How Long Do Your Transformers Sit In Captivity?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by thenatureboywoo, Aug 27, 2010.

1. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    WARNING! Not for MISB collectors. Reader Discretion advised.

I haven't been collecting for all that long, close to three years now. I remember being a bearded manchild not being able to wait to get these bubble packs and boxes home to rip them open. It would kill me to wait overnight to tear that plastic and cardboard prison open, snipping those wire and paper ties with no care in the world. But as I've gotten deeper into my hobby and a little more patient, I can wait days with no anxiety to open them. The only little bit on anxiousness I get is waiting for a package to arrive or to actually get something in hand. I have a new Battle Blade Optimus Prime that I've had for a week now and I may plan to open him tommorow, who knows. How long do you other members wait until you open them sweet toys? Ever wait months, or years?

2. MADMEX33

MADMEX33 Well-Known Member

If they're lucky they'll make it home still in package:dunce 

3. Deadboy

Deadboy Well-Known Member

I often open them the second I get in the car. If I can wait past that, they get opened the second I get home. I see no reason to wait to enjoy my new toys.

4. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I'll wait until I get home and have time to relax and take my time with it.

5. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    I'm currently out of display room, so waiting is kind of easy.
    I'm not one to play with my TFs, I usually just transform them for display purposes.
    Actually, the last 4 TFAs are still sealed.

6. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They rarely make it home in the package. If my two year old son is with me, we wait til we get him and turn it into a ritual, and he gets to check them out too.

7. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    I have 263 tfs...only 9 are out the box....

8. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    i do not wait days, months or years for open a fig, i Sometiems tear the box into peices just mintues after buying a figure and aslo soemtiems i wait till i go Home (i Sometiems put the figure back into their boxes when i bored then take them out later

9. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker \/ /\

News Credits:
    Not long. Not at all. If I can, I'll open it up in the car.

In fact, the only MISB Transformers I have are ROTF Bobbleheads Prime and Megatron.

10. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I still open most of them by days end when I get them, but I am not as anxious to get to them as I was before. I was just thinking that the next movie toys probably will be left MISB since I don't have anything other than HA figures and a few select characters on display from the last movie. Of course when the Fansproject Bruticus upgrade parts get to me in the next week or so, I will be rippin and tearin that bitch to shreds.

I think for me it comes down to a few things:
    1. As the Junkie^ says say, lack of room to display new stuff (though my collection isn't quite as extensive as yours Junkie)
    2. Lackluster retail product for me (Movie meh, my animated is packed away, WFC meh, don't care for comic book characters, already have Japanese versions of Grimlock, Thrust, Red Alert).
    3. The hunt is more exciting than the treasure.
    4. Shifted to the POL with BBTS, so shit arrives long after I have bought it, kind of forced patience.
    5. Same old same old. I have opened hundreds of nerdformers in the past three years, it just isn't that exciting after a while.

11. 643cade

643cade Well-Known Member

Depends. I generally get multiples for the figures that I really want and love, just so I have the MISB and the figs to actually play with. For example, Big Daddy from the movie line is staying in his box until I can get my hands on another, and then he'll join the ranks of my "FREEDOMMMMM!!!" TFs. Same with the majority of my Barricades. Others I've opened up immediately after buying. So... eh, just depends really.

12. optronix72

optronix72 Autobot

Ebay:
    I have some that are going on four years now, (my ths 02 Prime my favorite) stuck in there packages in a plastic tote I'm looking at now, I know someday I will have room to get them out and display them, but for now they remained stored.

13. autobotblaster

autobotblaster Y U NO!?!?!

Latley I've been mib collecting for some reason, I actually don't like keeping them in the box and love to rip them open.... and that's were the love kinda stops. Like some one said in the thread already "the hunt is more fun that the treasure" and for a few lines that's true. I guess tfs as a collecting to display line kinda dwindled, but damn are they fun on road trips/the office

14. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Only get what I really like anyway, so I dont get alot these days. So now I just go by a size system. The only MISB figure I have is the ROTF mail away Ravage.

Scout: Car
    Deluxe: Car/Home
    Voyager and up: Home

15. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For

ev

er!!!

16. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    For me 90% or more opened in the same month after purchase/delivery. If I don't have enough interest to open a package 30 days after it's in my house, then they probably go to closet until time comes I guess. Usually repaints...like HTS Universe SE deluxes, Target ROTF Superion and Bruticus,
    6" Titanium, SDCC Soundwave, etc. Haven't opened mail away Ravage either.
    But there's repaints that I open right away, like red Powerglide, Thrust, Red Alert, Ghost Starscream, and such. So I guess it has to do with the paint job.

17. TornadoQuakeX

TornadoQuakeX Decepti-Creep

I wait until I get home to open my figures. I don't like to rush things. The only figures I have MISB are the ROTF Sideways and Breakaway dark variants.

18. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    Unless it's a VERY rare case, like one or two figures I thought I might have ended up returning, or a situation where I receive a figure I already has as a gift (or in the Double Your Action giveaway :p ), the packaging is ripped open as soon as possible. Rarely does a new toy of mine stay in package longer than a few minutes after arriving home with it from the store or receiving it in the mail.

The only other case I can think of is when I get a bunch at once, because I like to take my time playing with the various features of each new figure as I open them.

19. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    usually in the parking lot of the store, or as soon as the package arrives

20. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    Sometimes they get set free in the foodcourt, sometimes in the carpark, & on other occasions as soon as I get home. That reminds me - I really should get around to opening my Magnificus, Sunstorm & my boxed Japanese MM Hot Rod Patrol...