How long have you been a fan of DC and what was your first experience about it?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by UltraAlanMagnus, Jul 5, 2012.

1. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus Page D'Ecriture Spy Cousin Jeice

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Since today is 4th of july, It's time we tell each other how long we've been fans of DC Comics. Which is of course, one the largest and most successful companies in the world of American comic books and related media. I will be doing my Marvel experience soon. You guys are going to like my back story about Marvel soon.

To Start off, I am going to talk about my Parents. My Mother was a fan of the 1960's Batman TV series, Superfriends, and The Shazam!/Isis Hour growing up. And my late father was just somewhat a fan of Science Fiction & possibly Comics. So maybe he did collect comics in youth then.

So my Backstory is like this. When I was 3 or 4, I went to see the Infamous Batman film "Batman & Robin" with my parents. I once had a Backpack based off of the film that I wore when I was in Pre-School. Then I watched their well known cartoons like Superfriends & Batman: The Animated Series on Toonami, then Superman: the Animated Series on Kids WB! I once had a home video of Batman Beyond that my Dad gave me when I was a kid. When I went to Borders back then, I read those DC Themed Children books, Once I had a Batman Beyond book that was Christmas themed, and I saw those comic book covers that you see on displays. Then Comes when Justice League aired back in 2001. My Dad also loved the show. Shamed that he did not see JLU, because he died in 2002. :( 

So yeah, that's my Backstory about my DC Fandom. When I tell you my Marvel Backstory, you may want to join in.

I also remember that Jack in the Box had a promotion featuring the characters from Grant Morrison's JLA series, I collected all the toys that they had. My dad was all wow though. He even made fun of the always outrageous Aquaman. Stating that he always is useless. :lol 

2. SideswipePrime

SideswipePrime Reply Dump Extraordinaire

I was never into DC, and even now, the only DC superhero I like is Green Lantern, but I think Batman (the hero, not the franchise) is ok, anyway, my first experience was the Green Lantern movie from last year, and I liked it enough that I wanted to buy toys (though I never did since they only have like 5 points of articulation) and I spent the rest of the week going on the DC comics wiki and researching Green Lantern stuff, and when I learned that they were making a new cartoon, I thought to myself "well, if I liked the thing that everyone hated, why not check this out?" And now I really like Green Lantern, and I really hope that the new show gets toys, because I really want a Razer,but people have told me to pick up some of the more recent trades (whatever those are, I'm not into comic books) as for how long? About a year or so

3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    There were a ton of DC cartoons when I was a kid. Superman, Batman, Aquaman, Superfriends, etc. And reruns of the live-action Adam West Batman tv show and George Reeves Superman tv show. Some of my first comics as a little kid just learning how to read were the giant DC Treasury Editions of the 1970s. One of my strongest memories was of the one that reprinted all the Superman/Flash races. I also had a couple Batman Treasuries and both Secret Origins of Super-Villains Treasuries. I think my parents threw them out at some point, but I've managed to re-buy most of them over the years.

Actually, my very earliest exposure to DC characters was probably a Superman segment in an episode of Sesame Street. I know for a fact that my first exposure to any Marvel characters was that Spider-Man used to appear on Electric Company.

4. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Superfriends/Super Powers- nuff said.

5. Doctor Doom

Doctor Doom Doom is best pony Veteran

Same here. Seeing Green Lantern make the energy constructs made me a life long fan of Hal Jordan (only time I ever hated GL was when Kyle took over and they made Hal a villain).

Though my very first comic book was a issue of Superman where an alien race asked him for help and provided a robot Superman to 'hold the fort' while he was away. For the life of me I cant recall what happened. It has to be post-Crisis, about 1986 give or take.

6. HordakFan

HordakFan Banned

I was 4 27 years ago when i watched Superfriends/Super Powers on TV and watched Superman 1 & 2 on video, however my bigger brother saw Superman 1 & 2 in theaters when he was a kid as he became a Superman/DC fan since as he collected comics and i was born the year after SM 2 came out when the only Superman movie i saw in theaters was the awful part 4.

But thanks to Superman 1 & 2 with watching Swamp Thing on video with SuperFriends/Super Powers i became a fan of DC comics as i started to collect comics since then such as Superman, Justice League, a few Wonder-Womans (i had a crush on her), Swamp Thing and others but wasn't huge on Batman cause he had no powers like the other members and i did collected the toys. I also watched reruns of the 70s Wonder-Woman show on one of my city's local TV stations and fell in love with Lynda Carter and i also collected some Vertigo comics like Sandman when i was 6 and same for Watchmen. I mean my parents had no problem of me reading comics that said "Suggested for mature readers" especially with sex, nudity, graphic violence and language in them as the same goes for having no problems of me seeing R-rated movies in theaters since i saw Fright Night or watching R-rated movies on video and cable since they knew me and my bigger brother are Sci-fi, horror, fantasy, action and comedy fans.

I became a Batman fan since i saw 89's movie in theaters 6 times as i learned that you don't need powers to be a superhero and learned to appreciate him as i collected his comics especially Catwoman comics (i had a huge crush on her growing up), Robin, Detective Comics and Nightwing and others.

That's how i became a DC fan

7. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I watched some of the DC cartoons when I was younger and I read a ton of DC's Star Trek comics when I was a kid. My first real exposure, though, was reading through a bunch of my uncle's Zero Hour reboot Legion of Super-Heroes comics in the mid-90s. I really loved those, but never actually followed up by getting any of the newer issues. What really brought me into the comics was reading JSA Classified #1 - the first issue of the Geoff Johns/Amanda Conner Power Girl story. I picked it up on a recommendation and was hooked - first on the JSA, then on DC as a whole.

