How long until the next, next generation?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by misterd, May 17, 2006.

1. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

I know, I know. I should wait for the next generation to fully arrive before looking foward, but there are certain things that have me wondering.

We typically saw about 5 year between consoles, and then got new consoles that were, essentially, just upgrades over their predecessors.

This time, though, I wonder if the Wii will change the pattern.

Let's imagine, for a moment, that the Wii is successful. A big IF at this stage, but necessary.

The Wii will completely change the way people play games. How long before gamers start demanding Wii-style controls on their XBoxes and Playstations?

Similarly, the Wii hardware has often been referred to as a "half" upgrade over the the GCN. At some point, will its fans demand a console with the pretty graphics of the 360 and PS3, especially if they add a Wii-style controller?

I wonder then if Nintendo's revolution will end up cutting short this generation, forcing the 360 and PS3 to come up with new, or at least modified, versions of their systems, which in turn might force Nintendo to release a console with more hefty specs.

Let us not foget the HD/BR format wars. If one of these goes down quickly (2-3 years), particulary BlueRay, won't there be some demand to change the consoles as well?

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Releasing a lot of major add-ons or the next generation of consoles too soon after their last one can backfire on a company. It's frequently thought of as one of the many factors in the downfall of Sega as a console developer.

3. misterd

Yes, but remember that Sony did sort of release a PS1.5 in order to include the Dual Shock.

I just see a lot of gambles that, depending on their results, may end up forcing premature alterations on the current systems.

4. gil

gil Godmaster

Yeah, it all depends on how successful the Wii is. Because, how much more graphically impresive can a PS4 or an Xbox 720 be over a PS3 and 360? And as nice the graphics are on the 360, it's only going to get better as the developers get used to the system and starts pushing it for all it's worth. And even if the PS4 is 5 times stronger then the PS3, you still need a game developer to put in the time and effort to use all that power. Which means, games may cost a lot.

So, if the Wii is successful, then the new Playstations and Xboxes will need to impliment all the Wii tech in the next gen, and the Wii will need a graphic upgrade. And if the Wii fails, then get ready to pay out the ass for the next gen systems, and pay out the ass for the games too.

5. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

You mean like a standard controller, a shot-gun shell, a nunchuck add-on, and a history of redesigning their products not that long after release, even after promising not to? :wink: 

In all seriousness though, I think the Wii will get along fine ok with it's graphics. No one is expecting anything amazing from it that way, it's the innovation that's driving the console. I think MSs lack of a HD-DVD drive might come to bite them in the ass eventually, if/when developers end up filling DVD discs in the next 4-5 years, as it's a console that's fighting Sony in the battle of eye candy.

I certainly hope the next-next gen of consoles is far off, my wallet cries every time a new one is released.

6. misterd

In fairness, the Wii has preannounced all those add ons, and they should be available soon after launch, so not quite the same as Sega's follies.

As for the multitude of portable upgrades, I think its Lucas Syndrome. Release a product, but withold what fans want (color, backlight, etc) for a later upgrade. The gamers will curse you before, but thank you after.

I started playing Mario Sunshine for the second time recently. You know what? The graphics are fine for me. How much better can we get than RE4? Given the frantic action in most games, its not like any of us really get to appreciate the very minute details. So I'm fine with the marginal graphic upgrade, but that'll be harder for N to justify if Sony and MS bring out their own Wii.

In 4 to 5 years, the current console war will be over, and we'll be talking about the XBox 920.

True for many of us, especially multiple console owners. I thank Nintendo for trying to keep the cost down. Sony on the other hand...

7. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Very true, and we end up eating it all up and asking for more.