How long to wait before PayPal dispute?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spawn77, May 30, 2012.

1. Spawn77

Spawn77 U.S. Marine

I’m curious as to what everyone’s opinions are for an acceptable wait time before filing a dispute.

I’ve recently purchased an item and communication from the seller has been shaky at best, with a few of my messages receiving only a short sentence promising it would "ship tomorrow" in reply. Other messages went completely ignored. The check cleared a week ago and the item has not been sent and no reason for delay has been given.

Am I just being too paranoid? Should I give it another week or two? Keep messaging the seller? I don't want to be annoying if there is no problem but I've been burned in the past and I do worry about my money.

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Give him an ultimatum, give him a week to respond to the ultimatum, then file a dispute I guess. What's the limitation on disputes?

3. Spawn77

Spawn77 U.S. Marine

I think it's 45 days, I'll have to double check.

Thanks

4. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    I believe you have to try resolving shit for at least a week, but that's plenty of time for anyone to respond to a message of any kind. Also unless you need to (which paypal might make you do still), I wouldn't give them any more than 48 hours to reply to your final contact attempt, and there better be a damn good reason for why they've waited a week to send out the item.

5. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    With shipping, I'd give the guy a week. If you can't ship an item during that time frame, you shouldn't be selling on eBay.

I understand things happen in life but a week is enough time.

6. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Honestly, I wouldn't wait at all on a dispute. A dispute is something to get attention, and a claim is what's escalated and can effect paypal accounts. If, after filing a dispute, you can't come to a resolve, escalate it to a claim and let paypal take care of it. Protect yourself, because obviously the seller's already got his part of the bargain once he's been paid.