Customs: How long from work table to completion?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Death333, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    Time, Worst Enemy or Best Enemy???

On average, how long does it take for you to complete a complete repaint, minor mod/repaint, major mod or scratch build?

Personally I'm just curious because atm I have two projects (1 complete repaint and one minor mod/complete repaint) that have reached the 6 month mark due to life's interrupting arm. One of them has been paid for by the customer and to date he has been very gracious, understanding and patient. The second was a free pitty project because the customer originally enlisted the help of someone else who sat on it for nearly a year and a half.

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think there are two definitions of "time" to be worked out for this discussion:

Time #1: the work duration; the quantity of work spent creating

Time #2: the distance of moments between conceptualization to final product, which includes Time #1

In short, time #1 is the actual work; time #2 is how long a project goes on

3. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Depends. As kitbashing is an art, and art is so heavily based on one's emotions and current (as of doing the project) psychological state, there's no set time for each category, even for a single kitbasher.

For me, i can spend 1 day on a straight repaint, working hour shifts, hand painting, and it'll come out great if i'm happy that day. If life absolutely sucks, i'm running out of paint, everything that can go wrong does, then a week or two. Or if i'm lazy (which is almost always! :lol ), then quite a bit longer.

4. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    I've done straight repaints inside of a week. I've also had three projects on my table for a year now. Finding all the right peices, re-working ideas, testing things out, researching subjects...it can all take time.

5. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think I started my first in september....it's not done yet but I have a job that is deadline sensitive so it has to take a backseat to that and halo.

The other ones seem to go faster and I had to realize I can't customize everything that sounds like a good idea to me.

6. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

it usually takes a full day for me to do a major custom mod on a figure

last one i did involved
    2 junker incomplete energon stormjets
    1 energon skyblast
    and 1 energon barricade

basicly i salvaged both shoulders and inner shoulder folding panels from the stormjets abd used them as a kind of improvised set of combiner ports with one O RING part being set into place inside of barricades upper torso through the bottom center front of it and the other O RING being set into place on the front of his control cab backpack in place of the energon starport

with one plugstud being set up on skyblasts back and the other set into place on the fansprojects missile cannons weapons pack itself

in core body combiner mode bruticus's flat back through the uppr body would serve as the front of bruticus's upper body so that skyblast in flying wing vehicle mode can plug into place on the front of bruticus's upper body with the fansprojects add on set missile cannons backpack would lugi nto place on the control cab backpack on bruticus's back to give the combiner form more of a retro g1 look

7. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

It really is dependent on so many factors. I did some commissioned repaint work in a few days between working on other things last week, but I've had customs that have sat untouched for a year or more before I pick them back up again (remember Slicer?). I've also got some I've started that are still stashed in the basement, many of which will probably never get finished, though I may have to sift through them for parts some time.

I think the key factor is how long a custom will take from conception to finish, and whether that time is short enough for me to complete it before I get distracted by another idea. :p 

8. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    the one im working on currently is going on 8 months but its a beast and i dont work on it everyday. (although this week i have)

9. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    about 4 months for scratchbuilding, and a week or two for painting. However I dont like to paint already existing figures, so I dont have to strip and clean those things :) 

10. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You guys doing it in a day...don't you allow time for the paints to cure fully (dry to the touch still doesn't mean they fully bonded underneath)?

11. Superquad7

News Credits:
    For work that I've done fully in a day I just let it set and cure while I move on to something else (usually going to work :lol ).

12. Altitron

Altitron Commercial Artist

Ebay:
    I think I started bashing back in '05, and since then, I've finished... 4 customs? Three of which were glorified repaints. The only real heavy bash that I've actually forced myself to finish was for Sector 70's Headmaster challenge. My bashing bench is a black hole for creativity. :) 

I have /a ton/ of projects in various stages of work, but I rarely ever see anything through to completion. I've had things on my desk or in 'temporary' storage bins for well over a year without ever picking it back up.

Commissions and charity contributions aside, I don't enforce a time table on myself when it comes to these things. Most importantly, I consider bashing a hobby, and not another place that I need to clock in and out of. However, I really do refuse to compromise with my work. If something is not turning out the way that I had originally envisioned it, I will put it down for the time being and find something else to work on until I get the spark of motivation and enginuity to overcome the obstacle. Really, 2 months or 2 years may pass before I get a brainstorm to solve a problem that I had. Time is not an issue with me. I suppose I could say that a project will last for however long it takes for me to be personally satisfied with my work.

- Alty

13. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    I only did Repiants and kitbashes.

there are dirrent times to complete:

from 4 hours up to 4 weeks including finding an idea

most ideas i get while i pait another toy...

14. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Though each custom presents its own challenges and needs, usually a typical repaint where I'm repainting and/or modding the bulk of the figure takes me around 20-30 hours or so. I can be very picky with things, and I grow even more so with things.

As far as from start - finish, if I'm on my game, I can bust that out in a week. My typical average is 3 weeks just because of the amount of spare time plus other life issues intervening.

I'd also like to say that my typical pattern of doing things is very one-tracked, especially since I can tend to have a one track mind, more often than not. My preference is to have one project started, and bust that out until it's finished. I've had as many as 8 projects going simultaneously, though (not as in just started, but all going on at once where I'm just bouncing around). That's sorta fun, but often times it's all about the end product for me.

That being said, I do have a great many projects that aren't finished and have only seen the light of day on my table. I've only shared with a few what's going on with those projects. My customs aren't like some batch of top secret, government projects, but that's a topic for another discussion. :lol