting stoned off a brownie
    i agree.
    I think it is ok.
    Thats what make bb uniqe for me.
    Again im not happy with the toilet humor.

3. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The hate in this forum is out of control. Get over yourselves. It's a movie. Nothing more, nothing less.

4. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    The toilet humor is neither here nor there for me really, it's marginally less than any other recent comedy that's come out.

Now as for wheelie humping mikaela's leg. I laughed my ass off at that, and eventually will have that as an avatar or sig.

All in all, as a popcorn flick, it did it's job. As the next installment in these series of flicks, it's openned tons more doors, and yes leg humping wheelie is one of them. I'm pretty well satisfied with the movie. Just want TF3 already since TF2 used stall tactics to deny us more bot characterization.

My standards aren't low, I just have a fertile imagination and see the possibilities. That is one thing this movie is ripe with. It is by no means a childs film. Heck most children might get freaked out by some of the scenes. This is a real world epic that's building. War is hell, it's dirty, chaotic, lewd and destructive. There's a reason that the term 'talks like a sailor' exists. So this movie-verse is doing fine. It's just not child's fare. This is what if these alien creatures actually existed.
    Including the stall tactics of politicians only authorized to speak with prime which opens more doors for later too.

5. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know this is pointless, but I have time to kill while eating my supper, so...

- Agreed, someone needs to reign in the "humor" in the next movie. But, seriously, each of those bits (save the painfully drawn-out brownie thing) was 10, 20 seconds at most...was it seriously that much of a problem?
    - Grindor - I may have missed it, but is the helicopter actually named anywhere in the course of the movie? Not in the credits, but in the course of the story? If not, just ignore what the credits say and pretend he's a reborn Blackout. Even if he's not, the TF franchise has a long history of identical characters with slightly different paint jobs.
    - Using Sideways - I would have preferred a little more screen time for him, but I can only imagine how much people would have bitched if a major character like Barricade had survived the first movie only to die so quickly in this one. Ie - Like Scorponok surviving TF1 and then returning only to die a few seconds later in this one.
    - Another thing the TF franchise has is a long history of stupid MacGuffins. Energon cubes, the Matrix of Leadership, stasis pods, Minicons, Planet Keys, Allspark key, Allspark fragments, etc. I'm not keen on it either, but it's not like this is the first iteration of TFs to involve a stupid MacGuffin.

6. jonatron26

jonatron26 Well-Known Member

its not farting its backfiring and is very common in older vehicles.
    wheelie had some fire come out but that was more like discharge.
    wheelie humping was too far.
    robo-gonads= meh
    was the fallen and matrix necessary? not unless you want to watch the first movie again
    old man ass crosses the line. i threw up all over the theater.

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    liar. drama queen.

8. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

My intelligence was insulted every minute of this film. :\

And the only people in the theater I was in who were praising it were also driving home in cars that looked like Skids or Mudflap. I am officially out of the target demographic for Transformers lol

9. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A few notes:

10. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    Is all your bitching and moaning necessary?

11. BHB

BHB Well-Known Member

I cringed when I saw the thong shot. There is seriously never any reason for that, especially in a mainstream kiddie orientated film.

12. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    The only thing kid oriented about this film, is the fact toys are made from it.

The rating is pg-13, and everything else screams teens to adult about this movie. Why everyone wants to say it's some kiddie fanfare is beyond me. It wasn't made for kids at all. If you want to take your kids to see it, good for you, that's your choice, just know it wasn't intended for them and you should see it first to make sure it's stuff you would let your kids see. Ya know, actually BE a parent.

That being said, I flinched at the thong on the IMax screen too. But everything else was dead on perfect for now. Many upon many open doors to explore better now.

13. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thong shot?

14. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    Simmons disrobing and changing for the museum 'heist'.

15. Terrorcon Blot

Terrorcon Blot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How low can our standards go?

Well, people actually like "All Hail Megatron"...

16. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ugh...

17. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I liked juvenile humor before Transformers movies, I never had a problem with plots using McGuffings before the movie and I enjoyed over the top character designs in other franchises before Tranformers.

Why would I have a problem with all that just because it's Transformers?

18. TIE Bomber

TIE Bomber Banned

Just remove everything. From now just show the opening credits & the closing credits, nothing more! These days nobody likes movies. Everybody is negative. Everybody hates everything. Nobody has a sense of humor or an imagination anymore. Every movie that comes out is torn apart frame by frame. And instead of just sitting back & enjoying the show every feels the need to be a friggin critic (the most useless job ever created). So just skip the movie from now on, watch the credits, go home & SHUT THE **** UP!!!

19. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

I didn't mind any of those things. It fits the style that the first movie already set up. By the way, Bumblebee's voice is messed up again because Starscream shot his neck in the ROTF prequel comic.

20. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Skids and Mudflap had a few good moments, but overall, they were quite annoying and I would have gladly accepted 90% of their screen time being replaced with Sideswipe and Springer (seeing as he was cut from the film).

Toilet humor is alright with me if used properly - just like ANY kind of humor. Devy's balls were fine with me because it was a 5 second sight gag, but stuff like Wheelie's Auto-hump wasn't needed. The Judy meets the brownie scene was pretty funny to me at least.

The sideways/barricade thing? that's really insignificant. Is it a rule that NO decepticon must survive the conflict? Why exactly is it a terrible move for Sideways to be a wholly new character and for Barricade to have gotten away?

I'll concede the Matrix and Fallen ideas, they were handled rather badly.

Why is it bad that Bumblebee speaks? Plenty of characters in film are/become disabled, does that make them bad characters? Frankly, Bumblebee's radio being his voice worked for me in both movies.