Customs: How long do you spend on a custom?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Rexidus, May 12, 2012.

1. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm curious about something. How long do people generally spend on a custom?

So far I've only done repaints and when I do that I usually spend a day doing it (letting the sealer dry over night before reassembly). But I'm wondering if I'm negatively impacting my work like this.

How long do you guys generally spend on your customs? (And not restricted to repaints)

2. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I usually don't finish it all in one go; I work for about two hours and go at it again another day when I feel like it through out the week. Usually it takes me around like 4-6 hoursish working total if I'm painting a lot and adding final touches.

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    It certainly depends on a number of things, mostly the level of work needed.

4. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I have a ton of unfinished kitbashes. Do you only want me to count the actual work time? Or actual time since I started? If the later, then you'll have to wait til I actually finish some of them to tell you. :lol 

5. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    I have been working on my constructions for well over a year but they are pretty extensive rebuilds.

I like to give things 48 hours for paint cure in most cases but that's with rattle cans I have never airbrushed

6. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm mostly just curious how long people spend on these compared to me. And yeah I'm curious about actual time spent on one not time including breaks.

7. Wikkid

Wikkid Semi-retired customizer

A typical individual re-shell will take me around 8-10 hours of basic construction. Planning isn't something that can be factored in. Paint is maybe another 4 hours but I do most of my colours at once as basecaot allows for multi toning within 10 minutes.

A full-on re-structure can take 40-50 hours of construction depending on details and is typically spread out over the course of 6 months to a year. Re-shelled and restructured combiners are always over two years.

8. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    If I had the time to actually sit & work on things each day, I could have stuff cranked out pretty quickly (within a couple of days or less). Given that I work, have family to care for, dogs, & work, it takes months (& a couple of them, years even). I just don't have the time I used to, but I certainly won't stop working on customs. As of now, my latest (Galvatron) has been in the works for 2 years now & it's finally starting to near completion. I also have some parts I need to find time to finish on commission. Just been swamped like hell lately.

9. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime autobot

Depends on the bot and how much I'm doing to it. I paint fairly fast and get caught up in the momentum like I would on canvas and paper. Sometimes I'll paint on two or three at a time so I both don't waste paint and try to get more done. So while ones drying, I paint another and just switch back and forth between the two or work on another, conveyor belt style.

On days like that, then it's only a couple of hours to a day (you said counting no break time just strictly work time). On more complex ones, then definetly more than a day and can be weeks. The bigger they (leader classes for instance automatically take weeks to do). That's not even taking into account if I have to make any changes to the figure and how extensive the changes may be.

Hope that helps.

10. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I'm in the same boat. I'm fortunate to get one or two hours in an evening to work on customs...