How long have you been a fan of Marvel and what was your first experience about it?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by UltraAlanMagnus, Jul 10, 2012.

1. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus Page D'Ecriture Spy Cousin Jeice

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Continuing Off from our fandom of comic books, after our history about our fandom of DC, it's time for Marvel.

To Start off, I am still going to talk about my Parents. My Mother enjoyed the 1970's Incredible Hulk Tv Series, as well as my Dad. But still, My Mom did not told me about did he enjoyed Marvel As well, even though he was a huge Science Fiction fanatic.

So my Backstory about Marvel is like this. I once saw some old TV Commericals featuring some Marvel Characters, as well that I watched the 1960's Fantastic Four Cartoon. Next, I played a Demo for Math-Themed Marvel Computer Games. My time I was first Exposed to other Marvel Characters. Then I once read a comic featuring The X-Men vs The Fantastic Four. Later, after we saw the first X-men film, I watch Evolution, I Enjoyed that as well. Even the 1990's Spider-Man Cartoon. Way after that, I did saw the first Spider-Man film, and My Dad enjoyed that as well. For me, X-Men & Fantastic Four came first before Spider-Man, Hulk, Iron Man, Silver Surfer & of course, Deadpool.

So yeah, that's my Backstory about my Marvel Fandom. It's kinda sad that Marvel is a letdown to me though. What with the history of the company I learned about during most of my free time. Even though the "Marvel Now!" relaunch seems like an solution, I just hope that it will live up to the huge popularity from the 1990s-2000s.

Make sure all GI Joe & Transformers Comics are Excluded in this tread just in case.

2. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    GIJoe 126

I was at waldenbooks and say the GIJoe comic. I always loved GIJoe and decided, what the heck? I got it and was hooked.

3. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus Page D'Ecriture Spy Cousin Jeice

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Ah Waldenbooks. Good Times.

4. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Excluding the TF comics here...

My first exposure to the Marvel Universe was the "Maximum Carnage" arc in Spider-Man. I thought Venom and Carnage were pretty cool, picked up some earlier Venom appearances and followed Venom through his never-ending 90s miniseries run. I kept up with the Spider-Man titles for awhile hoping for more Venom and Carnage, but almost dropped them when they hit a patch where Spider-Man turned into a whiny emo douche. But Ben Reilly showed up at around the same time and I liked him, so I kept collecting the Spider books. I tried a few other Marvel books at the time, but didn't find anything else I liked beyond the "Age of Apocalypse" arc, so I started collecting the two main X-Men comics around that time. I dropped the X-Men stuff after Onslaught, because I wasn't enjoying them and was having trouble keeping track of all the characters (and their alternate reality/future/past/present versions). I stuck with the Spider-Man titles through the end of the Clone Saga, even though they'd gotten terrible by that point, just to see how it all turned out. Since then, I haven't read much of anything from Marvel. The only stuff I can think of off the top of my head is Marvel Zombies, which was good until they ran it into the ground, and Nextwave, which I didn't enjoy as much as I'd expected. One of my all-time favorite comics (Ruins) was from Marvel, though.

Outside of comics, my main exposure to the characters was the 90s Spider-Man cartoon, which was an excellent show in the early seasons. They really need to get that out on DVD at some point.

5. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think I was around 9 or 10 when I got in to Marvel. Specifically the X-Men. I'm guessing it was because of the cartoon. That went on to collecting the trading cards, then being a comic nut. I hunted some of the rarer comics in my early teens. I remember driving all around SoCal to find the first issue of Wolverine. I still have many of the mini series.

6. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

The Incredible Hulk #350
    Bought it from the rack at Food World when I was little back in the 80's. It was awesome.
    Grey Hulk vs Thing
    Thing vs Cosmic/Robot Green Hulk
    Dr Doom.
    I've read that book sooooo many times over the years. The 80s Incredible Hulk cartoon got me hooked onthe Hulk. That comic gave me a lifetime fondness for the Grey Hulk plus got me hooked on comics for life. I'll always be a Marvel fan. I try to read DC but they've never had the same appeal to me as Marvel and I doubt they ever will.

7. solarstorm

solarstorm Well-Known Member

When I was little, I used to pick up whatever looked interesting at the local mini-mart's comic rack.

A lot of my early exposure came from video games. I would play them and let the appearances, powers, etc... draw me in. I played the X-men arcade game regularly and owned a Spiderman game for the gameboy.

The Spiderman game was the first place I saw Mysterio - he was the level 1 boss and his tactics/appearance really intrigued me. Similarly, my first experiences with Nightcrawler and Colossus were from the Xmen arcade game - they stood out as well and pulled me in.

When the 90s-ish Marvel cartoons aired on TV, I never missed an episode. I also owned VHS tapes of several X-men episodes, action figures, etc... Surprisingly enough, my favorite series wound up being Iron Man. Granted, my love of TFs probably provided an inclination towards anything quasi-robotic.

8. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    What If Spider-Man Joined the Fantastic Four.
    Ever since, I've LOVED the What If series and have been a Marvel fan in general.

