how long should a TF's continuity/generation last?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by gregles, Dec 21, 2011.

1. gregles

gregles quintesson

in the comic fiction idw's universe seems set to last longer than the original g1 marvel one, but given that it has taken so many creative shifts sometimes totally forgetting whole events or character development that have taken place earlier and lazily writing them back in it often feels a little like several different continuity's stitched together with the creators getting creative restlessness roughly every 2 or 3years.

In the cartoons work on transformers prime season 3 has already began and at this rate it could beat the 3 and a bit season limit which seems too hit most transformers cartoons and despite all the characters dying (again) the 4th film given the money behind it seems pretty unstoppable too.

How long do you feel a piece of transformers fiction should last? is it healthy for a franchise and its stories to metaphorically shed its skin every now and then or do you feel cheated?

I personally think it depends on the type of stories they wan't to tell and whether they have enough time to resolve them. as dreamwave comics had lots of slow burning story arch's left unresolved so it seems unfair it had to end like it did. idw to start with also had slow burning story arch's but in revelation and maximum dinobots of idw it really felt like they had to rush the storylines to completion to make way for the all hail megatron story arch. I would like to see more of animated, G1 and beast wars for my own entertainment but I do feel satisfied with there conclusions enough to not pine for them too much. What do you think?

2. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Agreed. It should just be able to tell a good story and wrap up all the loose ends, while also being true to whatever the original premise is.

3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    A generation should last as long as its toys keep selling.

As for the IDW continuity, as long as people want to keep reading it. I don't think there needs to be any kind of limit on it as long as IDW isn't in danger of losing the license.

You have to expect tonal shifts when the creative teams change, but the overall stories and characters can continue.

But yeah, it is weird to think we are only a couple years away from IDW having the license longer than Marvel. A little longer if you count G2.

4. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    As long as everything still is working out. That would be ratings, toy profits, and keeping the cast/staff together.

Like the DCAU, it was around over ten years and we got several great shows and characters. We could easily have Prime and several other strong series under one story universe too.

5. gregles

gregles quintesson

I fully accept tonal shifts in the fiction as it could get really boring and stale if they wanted to tell the same type of story over and over again. I do think even without us realising it we have a slight double standard in the way we judge and view the comics and cartoons tho, as some of the liberties idw have taken in these shifts aren't that dis-similar in scale between the changes taken between beast wars and beast machines and look at how negatively fandom reacted. Its kind of understandable imagine tuning into transformers prime season 2 to see soundave talking loads with a comedic catchphrase, bulkhead oddly missing and bumblebee looking like a cross between his g1 and animated appearance, I think fandoms bad reaction would break the internet

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    3-5 years has been the trend for a while, and I think that's a pretty good length.

7. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    as long as it has to to feel complete, but not too long as to get stale (see bayformers, 3 was a good number, 4 and 5? better be a reboot, the story is finished, and the characters dead, any more and it seems tacked on imo)

8. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    The Cartoons: a few years.

The movies: It's over...i'm sorry but it's over.

9. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I think they should take a page from the Dr Who play book. One long continuous story, with a "regeneration" every few years to keep it fresh ( as well as giving an excuse for new toys ). But everyone would be the same character still and past events would not be forgotten.

10. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    26-52 episodes or until the series story is done. i like how the unicron trilogy was divided for the most part. have gaps inbetween each series allowing for characters to change during the gaps and maybe new ones come in and it will feel natural. like between headmasters and master force and victory some time had passed and things happened, and they may be involved in the story but it doesnt define the story altogether. if they focused as much on telling the story rather and just selling a toy(s).

perhaps certain toyline might have done better had they had a cartoon with them. like the PCC toyline might have done better if they had a series, this would of coarse had resulted in more BB and OP on the shelves but even still.

im also entertained by any series really, i mean i enjoyed each 1 for what it was or is.

on a final thought, maybe with each new TF series, we should get some writters who know little to nothing about the series, look at what it did for beastwars. those guys didnt know anything about transformers, and it has the best story and most memorable characters outisde of G1.

11. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I like long lived universes. I wouldn't be opposed to a series run for 10 years or more as long as it's good.

Part of the reason the continuous reboots make me sad is that it always resets to the same point. I want to experience stories before and after Optimus as the Prime. I want to experience stories that have nothing to do with the Prime.

All that said, someone kill the movies please. Lets reboot that sucker.

12. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Tyrese?

13. Underhead

Underhead Zamboni-bot

Very simple answer to this:
    Until every last transformer in the continuity is dead.
    Until that point, there is still more stories involving transformers to be told in that continuity.

14. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    This or even something like Star Trek where it's all one timeline and universe but with different characters.