I've since gone back and read hundreds of back issues - including a very long but dedicated readthrough of the entire run of the Justice League - from Brave & the Bold #28 up through the then-current/still-crappy Brad Meltzer run. At this point, even with the relaunch trying my patience in a lot of places, I still generally prefer DC over Marvel anymore (and as a former Marvel Zombie who dismissed the very notion that DC had any good comics, that is saying a lot).

8. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I've been a DC fan since about 2002 when I was six years old and saw the first two Donner Superman movies and after that I watched things like the Justice League cartoon, Superman TAS, and Batman TAS. My favorite DC hero is Green Lantern because I love the story and the universe. I also have read more Green Lantern comics than any other hero with the exception of the teams like Justice League and The Avengers. I like all the human Green Lanterns, but if I had to rank them from favorite to least favorite it would be Hal Jordan, Kyle Rayner, Jon Stewart, Guy Gardner, then Alan Scott. My second favorite DC hero is Wonder Woman because I love the Greek mythology aspect of her character.

9. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Interner Soldier

News Credits:
    Justice League/Unlimited. I remember seeing the episode where Flash, John, Hawkgirl, and Martian Manhunter are transported to a world populated by look-a-likes of their Silver age counterparts.

I could always remember "The Streak" saying a not quite racist thing to John. I miss being 10, it flew over my head.

10. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    This. Seeing the Superfriends as a kid started a life-long love for all the DC heroes. Shows like Batman: TAS, Superman: TAS, JL, JLU and some of the DCAU movies take me back to those great times.

11. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Batman: The Animated Series. Cemented Batman as my favorite superhero, and BTAS as my favorite show.

12. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

Super Friends for me as well, back in the very early 1980s. Me and my cousin used to watch it religiously every time I'd have to go to my aunt's house. We'd pretend we were Batman's arch-enemies when we kept taking shot at his Batman bop bag, and that's also where we spent the Christmas that I got my first piece of DC merchandise: that Superman hand-puppet with Superman's costume printed on one side of the body, Clark Kent's clothes on the other, the glasses you'd cut out off the back of the box, and it came with plastic ping-pong-type balls covered with red and green velcro strips that would attach to him when you threw them at him.

It grew gradually from there - my brother let me read his old paperback-novel sized B/W collection of Silver Age Superman stories covered in fabulously pink trim with a classic Swan coverage image of Superman taking on a Kryptonian dragon (which I think I ultimately ended up inflicting enough abuse on for it to get thrown out), and an awesome giant-sized Batman collection with a gorgeous painted Infantino cover of Batman standing in front of the Bat-Signal in the night sky - to ultimately seeing the first two Superman movies on cable and the third one in the theater on a school trip, and I think it was cemented when I got to shake hands with Adam West and Burt Ward, IN their costumes (before WB's legal department put a stop to that), naught but a few yards away from their Batmobile, at the World of Wheels show in Omaha in 1986 - of course it helped that even twenty years after the fact they were still in pretty decent shape by that point that they didn't look all that much less in the outfits.

13. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First got into the DCU comics with the "Death/Return of Superman" and "Knightfall" storylines. I followed all of the Superman titles up until about halfway through the "electric Superman" arc and read the Bat-family books through the end of "Prodigal", which was around the time the Superman books got too stupid and I just lost interest in Batman. I read a number of other titles as well, including Morrison's JLA, the first few years of Kyle's run in GL, some issues of Flash and Impulse, Titans, Superboy and other random stuff that escapes me now. Around the time I dropped the Superman books, I got burned out on Big Two superhero comics in general and dropped everything else, selling and/or giving away most of the issues I had.

I got back in to following the DC comics when I saw that the Cyborg Superman, one of my favorite characters, was returning in the GL books (GL v4 #12, IIRC). I had initially planned on just getting that arc, but the Sinestro Corps subplot caught my interest and I started following the GL books, even though I didn't care much for Hal. I also picked up Identity Crisis, Infinite Crisis and some of the associated books. While I enjoyed some of those books (eg - Villains United), as well as 52, none of them were compelling enough to interest me in any other DC books and the increasing amount of Silver Age stuff in the DCU turned me off. After Blackest Night, I quit collecting monthly comics again and started trade-waiting the GL books. Post-Reboot, I'm still trade-waiting GL and New Guardians, but won't be getting Red Lanterns or GLC and I can see a day coming soon where I won't be reading any DCU comics. And that will put me out of Big Two superhero comics again since, with rare exceptions (Marvel Zombies, Nextwave), I haven't bought a Marvel comic/TPB since the end of the original Clone Saga.

Outside of the comics, my first exposure to DC characters in other media was probably the Burton Batman films, but I didn't really get interested until BtAS, StAS and the beginnings of the DCAU.

14. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    Unfortunately, I've never been a big DC comics buff. Wish I was, but I just never formed the interest.
    My first non-cartoon related experience was a Krypto comic, where he went berserk and just went crazy against Mongol.
    Other than that, Batman: TAS.

15. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This.

16. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If I remember correctly, my first DC comic I ever got was Green Lantern #100 (3rd series). So yeah, since then.

17. Koolimus Prime

Koolimus Prime Weapons Expert

I used to watch the Adam West Batman when I was like 5 or 6, but never reallygot into any DC stuff untill The Dark Knight, even then, I'm mostly a Batman fan and don't know much about the other characters.

18. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I've been a fan all my life. DC is older than me and most people I've met like to refer to Superman when they are asked to do something they can't do.

19. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus Page D'Ecriture Spy Cousin Jeice

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Wow.

20. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

Justice League cartoon.