9. SideswipePrime

SideswipePrime Reply Dump Extraordinaire

Gosh...it's really hard to pinpoint exactly when I became a fan of Marvel, since as a kid I've always loved Marvel, mostly Spider-Man, I want to say the first Spider-Man movie is when I really got into Marvel, since I was only 6 years old when it came out

10. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I never really had the money for comics when I was growing up, but I eagerly watched the cartoons in the 90s. Spider-Man, Iron Man, X-men and even the Fantastic Four. I pretty much dropped out of Marvel beyond the usual "whoa, those cartoons were like, totally, my childhood man" that people who indulge in nostalgia frequently find themselves taking part in.

The Spider-Man films came and went, I enjoyed them but was never that crazy about them. Everything changed when they brought my favourite hero, Iron Man, to the big screen. I started by reading the graphic novelisation of the film and then my wife bought me Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 for my birthday. I was struck by the sheer width and depth of the numbers and different types of characters. Sure I was familiar with the key cast, but who the hell was Spider-Woman, Iron Fist, Maria Hill, Luke Cage, Miss Marvel and Deadpool to name but a few? I wanted to learn more, so I picked up a load of the Civil War collections given that I was already familiar with the basic story. Now I am devouring Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes and working out where I want to take my comic book reading next.

11. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    It was a warm summer evening in ancient Greece... uh, I mean, I started reading Marvel comics around 1985 or 1986. I read Thor, Captain America, Spiderman, Iron Man and X-Men, later I watched the old Hulk-show on TV starring Lou Ferrigno and Bruce Bixby. The Marvel cartoons where always my favourites on saturday mornings. My favourite was X-Men, I still whistle the theme music every now and then. I love the electric guitars. One of the best themes of all time.

12. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Spidey n his amazing friends. That sealed it for me.

13. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I got into Marvel around the start of 2003 when I first saw reruns of 1970s The Incredible Hulk tv show with my parents. Even though the movie that came later that year sucked, I still really enjoyed that show. When I saw Spider-man 1 and 2 for the first time in about 2005, it rekindled my love of Marvel. Then that love grew even further in 2008 with the Iron Man movie and the Spectacular Spider-man cartoon. Nowadays, I will never miss a single MCU movie.

14. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First exposure "Spiderman And Friends" cartoon series (you know, the one with Ice Man).

In terms of actual comics, it was good old Marvel UK and their summer specials.

15. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    For me it was a host of things that lead to a culmination. I was aware of Marvel, and my much older cousin was huge into it. in...I think 92 or 93 Marvel released the Marvel Masterpiece Card line which my cousin collected. 2 things resulted from this. A) I could read a bunch of the character bios and B) I learned of a story called "Days of future past" a little research showed there was a comic shop in town which I picked up the trade for (Anyone else remember a time of 2 issue trades?) a few months later I picked up a copy of amazing Spider-man 367 which was the first story in an arc, then A few months later I picked up 373 which was the end, and the end showed Venom escaping! Venom! that cool spidey bad guy I've read about? so I grabbed 374....which lead to 375, and I don't know if any one else rememebrs amazing Spider-Man 375, but it was a book that lived up to expectations. if I was forced to give up all my comics but 1, it would be Amazing Spider-Man #375.

The Rest is history.

16. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When I was a little kid, someone gave me a Fantastic Four comic. The cover was red and they were all inside of a rocket. It was a 70's issue. For some reason, they retold their origin in that issue so it was a plus for me. It ended with them on the moon with some threat on the horizon. Never got the next issue so I don't know how it ended.

So because of this, I have always like Fantastic Four.

17. nathan_s82

nathan_s82 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I was a huge Marvel fan from the late 80s and early 90s, but have since jumped ship to DC since the last good story was the Onslaught Saga in 90s. The only Marvel I read is Uncanny X-Force, since it has ties the 90s Age of Apocalypse.

18. geerave

geerave Well-Known Member

X-MEN (1989) - YouTube.
    i was so pissed because this was on one morning in dinoriders time slot, but it blew my mind. a short time later i picked up my first comic (wolverine #23) and i was hooked on marvel for life ( well other then an embarassing spawn phase that i went through :D  )

19. Rdfnd1253

Rdfnd1253 Well-Known Member

This!! I got into reading and collecting when Marvel had Ben Reilly as the Scarlet Spider but then they killed off Ben Reilly and I never had anything to do with Marvel again, until recently. I saw they were having a scarlet spider series and teased Ben Reilly's return, so i started to buy into the new series only to find out its Kaine now trying his hand at redemption. I loveeeee this series, and though I am disappointed its not Ben Reilly, Kaine has grown on me and I still hold out hope they will bring back Ben some time soon! I really hope they do! =)He was and is the Spiderman I grew up respecting, at a time when Peter was whiney and annoying.

20. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Some random Spider-Man comic I picked up forever ago. Honestly I don't remember it all too well. I've been a Marvel fan considerably longer than I've been a DC fan.